The Student Room Group

A-level subjects

I arrived to the uk this year and I'm in gr11 so I'm having rn 6 GCSE's. I'm applying for A-levels but wtill confused. I want to go medicine in university so is it okay to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Film studies?? Should I take physics or english instead of Film studies or its okay??
Original post by Adam6655
I arrived to the uk this year and I'm in gr11 so I'm having rn 6 GCSE's. I'm applying for A-levels but wtill confused. I want to go medicine in university so is it okay to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Film studies?? Should I take physics or english instead of Film studies or its okay??

Yes those a levels are fine for medicine. But doing four a levels is never recommended. No med school want more than three a levels and the requirement for medicine is usually AAA so AAA will always look better than AABB.
Here’s the list of a level subject requirement for each med school:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DSKE
Yes those a levels are fine for medicine. But doing four a levels is never recommended. No med school want more than three a levels and the requirement for medicine is usually AAA so AAA will always look better than AABB.
Here’s the list of a level subject requirement for each med school:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

Idk but i read that film studies is an easy subject and tbh I'm interested in such stuff..
Idk but i read that film studies is an easy subject and tbh I'm interested in such stuff..

Well you could always do biology chemistry and film studies instead? But if you want to do four a levels, you can do but you need to work really hard and make sure you meet the grades
Reply 4
Original post by DSKE
Well you could always do biology chemistry and film studies instead? But if you want to do four a levels, you can do but you need to work really hard and make sure you meet the grades

Oh I can drop maths ?
Oh I can drop maths ?

:yep: But please note that you won’t be able to apply to some colleges at Cambridge because they require maths a level with biology and chemistry but the rest of the med schools don’t require maths a level so you’ll be fine :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by DSKE
:yep: But please note that you won’t be able to apply to some colleges at Cambridge because they require maths a level with biology and chemistry but the rest of the med schools don’t require maths a level so you’ll be fine :biggrin:

Ohhh.. So is it okay taking the 4 subjects now and dropping one of them in year 13 if I was not comfortable with them all ??
Ohhh.. So is it okay taking the 4 subjects now and dropping one of them in year 13 if I was not comfortable with them all ??

You can do that and I did the same myself. In fact, if your college is like mine, they'll spend every opportunity they have to tell you to consider dropping a subject. However I'd suggest you only drop a subject if you yourself are sure that you should stop it and not simply on the advice of others.
Reply 8
Original post by Possibly this
You can do that and I did the same myself. In fact, if your college is like mine, they'll spend every opportunity they have to tell you to consider dropping a subject. However I'd suggest you only drop a subject if you yourself are sure that you should stop it and not simply on the advice of others.

I'll then go with 4 subjects and drop one of them if I wasn't confident.. thank you for helping!
I'll then go with 4 subjects and drop one of them if I wasn't confident.. thank you for helping!

No problem and good luck for next year!

Quick Reply

Latest