The Student Room Group

Students to wear masks for 6 hours a day in schools

What do you think? Do you agree with this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its gonna be difficult but its for our safety i guess :/
Reply 2
If it keeps us safe, then I’m all for it. It’s got to be known, though, that’s a lot of people will struggle to keep it on for that long. There needs to be opportunities to remove it temporarily, to give them a breather maybe in areas that aren’t so crowded.
thats ridiculous lol how are we going to talk directly to the teacher lol or even speak to other people in your class lol???
I think it’s fine since you won’t be moving around a lot, also for my district they split the school days in half so it’s easier. Instead if 6 hours it’s 3 (:
Original post by dazzymc

Im sure if a surgeon can manage so can kids in school.
Reply 6
Original post by dazzymc

Sounds reasonable to me. The vast majority of workers wear them all day at the moment. It might be annoying and uncomfortable, but I think it's worth it.
Reply 7
Its a bit of cloth, you can breathe just fine in it. I dont see the huge deal.
I was kind of annoyed that masks weren't mandatory in schools from the start - I know this might come as a controversial opinion.

Teens and adults are totally capable of wearing a mask. For that matter, I believe children above 5-6 should be encouraged to wear one (perhaps not at school or the whole day, but for some periods of time like if they're at the supermarket). I don't know why the age requirement to wear one is 11 - they're young adults, not babies or toddlers who may not be able to communicate their lacking ability to breathe.

People that have worked throughout the pandemic have had to wear masks all day and sometimes all night too. Uni students have to wear masks. Volunteers wear masks etc. I just think it's a very small sacrifice and one we all have to make :redface: .

I know it's uncomfortable, I know it feels wrong, but if we're ever going to escape this vicious circle, we all have to do our bit. :yep:
I have asthma and I've been wearing them the whole time I've been back until this latest lockdown.

Sure it might be slightly uncomfortable, but you get used to it and it will only help to protect people. (Unless you of course can't wear one for legitimate medical reasons)
Original post by mnot
Im sure if a surgeon can manage so can kids in school.

Also circus clowns.
I work for longer than that with a facecovering, i dont see how its much harder for a teenager :dontknow:
I can see the argument for very young children but aside from that unfortunately you have to lump it
Cases rose when schools went back, if the rest of the population has to continue in lockdown to facilitate a return of schools then i think its the least young people can do to be honest.
Reply 12
Well technically teachers should be giving us breaks if we have a double lesson for example we ware allowed to go out have a 5 minute break for us to get some fresh air
In my school before lockdown it was only mandatory to wear the mask in the hallways/corridors and in assembly other than that like in class and canteens and playgrounds it was optional and most people didn’t wear it.
Original post by ILikeAthletics
I find it hard to breathe in masks (maybe bc I have asthma but idk), to the point where if I laugh in a mask I can't breathe at all, which was terrifying when that happened, particularly as I couldn't take the mask off)

You’re exempt from wearing a mask if it causes you major distress and you have asthma so
I think it's the right decision, but I do feel for people who struggle with wearing them - I have sensory issues and can't focus on anything besides the mask when I'm wearing it, which is fine as I'm a volunteer tutor so I'm not actually having to concentrate and learn new things, but I imagine it would be awful as a student.
If their teachers can manage to wear a mask all day, starting before the students and staying later, while also being responsible for making sure all their students keep their masks on, on top of the usual trials and tribulations of managing a classroom, I'm sure the students can adapt...

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kiraaaaaxo
thats ridiculous lol how are we going to talk directly to the teacher lol or even speak to other people in your class lol???

Same way as health workers manage to do it for 12+ hours a day
Original post by kiraaaaaxo

Wearing a mask doesn’t stop you from talking.
Reply 19
But masks won’t be made for you not to breathe right. So if nurses, doctors and other people can wear it for more than 3 hours I’m sure other people can too. And if you have asthma in some shops it’s required for you to wear a face shield

Quick Reply

Latest