The Student Room Group

Drama school with little experience?

I understand that to get into drama school, you'd need to excel in your audition (I assume they look for talent) but I wanted to know if experience is an essential element.

I have no experience other than the ones listed below, which are all at my school -

Played Nigel in ‘Matilda’
Played Benny Lee in ‘Bugsy Malone’
Played King Duncan in ‘Macbeth’
Played Ugly Sister No 2 in ‘Fairy tale Characters’
Achieved a BTEC in Performing Arts

I also practise screenwriting on the side, which helps me better my acting skills.

I am 18 this year, thinking of applying to drama school for September.
Do I stand a chance?
I think you definitely do! What ones are you looking at? Competitive ones like GSA might be harder but definitely possible! Local schools are a good option too!
Original post by Buddingdentist08
I think you definitely do! What ones are you looking at? Competitive ones like GSA might be harder but definitely possible! Local schools are a good option too!

To be honest, I haven't looked at loads - I was considering a uni degree in screenwriting alongside entering a uni drama society. Do you know if that sounds like a good idea?
Original post by Joel Hodgson
To be honest, I haven't looked at loads - I was considering a uni degree in screenwriting alongside entering a uni drama society. Do you know if that sounds like a good idea?

I’m not really sure from an educator standpoint. But to me it certainly sounds like fun! Good luck!
Original post by Buddingdentist08
I’m not really sure from an educator standpoint. But to me it certainly sounds like fun! Good luck!

Thanks
I understand that to get into drama school, you'd need to excel in your audition (I assume they look for talent) but I wanted to know if experience is an essential element.

I have no experience other than the ones listed below, which are all at my school -

I also practise screenwriting on the side, which helps me better my acting skills.

Do I stand a chance?

Yes, but be prepared to try for 2-3 years before getting in.

Do I stand a chance?

I think if you are 18 and are coming straight from school the panel understand there is only a certain amount of experience realistically you would have. For your first round usually you will only perform your speeches without much of an interview/questions so it's unlikely they would be asking about your experience before they've seen your work.

If you don't get in this year but decide to apply again, I'd recommend joining a drama group, young company or taking improvisation classes or acting coaching to develop these skills further.
Reply 7
Original post by DramaSchoolTutor
I think if you are 18 and are coming straight from school the panel understand there is only a certain amount of experience realistically you would have. For your first round usually you will only perform your speeches without much of an interview/questions so it's unlikely they would be asking about your experience before they've seen your work.

If you don't get in this year but decide to apply again, I'd recommend joining a drama group, young company or taking improvisation classes or acting coaching to develop these skills further.

Hi do you know if there are online groups going on just now that you would recommend joining
Me too - I think this is good
From what I’ve heard when at workshops and speaking to tutors at conservatories (some who didn’t get in till they were much older)

It’s a complete toss up. Yes they want to see some passion experience which you have.

They create an ensemble/cast for the year. So it’s all luck really on how your audition goes and if they’ve already put someone similar in the group. Which is why they can’t just take 30 18 year olds.. etc you need a mixture :smile:

The best thing to do is give it a go. It’s experience for you also in auditioning for the school, I’ve auditioned places where I thought I really wanted to get in, but actually the audition process was horrific and put me off.

You have to go into it as this is me this is who I am here’s my best. And keep doing it and see what happens!

They want people they can train and mould, you may not have as much experience as you like, but that could go in your favour.

If someone’s really experienced then they may question why they are applying in the first place or not applying for a post grad position.
Original post by gandalfslipper
From what I’ve heard when at workshops and speaking to tutors at conservatories (some who didn’t get in till they were much older)

It’s a complete toss up. Yes they want to see some passion experience which you have.

They create an ensemble/cast for the year. So it’s all luck really on how your audition goes and if they’ve already put someone similar in the group. Which is why they can’t just take 30 18 year olds.. etc you need a mixture :smile:

The best thing to do is give it a go. It’s experience for you also in auditioning for the school, I’ve auditioned places where I thought I really wanted to get in, but actually the audition process was horrific and put me off.

You have to go into it as this is me this is who I am here’s my best. And keep doing it and see what happens!

They want people they can train and mould, you may not have as much experience as you like, but that could go in your favour.

If someone’s really experienced then they may question why they are applying in the first place or not applying for a post grad position.

Thanks for this - I will use this advice. I suppose extensive experience can work either in favour or against someone.
Hi thank you for this. I am thinking of joining my local college's theatre plays next year (everything's on hold at the moment, because of covid). I live in Lancashire in the north of England and there aren't that many theatres near me. I have considered joining a group online, I think my college may be doing one. Thanks for your advice. Whereabouts do you work? Thanks
Original post by DramaSchoolTutor
We teach a range of students from all over the UK over Zoom - this works well as this year all first round auditions are done remotely and over Zoom or via self tape anyway. Joining your local college's theatre plays is a great idea - what I would say is I think the real 'brownie points' are to be won in the extra-curricular things that show you are engaging with acting and theatre outside of school. Make sure you're not only taking part in classes outside school, but seeing theatre (obviously not a lot of theatre going around at the moment, but livestreamed productions are available from places like the Bush, the National Theatre Online and RSC live (via Marquee). This, along with your classes and extra curricular productions and activities, will demonstrate your passion, experience and engagement outside of school. One interview question that comes up semi-regularly is "what was the last production you saw that really had an impact on you and why?".

If you'd like any more information on the audition process in general, my coaching partner and I are doing free 20 minute consultations (via Zoom) where we chat to applicants and you can pick our brains a bit more about the audition process. We've both sat on the audition panel for our respective drama schools (Central and LIPA) so can hopefully offer you a helpful perspective. PM me your email address if you wish and I'd be happy to send you more info.

Thanks - and best of luck!

Hi - thanks for this. It seems a good idea. My email is address is below.
[email protected]

You may contact me on this address for further information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending