The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Official Lancaster University 2021 applicant thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mueez Khan
Ok i still have no idea why my thing switches to anonymous again and again oof, excuse that

Cool, give me a DM if you make Lancaster ur first :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Jonathanツ
Cool, give me a DM if you make Lancaster ur first :smile:

Yea for sure!
Hey everyone, we made a public instagram page for those who are looking to join lancaster this fall. We thought it'd be a good way to get to know one another before we enroll in at university. The username is 'lancasterfreshers2021' xx
Original post by alex4201
Has anyone had offers or anything for computer science?

Hi! Yes I did get an offer to study Computer Science at Lancaster Uni. I study 3 BTECS: IT, Business and H+SC. Got an conditional offer, requirements are that I get DDM. If you’d like to ask anything specific, ask away!
Original post by Manooka
:hello:

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Lancaster University for 2021!

Meet and chat to other people applying here. Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find a big list of all the other applicant threads here >>

Hi! I'm Jess and I'm applying for criminology. Currently studying english lit, psychology and media for my a levels. I'm really excited to go to Lancaster but I'm so scared I won't make friends because I'm not planning to live on campus, really hope I do!
Original post by gembyb
I live around an hour away but I want to live with my boyfriend who's going to a different uni. Lockdown has been really difficult in a long distance relationship as we've not been able to see each other for months, and uni is perfect for us to finally make up for that time! Thank you for all the help, I never realised there was so much dedication to social stuff so that makes me feel a lottt better

Your welcome :smile: Its down to the individual or the group your chatting in if they want to put the effort in too. You will see people come and go all the time, but you will find ones that do stay the course and Im sure come freshers week your new friends wont mind people kipping at theirs on nights out. The more the merrier and you will be able to mix households by then. Then there is the societies as well. Even in lockdown shes part of the astronomy society and gets together online on Thursday nights.

My daughter says theres talks about first years thats going into year 2 having a freshers week before the first years freshers week (maybe even one in june too lol). They kind of dipped out last year as back then it was pubs and clubs in groups of 6 sat at a table. She said it was fun, but would much prefer if it was back to normal. She loves Glow/Dalton Rooms the best and cant wait to get back.

And as you will be there most of the day, there will be breaktimes where you will make friends with the ones doing your course and have coffees and lunch together, so theres plenty of opportunities :smile:
I was stuck between english lit and criminology too, ended up choosing criminology though, english lit in a levels is difficult enough!
Original post by BunBunMillu
Submitted my application for Psychology BSc on 29th Dec, and Lancaster got back to me on 18th Jan with an unconditional offer - which was awesome news to wake up to on my birthday! :h: So for me it took around 3 weeks to hear back from them.

I'm pretty much dead-set on going to Lancaster, but I'm waiting for my last 2 offers to come through before I accept the offer (mostly putting it off out of nerves!).

Congrats! I'm pretty much dead set on Lancaster too, I love the community feel to it and hoping to meet some really nice people there! Plus all of the staff seem so down to earth and supportive which is so important to me. I've applied for criminology!
Original post by gembyb
I was stuck between english lit and criminology too, ended up choosing criminology though, english lit in a levels is difficult enough!

I was stuck between English and psychology in year 12, but my god have I had enough of English lit now.
Original post by YouAreWhatYouIs
I was stuck between English and psychology in year 12, but my god have I had enough of English lit now.

i chose both.. i think you can guess how that’s going for me🥲 yeah, it was the coursework that made me realise i wouldn’t survive uni if i chose it
Original post by gembyb
i chose both.. i think you can guess how that’s going for me🥲 yeah, it was the coursework that made me realise i wouldn’t survive uni if i chose it

I've actually found the coursework to be the easiest part, but I hate most of the texts I'm studying. What texts are you studying?
Currently studying social/political protest texts, Harvest and Handmaids Tale, really loved Harvest which surprised me and I didn’t mind handmaids but Margeret Atwood’s writing style kinda pisses me off lol. Doing Blake poetry as well which is eh. I loved the first year texts a lot more, death of a salesman and king lear, and I LOVED Keats’ poetry, I think I would’ve been a part of the romantics movement if I was born earlier lol
Original post by gembyb
Currently studying social/political protest texts, Harvest and Handmaids Tale, really loved Harvest which surprised me and I didn’t mind handmaids but Margeret Atwood’s writing style kinda pisses me off lol. Doing Blake poetry as well which is eh. I loved the first year texts a lot more, death of a salesman and king lear, and I LOVED Keats’ poetry, I think I would’ve been a part of the romantics movement if I was born earlier lol

I'm currently studying The Great Gatsby (which I liked more than I thought I would) and My boy Jack by David haig, which the less said the better because I hate it. David Haigs dialogue straight up pisses me off. I read othello (one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, not that I'm a fan of many) and birdsong last year. Birdsong had its moments but was at least twice the length it should've been and the characters were dull.
Coursework saved my interest in the subject because I got to write about what I wanted to write about (my two texts were the brothers karamazov by dostoyevsky and no longer human by osamu dazai, but I included other texts too). I'm glad it sounds like you're enjoying it a bit more than I am at least 😅
I'm currently studying The Great Gatsby (which I liked more than I thought I would) and My boy Jack by David haig, which the less said the better because I hate it. David Haigs dialogue straight up pisses me off. I read othello (one of my favourite Shakespeare plays, not that I'm a fan of many) and birdsong last year. Birdsong had its moments but was at least twice the length it should've been and the characters were dull.
Coursework saved my interest in the subject because I got to write about what I wanted to write about (my two texts were the brothers karamazov by dostoyevsky and no longer human by osamu dazai, but I included other texts too). I'm glad it sounds like you're enjoying it a bit more than I am at least 😅

And I’m glad you had more fun with the coursework, ying and yang😂 damn I wish we did the same texts so I actually knew what you were talking about lol. I need to read the great gatsby, my English teacher would murder me if he knew I’ve never read it. I just love poetry really, that’s why I took eng lit, I love the analysis. I obviously like reading but not to bloody analyse, just for fun, and I like crime non fiction which is harder to see in a literature pov
Never read the great gatsby but saw the movie with leonardo de caprio lol. If it’s anything like that he never seemed to be happy no matter how much he had. He put on a persona like he was living his best life when he wasn’t.
Original post by gembyb
And I’m glad you had more fun with the coursework, ying and yang😂 damn I wish we did the same texts so I actually knew what you were talking about lol. I need to read the great gatsby, my English teacher would murder me if he knew I’ve never read it. I just love poetry really, that’s why I took eng lit, I love the analysis. I obviously like reading but not to bloody analyse, just for fun, and I like crime non fiction which is harder to see in a literature pov

If you're interested in crime fiction, I've just read a book called journey under the midnight sun by Keigo Higashino. Highly recommended it.
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Never read the great gatsby but saw the movie with leonardo de caprio lol. If it’s anything like that he never seemed to be happy no matter how much he had. He put on a persona like he was living his best life when he wasn’t.

The film's fine but it wasn't a great adaptation of the book. Prime meme material though so not all bad 😅
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂

If it’s got leonardo decaprio in it? Watching it ASAP. That sounds interesting tbh. Also unrelated but I swear I see you everywhere on TSR:biggrin:
If you're interested in crime fiction, I've just read a book called journey under the midnight sun by Keigo Higashino. Highly recommended it.

Thank you! I’ll look it up :smile:
Original post by gembyb
If it’s got leonardo decaprio in it? Watching it ASAP. That sounds interesting tbh. Also unrelated but I swear I see you everywhere on TSR:biggrin:

lol. Im generally on here, Oxford parents association, TSR old age home thread lol. Then ive got the 2 blogs on Lancaster (one daughters journey ie : open days moving in etc/ other more informational about the city and campus)
Ill message on any bits and bobs, like York, Oxford, Leicester and Leeds uni as ive been to those. Hopefully by the Autumn the open days will be back to normal and be visiting other places with the youngest this time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending