The Student Room Group

trigonometry maths a level question

im struggling to see where what I did was wrong? I mean, i did get a negative answer lol but my reasoning seems fine? if that makes sense.
the mark scheme did it differently to me. any help would be appreciated. thanks :smile:WhatsApp Image 2021-01-20 at 11.35.38 AM.jpeg
Attachment not found
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Can you explain your approach a bit more? It should be reasonably straightforward?
(edited 3 years ago)
I can't see how your working relates to the question - are you sure you've posted the right question?
Original post by mqb2766
Can you explain your approach a bit more? It should be reasonably straightforward?

i used the sine rule to get two equations in terms of h and x. i then rearranged to get both of them in terms of x, then equated the then re-arranged to find the value of h?
Reply 4
Original post by vix.xvi
i used the sine rule to get two equations in terms of h and x. i then rearranged to get both of them in terms of x, then equated the then re-arranged to find the value of h?

But you don't seem to use 80m, why 32 and 38 degrees ....
Rather than the trig mechanics, what are you trying to find and how?
Note that the OP writes 12a for the question they're answering, but the attachment is for a question 6...
Original post by DFranklin
Note that the OP writes 12a for the question they're answering, but the attachment is for a question 6...

Omg tysm for pointing that out

Original post by mqb2766
But you don't seem to use 80m, why 32 and 38 degrees ....
Rather than the trig mechanics, what are you trying to find and how?

I attached the wrong photo im so sorry. Here's the correct question. IMG_20210120_155350903.jpg
Original post by vix.xvi

I attached the wrong photo im so sorry. Here's the correct question. IMG_20210120_155350903.jpg

You've gone wrong when you multiply through as you've 'ignored' doing anything to the 15.

You seem to have made it very complicated - they are right angled triangles so you could have used tan

e.g. tan 40 = h/(x + 15) and ...
Original post by vix.xvi

Your 50o50^o angle seems to change to 30o30^o for no obvious reason.

Your workings would be a lot simpler if you used cos <angle> instead of manually converting to sin(90 - <angle>) and you'd be less likely to make mistakes.

Even better, you could directly use tan instead of sin(angle)/sin(90-angle) as you are doing.
Just split it into a right angle triangle and a non right angle triangle. Work out the hypotenuese of the right angled triangle by using sine rule for the non right angled triangle. You can then just use SOHCAHTOA to find the height. As someone said above, you haven't multiplied the 15 by sin52 in your working out when you rearrange. Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
Your 50o50^o angle seems to change to 30o30^o for no obvious reason.

Your workings would be a lot simpler if you used cos <angle> instead of manually converting to sin(90 - <angle>) and you'd be less likely to make mistakes.

Even better, you could directly use tan instead of sin(angle)/sin(90-angle) as you are doing.

Original post by Muttley79
You've gone wrong when you multiply through as you've 'ignored' doing anything to the 15.

You seem to have made it very complicated - they are right angled triangles so you could have used tan

e.g. tan 40 = h/(x + 15) and ...

Thank you for your help x . I tried it using tan it was way easier. Thanks :smile:
Original post by vix.xvi
Thank you for your help x . I tried it using tan it was way easier. Thanks :smile:

Yes - only use sine/cosine rule when there is no right angle :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest