The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Academic Integrity breach

Hi,
I’m really concerned as I have received feedback on my recent assignment saying I’m under investigation for academic breach.

This is the first time it has happened and I’m really anxious.
I’m unaware for what I am under investigation for as of yet.
Does anyone know if it common for unis to go straight to the penalty of. termination of studies?
I’m terrified I’m going to get kicked out!
If a member of staff suspects that a student may have sought to gain an unfair advantage [in their academic work] in some way, the matter should be investigated thoroughly and be brought to the attention of the Chair of the Module Assessment Board, who decides whether to put the allegation formally. If the allegation is put, the student is interviewed and a judgement reached about whether academic integrity has been breached.

The University resolves breaches of academic integrity through the application of a standard penalty or by convening a meeting of the University Academic Integrity Review Panel to hear the case in more detail.

There is a tariff of penalties that may be imposed when breaches of academic integrity are proven. The nature of the offence, whether the student has previously engaged with the academic integrity course and if any other offences have been proven are taken into consideration when deciding the severity of the penalty.

There is quite a detailed explanation of what it could be and who you can contact at the Uni of Chester
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
Also there are three really useful links at the bottom of this URL https://www1.chester.ac.uk/academic-quality-and-standards/student-affairs/academic-integrity which answer you questions perfectly. It shows a list of what could have happened, the procedure to take while also stating that this is stressful times for you and that they will ensure Roles, Rights and Responsibilities
4.1. The University accepts that when a student is accused of submitting work that
breaches the Academic Integrity Policy, they might find the process stressful. The
University undertakes to minimise any distress caused to the student by:
4.1.1. Dealing with the matter as quickly as possible, whilst ensuring that this
procedure is followed correctly;
4.1.2. At every stage, giving clear information about the procedure and the role that
the student is expected to take;
4.1.3. Recognising that breaches of academic integrity relate to pieces of
assessment and are not judgements about the character of the individual
student involved; and
4.1.4. Arriving at an outcome that is just, proportionate and, where appropriate, take into account the circumstances of the individual student
Reply 3
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have read all documents about academic integrity, I have tried to see where I have gone wrong in my piece of work, however I cant see where I have gone wrong.
Obviously I have to be patient and wait for the allegation terms to be emailed, however I’m extremely anxious and terrified about being expelled? I haven’t intentionally done anything, but I know that it doesn’t matter of the intention. I was just wondering if it is common for expulsions or does the uni work with students?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply.
I have read all documents about academic integrity, I have tried to see where I have gone wrong in my piece of work, however I cant see where I have gone wrong.
Obviously I have to be patient and wait for the allegation terms to be emailed, however I’m extremely anxious and terrified about being expelled? I haven’t intentionally done anything, but I know that it doesn’t matter of the intention. I was just wondering if it is common for expulsions or does the uni work with students?

By the sounds of it I'm pretty sure the uni works alongside the student, however it does show a chart where they assess the level of severity so I think it could depend on what has happened. It could be a mistake or it could be that you have shared your work with someone and they have borrowed a lot of your techniques. I very much doubt it would be immediate expulsion however I only you know how bad what you did was and if you honestly can't think of anything that would cause this then I wouldn't panic too much. I would contact the school ASAP and see where the process is at and their reasoning behind it, preferably an email so there is evidence of a paper trial showing your attempts to contact the school should anything happen.
Reply 5
Hi,
I can’t think of what I have done, maybe my references are wrong, however, I went through my first year with the same style?
Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I can’t think of what I have done, maybe my references are wrong, however, I went through my first year with the same style?
Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated!

Yep no problem I would highly recommend any attempts to contact tutors or professors are done with proof so if anything is to happen then you are able to trace and show your concerns and active contacting. I'm sure you'll be fine, don't stress too much!
Reply 7
Original post by lawundergraduate
Yep no problem I would highly recommend any attempts to contact tutors or professors are done with proof so if anything is to happen then you are able to trace and show your concerns and active contacting. I'm sure you'll be fine, don't stress too much!

Yes, I have contacted my module tutor, student union and the academic team via email for advice and clarification but obviously it’s a process and not been able to reveal much. But I will keep chasing up!
Can you let me know the outcome of your meeting and what they asked as I am going through the same thing.
Original post by Tammy2020
Can you let me know the outcome of your meeting and what they asked as I am going through the same thing.

This is nine-months old now, made under anonymous. It's unlikely the OP will return to answer your question, so please start a new thread if you want to continue this topic.
Can you let me know the outcome of your meeting and what they asked as I am going through the same thing.I am so anxious I’m going to get kicked out. I have a meeting next week and can’t get any help from student support or my tutor prior to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending