The Student Room Group

University of Leeds Rejection

I've just received an update from UCAS track to tell me my application to study Law with French Law has been rejected by Leeds. However, they haven't given me a reason for the rejection. I'm very disappointed by this as I wanted to make Leeds my firm choice.

I personally think my application was good, in terms of my personal statement, and I'm predicted A*,A,A this year. The entry requirements for the course are A,A,A so I don't understand why they've rejected me.

The course isn't down as a popular course because of the French Law, so they can't have rejected me for the course being too popular like UCAS have suggested.

I've emailed the applications team, but I've gotten an automated response saying they're busy and in high demand so it could take a while to reply.

I've seen this has happened to other people, does anyone know if they could've possibly made a mistake? And does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bekki S
I've just received an update from UCAS track to tell me my application to study Law with French Law has been rejected by Leeds. However, they haven't given me a reason for the rejection. I'm very disappointed by this as I wanted to make Leeds my firm choice.

I personally think my application was good, in terms of my personal statement, and I'm predicted A*,A,A this year. The entry requirements for the course are A,A,A so I don't understand why they've rejected me.

The course isn't down as a popular course because of the French Law, so they can't have rejected me for the course being too popular like UCAS have suggested.

I've emailed the applications team, but I've gotten an automated response saying they're busy and in high demand so it could take a while to reply.

I've seen this has happened to other people, does anyone know if they could've possibly made a mistake? And does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do?

Dont beat yourself up.
Be patient.
Wait to see what grades you get as well as what other offers.
Get feedback.
If Leeds is still a thing then apply with known grades the following year.

Sounds like its more your personal statement.
Original post by Bekki S

What A-levels are you taking?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
What A-levels are you taking?

Law, French, Sociology and I'm doing an EPQ which they said would lower the entry requirements as well.
Original post by Bekki S
Law, French, Sociology and I'm doing an EPQ which they said would lower the entry requirements as well.

Hmm, in that case their decision does indeed seem strange. Although patience is generally a virtue, you will find out a lot quicker by phoning them.
Reply 5
Original post by Bekki S

I think you did the right thing by emailing them hopefully they respond within the next few days. Maybe they're not running Law with French this year or something? It is a bit weird you got rejected tho especially since your grades are above the requirements. This makes me nervous I applied to straight Law at Leeds with the same predicted as you.
It doesn’t matter if you’re doing the french law but you’re still doing law.
Leeds are the second most applied to uni after Manchester their law course is very competitive.
Reply 7
Original post by Peter76530
It doesn’t matter if you’re doing the french law but you’re still doing law.
Leeds are the second most applied to uni after Manchester their law course is very competitive.

I get that they're a competitive uni but how can their course be full if the application deadline hasn't even been yet? Surely they have to wait until the deadline? And my predicted grades are higher than some people I know who've got offers from Leeds, which is why it has confused me.
I have to admit this is a rather pathetic post.

Not as pathetic as the one below, perhaps?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6712284
Reply 9
Original post by ella.xx
I think you did the right thing by emailing them hopefully they respond within the next few days. Maybe they're not running Law with French this year or something? It is a bit weird you got rejected tho especially since your grades are above the requirements. This makes me nervous I applied to straight Law at Leeds with the same predicted as you.

I'm sure you'll do fine, good luck with your application!
Rejections are not just on your predicted grades - they do actually read your Personal Statement as well and score it.

Its most likely that your application was not as good as some others, who may also have higher predictions and also assumed they would just get an offer.
Reply 11
I have to admit this is a rather pathetic post.

It's not pathetic to be worried about my future, considering I have to now rethink what uni I'm making my firm choice. I'm already worried about Covid and the possibility of remote learning. I'd prefer to be at a uni closer to home, and this was one of my only choices for the course I want to do.
Reply 12
Original post by McGinger
Rejections are not just on your predicted grades - they do actually read your Personal Statement as well and score it.

Its most likely that your application was not as good as some others, who may also have higher predictions and also assumed they would just get an offer.

I didn't assume I would just get an offer, I'm just disappointed as I've had my heart set on Leeds for a while and I've worked hard to get the grades I'm working at. I always knew their was that possibility but it's still upsetting when it actually happens.
Reply 13
Hmm, in that case their decision does indeed seem strange. Although patience is generally a virtue, you will find out a lot quicker by phoning them.

They're currently out of office, and I think I've read elsewhere that they're not answering phone calls due to covid. I'm going to try ringing them though. Thanks for your advice!
Original post by Bekki S
but it's still upsetting when it actually happens.

Yes - but you do just have to just accept that and move on.

We can't always have everything we want.

What other offers have you get so far?
Reply 15
Yes - but you do just have to just accept that and move on.

We can't always have everything we want.

What other offers have you get so far?

Aberystwyth gave me an offer of 112 points (including a B in French)
Bangor gave me an offer of 88 points (with a C in French)
Hull offered 120 points, but they don't do French so it's down as European Legal studies.

I'm still waiting on an offer from Lancaster. I'm thinking of making Aberystwyth my firm choice instead, I'm just stuck on my insurance choice.
Original post by Bekki S
Aberystwyth gave me an offer of 112 points (including a B in French)
Bangor gave me an offer of 88 points (with a C in French)
Hull offered 120 points, but they don't do French so it's down as European Legal studies.

I'm still waiting on an offer from Lancaster. I'm thinking of making Aberystwyth my firm choice instead, I'm just stuck on my insurance choice.

Re. Insurance - Bangor is lovely and its a small Uni, beautiful location.

Lancaster would also be a good choice.
Reply 17
Re. Insurance - Bangor is lovely and its a small Uni, beautiful location.

Lancaster would also be a good choice.

Yeah, I like the thought of Bangor being smaller. I just hope I get a good offer from Lancaster, my brother went there and he seemed to enjoy it.
Not as pathetic as the one below, perhaps?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6712284

How’s that pathetic mate?
How’s that pathetic mate?

You come across as absolutely desperate to find a university poor enough to take you. "Oh, please find me the easiest university there is. I'm not very good..."

And you butchered the title.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending