The Student Room Group

Music a 'soft' subject for top universities

Every time I search up "music technology a level" on the internet I keep coming across this site were it says that it is a subject the is considered a 'soft' subject in the eyes of top universities. Is this the same case for music a levels?

I would like to do some sort of a level for music, and the music technology a levels sounds more interesting. However, if music technology is in fact considered a 'soft' subject, I will look to choose music a level instead if it is more more commonly accepted by top universities.
Original post by TFYB04
Every time I search up "music technology a level" on the internet I keep coming across this site were it says that it is a subject the is considered a 'soft' subject in the eyes of top universities. Is this the same case for music a levels?

I would like to do some sort of a level for music, and the music technology a levels sounds more interesting. However, if music technology is in fact considered a 'soft' subject, I will look to choose music a level instead if it is more more commonly accepted by top universities.

Ask the universities you are interested in directly if they have any concerns about applicants studying music or music technology at A level.
In general there are facilitating subjects: Maths, Further Maths, the Sciences, Languages, English Literature, History, Geography, etc., which are generally preferred by top universities - some of which actually publish the list of the ones they consider as such. Their general advice is to have at least two facilitating subjects. If you think you will prefer Music Technology over Music then take that, it's not about having all facilitating subjects, but at least two generally makes a strong application for top universities*. For many, perhaps even the majority of universities, your application will be fine as long as you meet the entry requirements, and the subject is usually not important**.

*There are some exceptions to this, particularly Science courses, where having three or four STEM subjects is generally considered standard for a competitive application at top universities; as well as for Oxbridge, for which most applicants will have mostly facilitating subjects.

**Any subjects that are required for your course will obviously have to be taken, and even if there are no specific requirements, it would be beneficial to have a subject that generally links with the subject area of the degree, for example an Arts subject for an Arts course. Also General Studies is usually not accepted, though this is no longer offered.
Original post by melancollege
In general there are facilitating subjects: Maths, Further Maths, the Sciences, Languages, English Literature, History, Geography, etc., which are generally preferred by top universities - some of which actually publish the list of the ones they consider as such. Their general advice is to have at least two facilitating subjects. If you think you will prefer Music Technology over Music then take that, it's not about having all facilitating subjects, but at least two generally makes a strong application for top universities*. For many, perhaps even the majority of universities, your application will be fine as long as you meet the entry requirements, and the subject is usually not important**.

*There are some exceptions to this, particularly Science courses, where having three or four STEM subjects is generally considered standard for a competitive application at top universities; as well as for Oxbridge, for which most applicants will have mostly facilitating subjects.

**Any subjects that are required for your course will obviously have to be taken, and even if there are no specific requirements, it would be beneficial to have a subject that generally links with the subject area of the degree, for example an Arts subject for an Arts course. Also General Studies is usually not accepted, though this is no longer offered.

The Russell group scrapped and disowned the concept of facilitating subjects years ago because people were misinterpreting advice to give undecided students more options (facilitating meant FLEXIBLE) with the idea that these subjects were desirable to RG universities (which is false).

Where universities have preferred subjects they’re published on their websites (like LSE for example) and they’re much broader than the facilitating subjects that were listed (and now disowned) by the RG.
Original post by melancollege
In general there are facilitating subjects: Maths, Further Maths, the Sciences, Languages, English Literature, History, Geography, etc., which are generally preferred by top universities.

Please see : https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

@TFYB04 : As a result of marketing legislation now being applied to Universities, all UK Universities have to be entirely up-front about which subjects are 'essential' or 'preferred' - there can be no 'secrets'. So if an entry states 'ABB including Biology at A' then the other two subjects can literally be any A level subject. If it states 'ABB including Biology at A, and at least one other subject from the following list....' then the 3rd A level can be any subject. If it states 'Maths or Physics preferred' it means exactly that - you have less chance of an offer without one of those subjects. Etc, etc. LSE appears to be the only University that has a generic list of 'preferred subjects' for all its UG courses.

If you are still concerned that Music Tech will not be welcomed by the Uni you are applying to - email them and ask.
Sheffield has a list of acceptable and accepted in combination A level subjects too https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/levels
Original post by PQ
Sheffield has a list of acceptable and accepted in combination A level subjects too https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/levels

Indeed - but they also state that 'The table below lists A Level subjects which develop the knowledge-based, theoretical and conceptual learning most relevant to courses at Sheffield. Some of our courses will require A Level students to present one or two A levels from this list. In these cases the requirement will be included in the relevant online prospectus entry.' So, no secret 'only we know' info - and no blanket ban on any unusual A level subjects - just 'read the entry requirements for each course carefully'.
Original post by McGinger
Indeed - but they also state that 'The table below lists A Level subjects which develop the knowledge-based, theoretical and conceptual learning most relevant to courses at Sheffield. Some of our courses will require A Level students to present one or two A levels from this list. In these cases the requirement will be included in the relevant online prospectus entry.' So, no secret 'only we know' info - and no blanket ban on any unusual A level subjects - just 'read the entry requirements for each course carefully'.

Yes. The UCL list is pretty funny. It’s pretty much just a list of everything except general studies and critical thinking
I often see that doing a language you are fluent/native in is discouraged too.
Reply 10
Thank you for all the responses. I will probably end up taking music a level because I still believe that universities might look down upon music technology

Quick Reply

Latest