The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The main topics (AQA) are online but they are what you would expect: inflation, economic growth, unemployment, globalisation, financial markets and then micro stuff including business economics and behavioural economics.

I do bio, chem and econ and am going on to do a B&M degree so it is definitely good for that. Econ is a pretty well respected A level and it's not too hard, which is nice. I would probably say psychology might be viewed as a bit of a soft subject in comparison and would be useful in many careers, relative to the nicheness of psych.

Hope this helps, lmk if you have any more questions
Reply 2
Original post by JMo03
The main topics (AQA) are online but they are what you would expect: inflation, economic growth, unemployment, globalisation, financial markets and then micro stuff including business economics and behavioural economics.

I do bio, chem and econ and am going on to do a B&M degree so it is definitely good for that. Econ is a pretty well respected A level and it's not too hard, which is nice. I would probably say psychology might be viewed as a bit of a soft subject in comparison and would be useful in many careers, relative to the nicheness of psych.

Hope this helps, lmk if you have any more questions

yeah i had a brief look at the aqa specification earlier. how to you find the workload- especially in comparison to bio and chem?
Reply 3
Original post by annamrsn
yeah i had a brief look at the aqa specification earlier. how to you find the workload- especially in comparison to bio and chem?

Workload was waaaayyy lower for me. An essay like once a half term at most and the content was much easier IMO. Doing my mocks in two weeks and today has been my first bit of econ revision and I'm doing well in the subject.

Bio and chem are revision heavy. Especially chem. If you don't want to do something that requires chem, I would reconsider, It's a lot of commitment.
one of the easier a levels (compared to sciences etc.) but a lot of the topics are quite boring and drag a bit!
Reply 5
Original post by JMo03
Workload was waaaayyy lower for me. An essay like once a half term at most and the content was much easier IMO. Doing my mocks in two weeks and today has been my first bit of econ revision and I'm doing well in the subject.

Bio and chem are revision heavy. Especially chem. If you don't want to do something that requires chem, I would reconsider, It's a lot of commitment.

hmmm okay that helps a lot! the main reason i'm taking chem is to potentially go into medicine so i need it to keep my options open- my predicted grade for it at gcse is a 7 so i don't think it should be too bad for me?
Reply 6
hmmm okay that helps a lot! the main reason i'm taking chem is to potentially go into medicine so i need it to keep my options open- my predicted grade for it at gcse is a 7 so i don't think it should be too bad for me?

I mean I got a 9 and struggled but it was probably more down to lack of effort at the beginning
Reply 7
Original post by JMo03
I mean I got a 9 and struggled but it was probably more down to lack of effort at the beginning

haha then i'll keep that in mind then to start working hard from the start : )
hiya, i'm deciding on my a level options in the next few days and am conflicted as to what to take for my 4th choice (to drop after year 12). i wanted to know what economics is about/what kinds of things it covers and is useful for? (for reference my other a levels are going to be maths, bio and chem but i can't decide between economics or psychology)

hi, how are you finding your alevels?
I want to do the same combo as you except take economics to A2 :smile:

Latest