The Student Room Group

lmao

kk
(edited 3 years ago)
Healthy is whatever you’re happy with.

But if you’re only trying to lose weight, you just need to be in a calorie deficit - burn off more calories than you consume.
(edited 3 years ago)
If they're a trained dietitian then my first instinct would be to say that the advice of people on this forum isn't necessarily much help to you. Generally someone coming on here saying they want to start a very low cal diet would be met with loads of replies saying 'BAD IDEA' but there are circumstances where low cal diets are used (generally after a proper medical examination and dietitian approved though).

This is my personal opinion so don't take this as medical advice but why exactly have they put you on such an extreme diet, if you don't mind me asking? Have you had problems losing weight or have some other medical reason (I have seen low cal diets used to treat type 2 diabetes)? And how long have you been on it? Otherwise I would wonder why you're eating so few calories. I inputted your example menu into MFP and the numbers aren't exact without know the exact quantity of each food you're eating but it came to roughly 800 calories a day and was very very low in carbs and fibre which generally isn't that healthy (again, there are times when this may not be the case). Most people could lose weight eating around 1500 cals and exercising so purely based on the information you've given us, it does seem extreme.

Did your GP recommend this dietitian? If you're doubting whether the diet you're on is healthy then you could always ask for a second opinon. The other thing to consider is how are you going to manage coming off this diet? Obviously that is something you'd work with your dietitian towards when the time comes but staying on low cal diets isn't sustainable.
Reply 3
kk
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Joe Frazier
Healthy is whatever you’re happy with.

But if you’re only trying to lose weight, you just need to be in a calorie deficit - burn off more calories than you consume.

That’s not what healthy means. I’m sure we are all happy with a chocolate cake but can’t have it cause it’s bad
Reply 5
Original post by iskcnkshf
No there was no recommendation. This dietician is getting kind of well-known due to word-of-mouth and people seeing results from friends.

Also, he has many weekly diet plans that are used for everyone, depending on results and how he wants our macros to be that week with similar calories each time. That is to say, no, there's no specific reason for me being put into such a low calorie diet, it's his method for everyone and that's the only type of diets really offered in my area. I've put myself on this diet because i have thyroid issues and t1d so reaching a healthier BMI will likely improve my levels for both. I've been on the diet for less than three months and alongside some light cardio, I've lost 7kg. Alongside personal changes I've made before I went on this diet, that's around 12kg lost since last year. He didn't actually question me or do a thorough medical examinations, it was just stepping into the scale, getting all my measurements like BFP and visceral fat, giving me the plan he decided on and the first meeting was done in 5 minutes maximum.

That's why I question how healthy this diet really is since it's not specific to each individual although I've heard that the weekly plans may be specific to a range of BMIs/BFPs although I believe everyone uses the same set. However, I am desperate to get results to help my health holistically and I've seen that happen safely here since I haven't lost more than 1.5kg in a week and usually lose around 0.5 to 1 in a week. Not to mention he is a dietician in a well-known professional hospital. But I question the credibility again because my body has clearly gotten weaker, I don't really have much energy and my vision often gets blotchy.

Might be worth asking your diabetes nurse about a dietician referral as it sounds like your body isn't tolerating this diet all that well. Are you on medication for your thyroid? I assume it's hypothyroidism?
Reply 6
kk
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Yes, I'm on medication for hypothyroidism and none of the symptoms have actually gotten better despite my levels being normal.

Might be worth speaking to your GP, other things can cause the same symptoms as hypothyroidism. As I said, speak to your diabetes nurse/whoever monitors you in that sense, see if they have a dietician you can work with.
Reply 8
No there was no recommendation. This dietician is getting kind of well-known due to word-of-mouth and people seeing results from friends.

Also, he has many weekly diet plans that are used for everyone, depending on results and how he wants our macros to be that week with similar calories each time. That is to say, no, there's no specific reason for me being put into such a low calorie diet, it's his method for everyone and that's the only type of diets really offered in my area. I've put myself on this diet because i have thyroid issues and t1d so reaching a healthier BMI will likely improve my levels for both. I've been on the diet for less than three months and alongside some light cardio, I've lost 7kg. Alongside personal changes I've made before I went on this diet, that's around 12kg lost since last year. He didn't actually question me or do a thorough medical examinations, it was just stepping into the scale, getting all my measurements like BFP and visceral fat, giving me the plan he decided on and the first meeting was done in 5 minutes maximum.

That's why I question how healthy this diet really is since it's not specific to each individual although I've heard that the weekly plans may be specific to a range of BMIs/BFPs although I believe everyone uses the same set. However, I am desperate to get results to help my health holistically and I've seen that happen safely here since I haven't lost more than 1.5kg in a week and usually lose around 0.5 to 1 in a week. Not to mention he is a dietician in a well-known professional hospital. But I question the credibility again because my body has clearly gotten weaker, I don't really have much energy and my vision often gets blotchy.

How do you know he actually works in a hospital; have you just been told this? Have you checked their qualifications?

"Only those registered with the statutory regulator, the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) can use the title of Dietitian/Registered Dietitian (RD).

Minimum requirement is a BSc Hons in Dietetics, or a related science degree with a postgraduate diploma or higher degree in Dietetics." You can check if they are registered here:

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/

Of course you will see weight loss if you are eating so little in a day, but it doesn't look like a healthy, balanced diet; what's with the cucumber obsession? To not do a medical history with you sounds very dodgy. I recommend you get help from your GP as they are known to be a medical professional!

If you've not gone through a gp then I'd suggest doing that. Weight loss in theory is incredibly simple- use more calories than you consume so anyone giving you a low calorie meal plan can make you lose weight regardless of their qualifications. If he's giving everyone the same plan then it doesn't sound like he's taking into account your personal requirements and to not do a medical examination is weird imo (especially if they work in a hospital?!).

You're right when you say your weight loss is at a steady rate, but personally I don't think his recommendations are great. It's all very well you seeing the weight loss results but if you're weak, don't have much energy and your vision is getting blotchy it sounds like you're not meeting your body's nutritional requirements (and it sounds like you already know this based off what you've written!)
What are your specific concerns about it being unhealthy? Just eating very little is not necessarily unhealthy in itself.

If you've got T1DM I'm sure you're keeping a close eye on your sugars during this period.
Original post by Moonlight rain
That’s not what healthy means. I’m sure we are all happy with a chocolate cake but can’t have it cause it’s bad

I don’t literally mean that it is healthy to be obese. I mean that feeling happy in your body is key for being psychologically healthy, i.e. it’s not healthy to be preoccupied with other people’s thoughts about your body.

Quick Reply

Latest