The Student Room Group

Higher English - 2020/2021

This is where we chat about the higher English course and hope to help each other with advice when needed!

PLEASE READ VERY BENEFICIAL FOR YOUR QUALIFICATION!
Frequently asked questions:
1.) What is the finale exam like?

Spoiler

2.) What is the portfolio about?

Spoiler

3.) I want to read other peoples essay (which have already been marked!), is that allowed?

Spoiler

4.) I’m stuck on essay ideas. Can you help?

Spoiler

5.) I’m stuck on analysis.

Spoiler

6.) What’s the best way to study?

Spoiler

7.) My questions isn’t here, what do I do?
Answer - Just ask here!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What textbook would you recommend?
I personally think the Leckie Leckie and BrightRed textbooks are best for RUAE. For your set texts/essays, it may be worth getting any analysis book about them (not necessarily SQA-based) as most of the analysis will transfer. I personally wouldn’t recommend the Hodder Gibson books, as from personal experience they seem to teach you in a weirdly specific way that doesn’t always work for some people. Although, that being said, I honestly think there is an abundance of online resources such as youtube videos, annotated poems, book analyses, past papers etc that I personally found more useful than textbooks.
does anyone have the 2020/2021 p&n publications English paper
Had anyone done the prelim? If so what article did u have to read
P&N prelim for RUAE done here. It really was not that bad, cover past paper questions and you should be absolutely fine.
Original post by Saybot404
P&N prelim for RUAE done here. It really was not that bad, cover past paper questions and you should be absolutely fine.

Do u remember the name of the article? Or what it was about at least so i don’t stress too much :’)
Original post by Ahhhhhelpppppp
Do u remember the name of the article? Or what it was about at least so i don’t stress too much :’)

No... sorry. Wouldn't really help seeing the article prior to it anyways as at the end of the day it's the analysis skills you're really looking for. Just cover past papers/practice papers and it's the exact same standard.
Reply 8
I was wondering how you do the commonality question for CAD and how do you learn the analysis and points of commonality. My teacher this year for english rambles a lot so he hasnt given us a set method to answer the last question.
critical reading for prose fiction is apparently character, setting and turning point
Original post by montgomery82
critical reading for prose fiction is apparently character, setting and turning point

Is this the P&N prelim higher English?? So setting is one of the questions ? (Pls reply ASAP)
(edited 3 years ago)
No... sorry. Wouldn't really help seeing the article prior to it anyways as at the end of the day it's the analysis skills you're really looking for. Just cover past papers/practice papers and it's the exact same standard.

It would help me a lot, so If anyone else remembers then pls let me know I’m so stressed out over RUAE
It would help me a lot, so If anyone else remembers then pls let me know I’m so stressed out over RUAE

I know we don’t have exams this year, but in an exam you wouldn’t get to see it prior. Please don’t try to cheat your way through Higher English, it makes the skills way harder to learn in such a valuable course! Also a word of warning, one of the schools in the city I live in had to redo their whole paper cos it was revealed that they had found out what the exam paper was on from friends at different school who had done it prior. So my advice is to just do your past papers, revise your techniques, and ask teachers for lots of help, and you’ll do fine :smile:.
Original post by Caps_21
I was wondering how you do the commonality question for CAD and how do you learn the analysis and points of commonality. My teacher this year for english rambles a lot so he hasnt given us a set method to answer the last question.

I'm also doing Duffy, here. Let me have a quick rundown of how to do commonality. There are likely to be other methods but this is what I have taught (and gotten good marks for!):

Make use of the three headings below.

Note, my examples are in reference to the question below for IMTC, from a Leckie Practice Paper.

Question
By referring to this poem and to at least one other poem by Carol Ann Duffy, show how she explores a darker side of growing up in her work. (10)

Commonality (2 marks)
Comment on how the exam poem links to another, or several, poem(s) from Duffy.
I like to do this by linking to key themes - they give a really simple way of 'linking' between poems. I will attach a key theme document to this post if you don't have something like this.

In 'In Mrs Tilchser's Class', Duffy explores the key theme of growing up in the form of how moving on from primary school is a big step in life and that there is more to worry about as an adult.

In 'Originally', similarly, Duffy explores the key theme of growing up in the form of how a person can change as they age and lose a sense of identity.

Extract (2 marks)
Answers worth two marks. Take your pick of any quotes from the poem in front of you (in this case, IMTC), and answer relating to the question. You can follow the structure on how you'd normally answer your questions.
Note: you do not need to remember the quote - you can 'reference' it. An example of this is further below.

Remember to discuss the impact of this - usually on the persona... SQA are really really clamping down on this.

"tangible alarm" - The word choice of 'alarm' has negative connotations of being in danger, sirens, as well as waking up to a new day. This suggests that as persona progresses in life she is beginning to become more aware and exposed to the dangers of adulthood.

"sky split open into a thunderstorm" - The metaphor and pathetic fallacy highlight the word choice of 'thunderstorm' which has negative connotations of danger, pain and gloom. This is foreshadowing the worries and risk the persona is going to feel as she becomes older.

Elsewhere (6 marks)
This is where the majority of your marks are from. Answers worth six marks. Basically do the same as above, but with the poem, or poems, you listed in the commonality section. You don't get marks if you do another poem (for example, in my answer, if I began starting to analyse any quote from Valentine I'd get 0 marks as I didn't make the commonality link).
Again, remember the impact.

"shedding its skin like a snake" - Metaphor. Just as a snake sheds its skin to reveal new skin, so too is the persona's accent going away to reveal a new one. This shows that the impact of aging and moving places can change a person and this can make the persona lose who she is.

Where the persona uses a rhetorical question asking herself who she is - The rhetorical question emphasises the persona's struggles of who she feels she is, to try to figure out her identity. This conveys that aging can result in changes in your life, like moving home, which can result in a loss of identity and leaves a person feeling lost and confused.

...and so on, needing 4 more answers to reach 6 marks.

Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm also doing Duffy, here. Let me have a quick rundown of how to do commonality. There are likely to be other methods but this is what I have taught (and gotten good marks for!):

Make use of the three headings below.

Note, my examples are in reference to the question below for IMTC, from a Leckie Practice Paper.

Question
By referring to this poem and to at least one other poem by Carol Ann Duffy, show how she explores a darker side of growing up in her work. (10)

Commonality (2 marks)
Comment on how the exam poem links to another, or several, poem(s) from Duffy.
I like to do this by linking to key themes - they give a really simple way of 'linking' between poems. I will attach a key theme document to this post if you don't have something like this.

In 'In Mrs Tilchser's Class', Duffy explores the key theme of growing up in the form of how moving on from primary school is a big step in life and that there is more to worry about as an adult.

In 'Originally', similarly, Duffy explores the key theme of growing up in the form of how a person can change as they age and lose a sense of identity.

Extract (2 marks)
Answers worth two marks. Take your pick of any quotes from the poem in front of you (in this case, IMTC), and answer relating to the question. You can follow the structure on how you'd normally answer your questions.
Note: you do not need to remember the quote - you can 'reference' it. An example of this is further below.

Remember to discuss the impact of this - usually on the persona... SQA are really really clamping down on this.

"tangible alarm" - The word choice of 'alarm' has negative connotations of being in danger, sirens, as well as waking up to a new day. This suggests that as persona progresses in life she is beginning to become more aware and exposed to the dangers of adulthood.

"sky split open into a thunderstorm" - The metaphor and pathetic fallacy highlight the word choice of 'thunderstorm' which has negative connotations of danger, pain and gloom. This is foreshadowing the worries and risk the persona is going to feel as she becomes older.

Elsewhere (6 marks)
This is where the majority of your marks are from. Answers worth six marks. Basically do the same as above, but with the poem, or poems, you listed in the commonality section. You don't get marks if you do another poem (for example, in my answer, if I began starting to analyse any quote from Valentine I'd get 0 marks as I didn't make the commonality link).
Again, remember the impact.

"shedding its skin like a snake" - Metaphor. Just as a snake sheds its skin to reveal new skin, so too is the persona's accent going away to reveal a new one. This shows that the impact of aging and moving places can change a person and this can make the persona lose who she is.

Where the persona uses a rhetorical question asking herself who she is - The rhetorical question emphasises the persona's struggles of who she feels she is, to try to figure out her identity. This conveys that aging can result in changes in your life, like moving home, which can result in a loss of identity and leaves a person feeling lost and confused.

...and so on, needing 4 more answers to reach 6 marks.

Hope this helps. :smile:

In the “other poems” I’m pretty sure you can do as many different poems (from the ones you have studied) as you want and you still get marks (I did anyways:smile: and did not mention all in commonality)
In the “other poems” I’m pretty sure you can do as many different poems (from the ones you have studied) as you want and you still get marks (I did anyways:smile: and did not mention all in commonality)

Haha, well, you got lucky that your teacher doesn't know how to properly mark SQA exams. You should not have gotten the mark if you didn't mention it in commonality. Definitely do not keep doing this in future!!! 😅
(edited 3 years ago)
Haha, well, you got lucky. You should not have gotten the mark if you didn't mention it in commonality. Definitely do not keep doing this!!! 😅

Does this mean I can mention 4 poems in commonality or only 2??
Does this mean I can mention 4 poems in commonality or only 2??

You could technically do 4 poems in commonality, leaving you open for more choices in elsewhere. But that would be a heck of a lot more work to do, which isn't great when you're in an exam setting where time is precious. You'd be writing 5 commonality comments for 2 marks instead of 2 commonality comments for 2 marks, if that makes sense.
Hi, have you sat the prelim yet? And was setting one of the options?
Original post by help1578
Hi, have you sat the prelim yet? And was setting one of the options?

Every school will do different prelims. Yes, the SQA have released a paper, but schools both don't have to use them nor do they have to use the paper exactly as it is. They can easily modify the paper. Don't try to cheat this year's system, as it could quite easily bite you in the butt later on by your school's prelim choice. Revise for it like you would an exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending