The Student Room Group

My Academic Ghost Train (warning: mentions of *CHEMISTRY*)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarshineDiamond
Thank you:puppyeyes:

Glad I was of some help. I am very proud of myself haha
Right so, tonight is another late one because I have been having a chat with my mother and she is telling me "all the screen time is making you go mental". NO! "You are making me go mental constantly telling me that my screens are going to get mental!"
Is it only me or does anybody else really need a holiday from their extremely over exaggerating parents.
I will just hop on a plane to Taiwan and meet you there :wink:... if I could travel.
Tonight along with a friend of the adult variety have been mulling over the complexities of the male puberty sorcery. Like how instantaneous you grow facial hair.
You see them one day at school and are hanging out until you go home. Then you return the next day, they have a moustache and then they have the audacity to say, "do you like my moustache, I have been growing it for months".
EHEM NO YOU HAVE NOT. THAT WAS NOT THERE YESTERDAY
I think all of the iced coffee is going to my brain... I need help :laugh:
Catch you on the flip side (:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Maisielytical
Right so, tonight is another late one because I have been having a chat with my mother and she is telling me "all the screen time is making you go mental". NO! "You are making me go mental constantly telling me that my screens are going to get mental!"
Is it only me or does anybody else really need a holiday from their extremely over exaggerating parents.
I will just hop on a plane to Taiwan and meet you there :wink:... if I could travel.
Tonight along with a friend of the adult variety have been mulling over the complexities of the male puberty sorcery. Like how instantaneous you grow facial hair.
You see them one day at school and are hanging out until you go home. Then you return the next day, they have a moustache and then they have the audacity to say, "do you like my moustache, I have been growing it for months".
EHEM NO YOU HAVE NOT. THAT WAS NOT THERE YESTERDAY
I think all of the iced coffee is going to my brain... I need help :laugh:
Catch you on the flip side (:

eh same, my parents can be quite strict but most of the time I know it's done out of love. Also idk much about male puberty except that girls start maturing earlier but it's probably because of all that testosterone.
eh same, my parents can be quite strict but most of the time I know it's done out of love. Also idk much about male puberty except that girls start maturing earlier but it's probably because of all that testosterone.

See. This is why we have biologists. So we don't have to understand it haha
See. This is why we have biologists. So we don't have to understand it haha

frr :iiam: The only thing I envy is their growth spurts.. I wanna be taller mann. I'm 163 cm but idk what that is in inches but I think that's about average height. I've been the same height for a while now :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
I just searched it and I'm about 5"4
Good evening everyone!
First day in a week of school and I am already mentally drained. Anyone ever study A level Chem 'Alcohols'? Yeh . . .
YES, I know that I keep changing the name in my blog but since when does anything stay the same in life.
Tonight, idk, I just feel like I have been so productive. I had two pints of iced coffee at lunch so I feel like maybe what I am feeling is the last after effects of the large dose of caffeine I ingested.
TIP OF THE DAY KIDS: Don't drink two pints of iced coffee in a day, never mind in the space of 40 minutes like I did then feel really sick afterwards because of the crazy amount of caffeine you have ingested in such a small space of time and a brain freeze from all the "iced" part.
LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!
Tonight, I had a meeting with (I don't know whether any of you are aspiring medics, dentists or vets. I am of the third :smile:) the Virtual Vet Society with Medic Mentor which is an organisation which has been set up for helping the three categories above get through your application into these courses. They are so helpful and I have been working with them since October 2020 when I first found out about them and have pretty much signed up to absolutely everything! Even the really really expensive summer school (80% of students who go get at least 1 offer for a vet, dentistry or medical school. The other 20% is usually only because they don't achieve the grades) using the money that I have been saving up for years for a car when I passed my driving test so I guess I will be taking public transport for a long time after this summer lol.
There are weekly meetings on a Tuesday with the VMS (Virtual Medical Society) on zoom where we start the meetings all together in one call, usually talking about something that very much applies to all careers and then we split off into different calls within our chosen categories of medic, dentist and vet to do more specific work such as the book club that happens every other Tuesday or talks with students who have already made it into university to give us a chance to find out more about the application process and what it is like when and if we actually get in.
I am presenting at one of these talks next week so we were having a practice tonight and it made me realise how the leaders of the VMS (the committee) as the same age as us! So I have decided to apply for a place on the next committee to be chosen in May 2021. How exciting!
If you guys would like to know anything further about Medic Mentor, I will post the link here: https://medicmentor.co.uk/82512/
The first port of call if you want to go into Veterinary, Medicine or Dentistry is to always go to the Get Into ...whatever you want to go into... Conference first and it only costs £50 which is amazing for what you actually experience on the day. I found it absolutely incredible with guest interviews from famous people in your career path (at mine one of the guests was Julian Norton from 'The Yorkshire Vet'). But if you sign up to the VMS first, I am fairly sure there is a free code there for one of the conferences if you don't want to pay as the VMS is free. I will also be presenting at the 'Get Into Veterinary Conference' in April so if you are an aspiring vet or you know one, tell them and they will get to see my lovely face presenting haha.
Sorry for the long post but yeh, this is just something that I feel quite strongly about so go take a look if it applies to you!
I really need a better hobby :s-smilie:
I guess if you have any questions, then let me know I guess because at this point, I seem to be pretty knowledgeable :laugh:
Really though, I need some friends :colonhash:
frr :iiam: The only thing I envy is their growth spurts.. I wanna be taller mann. I'm 163 cm but idk what that is in inches but I think that's about average height. I've been the same height for a while now :frown:

OMG same. I feel like I haven't grown since year 7...
I used to be tall!
Original post by starshinediamond
i just searched it and i'm about 5"4

lmao. Same!
Good evening everyone!
First day in a week of school and I am already mentally drained. Anyone ever study A level Chem 'Alcohols'? Yeh . . .
YES, I know that I keep changing the name in my blog but since when does anything stay the same in life.
Tonight, idk, I just feel like I have been so productive. I had two pints of iced coffee at lunch so I feel like maybe what I am feeling is the last after effects of the large dose of caffeine I ingested.
TIP OF THE DAY KIDS: Don't drink two pints of iced coffee in a day, never mind in the space of 40 minutes like I did then feel really sick afterwards because of the crazy amount of caffeine you have ingested in such a small space of time and a brain freeze from all the "iced" part.
LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!
Tonight, I had a meeting with (I don't know whether any of you are aspiring medics, dentists or vets. I am of the third :smile:) the Virtual Vet Society with Medic Mentor which is an organisation which has been set up for helping the three categories above get through your application into these courses. They are so helpful and I have been working with them since October 2020 when I first found out about them and have pretty much signed up to absolutely everything! Even the really really expensive summer school (80% of students who go get at least 1 offer for a vet, dentistry or medical school. The other 20% is usually only because they don't achieve the grades) using the money that I have been saving up for years for a car when I passed my driving test so I guess I will be taking public transport for a long time after this summer lol.
There are weekly meetings on a Tuesday with the VMS (Virtual Medical Society) on zoom where we start the meetings all together in one call, usually talking about something that very much applies to all careers and then we split off into different calls within our chosen categories of medic, dentist and vet to do more specific work such as the book club that happens every other Tuesday or talks with students who have already made it into university to give us a chance to find out more about the application process and what it is like when and if we actually get in.
I am presenting at one of these talks next week so we were having a practice tonight and it made me realise how the leaders of the VMS (the committee) as the same age as us! So I have decided to apply for a place on the next committee to be chosen in May 2021. How exciting!
If you guys would like to know anything further about Medic Mentor, I will post the link here: https://medicmentor.co.uk/82512/
The first port of call if you want to go into Veterinary, Medicine or Dentistry is to always go to the Get Into ...whatever you want to go into... Conference first and it only costs £50 which is amazing for what you actually experience on the day. I found it absolutely incredible with guest interviews from famous people in your career path (at mine one of the guests was Julian Norton from 'The Yorkshire Vet'). But if you sign up to the VMS first, I am fairly sure there is a free code there for one of the conferences if you don't want to pay as the VMS is free. I will also be presenting at the 'Get Into Veterinary Conference' in April so if you are an aspiring vet or you know one, tell them and they will get to see my lovely face presenting haha.
Sorry for the long post but yeh, this is just something that I feel quite strongly about so go take a look if it applies to you!
I really need a better hobby :s-smilie:
I guess if you have any questions, then let me know I guess because at this point, I seem to be pretty knowledgeable :laugh:
Really though, I need some friends :colonhash:

I like the new name - giving me the horror vibes that school is. I'm not really a coffee person, more of a hot chocolate person. I think the only time I've had coffee and really liked it was when it was this caramel coffee that my mum bought; the rest are either just plain disgusting or bland. Apart from that, I would say iced tea is better :biggrin:. Personally, I don't see myself in the medical field because I'm a coward and can't even handle seeing large amounts of blood but I'm interested in either psychology or engineering. The VMS people sound very useful though, I'll pass it on to anyone I know that might be interested.
OMG same. I feel like I haven't grown since year 7...
I used to be tall!

I haven't grown since year 6 :cry: and I used to be one of the tallest in my class as well. Hopefully there's still time for us to gain a few more inches :bawling:
I haven't grown since year 6 :cry: and I used to be one of the tallest in my class as well. Hopefully there's still time for us to gain a few more inches :bawling:

Maybe for you. I am doomed
I have reached the point of no return...
Maybe for you. I am doomed
I have reached the point of no return...

awww, don't give up yet. I wonder if stretching your legs everyday would work :creep:
awww, don't give up yet. I wonder if stretching your legs everyday would work :creep:

yeh... not sure bones wrk like that :laugh:
yeh... not sure bones wrk like that :laugh:

damn, I always thought when your muscles stretch you get taller but now that I think of it, your bones are the ones that need to extend... whoops
damn, I always thought when your muscles stretch you get taller but now that I think of it, your bones are the ones that need to extend... whoops

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Sorry for the late post... again.
I really need t get into the habit of posting this earlier cause I be none of you are gonna want to hear from me after 9. Way too late for that haha.
Well, what did I do today.
This morning I had a massive headache so I took some paracetamol with some tea and toast for breakfast. Yes, that's right, I actually ATE this morning.
I had chem and then slept for an hour and 20 mins. Then I had 20 mins of psych and I slept again for another half an hour. Living the life! I a really gonna miss this when I go back to school. Although tbf, there is nothing from stopping me from sleeping on the sofas in the common room during my frees. I then had lunch and my mum made a whole veggie full english but at this point, I was feeling really sick on top of a pounding headache so I just ate the toast and the tomatoes.
I then had bio and finished for the day, can you guess what I did next???
I did chem hw (I bet you thought I was going to say I went to sleep)
I had my usual bio lecture from 5-6, and then had a shower.
Heres the exciting part, after dinner which I literally only ate a wrap with chicken and cheese, I had my presentation with the VMS!
It was on AMR in the veterinary practice and focused on antibiotics in livestock production. Oh what fun.
My this point, I felt so nauseated after the meeting that I went in my room and did the worst thing possible, stared at a screen to draw on my iPad. Aren't I a smarty pants.
Now here I am writing my post with my glasses on my face staring at another screen. I am just way too smart lol
Did anything good happen today? Ha, I wish
Now I think I am going to spend the next hour with my head in a toilet (literally, not metaphorically)
Wish me luck!
i'm extremely invested in this thread now, drop your best iced coffee recipe!!
Original post by Zainab1734
i'm extremely invested in this thread now, drop your best iced coffee recipe!!

I mean, I enjoy writing these but I didn't't think anyone was actually interested in my thread beyond the first post haha except @StarshineDiamond who I can see is really trying. I appreciate it buddy :hello:. But wow. Thank you!
If you are sure you are REALLY ready for this:

Spoiler

Sorry for the late post... again.
I really need t get into the habit of posting this earlier cause I be none of you are gonna want to hear from me after 9. Way too late for that haha.
Well, what did I do today.
This morning I had a massive headache so I took some paracetamol with some tea and toast for breakfast. Yes, that's right, I actually ATE this morning.
I had chem and then slept for an hour and 20 mins. Then I had 20 mins of psych and I slept again for another half an hour. Living the life! I a really gonna miss this when I go back to school. Although tbf, there is nothing from stopping me from sleeping on the sofas in the common room during my frees. I then had lunch and my mum made a whole veggie full english but at this point, I was feeling really sick on top of a pounding headache so I just ate the toast and the tomatoes.
I then had bio and finished for the day, can you guess what I did next???
I did chem hw (I bet you thought I was going to say I went to sleep)
I had my usual bio lecture from 5-6, and then had a shower.
Heres the exciting part, after dinner which I literally only ate a wrap with chicken and cheese, I had my presentation with the VMS!
It was on AMR in the veterinary practice and focused on antibiotics in livestock production. Oh what fun.
My this point, I felt so nauseated after the meeting that I went in my room and did the worst thing possible, stared at a screen to draw on my iPad. Aren't I a smarty pants.
Now here I am writing my post with my glasses on my face staring at another screen. I am just way too smart lol
Did anything good happen today? Ha, I wish
Now I think I am going to spend the next hour with my head in a toilet (literally, not metaphorically)
Wish me luck!

I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not :awesome: Is your head going to be in the toilet because you feel nauseous? If so, make sure to drink lots of water and try to avoid strong-smelling foods. If you can, don't lie down and wear loose clothes. Also, avoid hot, fried or greasy foods. I don't mind when you post btw - my sleeping schedule is messed up anyways so I can be up later than 9 most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending