The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford DPIR Graduate Applicants 2021

Thought it would be good for us to connect! Waiting to hear back is so frustrating!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!

Thanks for creating this thread. So, anyone applied for the MPhil in Politics (Political Theory) or MPhil in Politics (Comparative Government) ? Anyone heard back from the DPIR department?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Thanks for making this thread! I’ve applied to MPhil Politics (Political Theory) and am anxiously awaiting a response. How is everybody feeling? It sounds as if it’s more competitive than in previous years...
Reply 3
Thanks for starting this thread! I am waiting for MPhil Political theory :smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by josephdroberts98
Thanks for making this thread! I’ve applied to MPhil Politics (Political Theory) and am anxiously awaiting a response. How is everybody feeling? It sounds as if it’s more competitive than in previous years...

I'm okay but to be honest since I heard some students have been rejected this morning I'm just stressing. What about you guys?

Why do you think that is more competitive?
Original post by s.zar
I'm okay but to be honest since I heard some students have been rejected this morning I'm just stressing. What about you guys?

Why do you think that is it more competitive?

Same here, I’m hoping for a response in the next week or so, but I’m not holding my breath. We’ll just have to tough it out and see, keeping my fingers crossed for us all!

And, from what I can gather, postgraduate applications tend to go up during times of crisis. Plus, a lot of people may have deferred/reapplied from last year due to COVID. I read on the Oxford Postgraduate Application forum that some courses have seen an increase in applications of approximately 30%.
Reply 6
Same here, I’m hoping for a response in the next week or so, but I’m not holding my breath. We’ll just have to tough it out and see, keeping my fingers crossed for us all!

And, from what I can gather, postgraduate applications tend to go up during times of crisis. Plus, a lot of people may have deferred/reapplied from last year due to COVID. I read on the Oxford Postgraduate Application forum that some courses have seen an increase in applications of approximately 30%.

That's scary...For our course there is only 13 places...Look at The Grad Coffee I read that someone has been rejected in mid Feburary
Reply 7
Where do you come from all? It would be useful to know each other a little bit to compare our backgrounds. I'm an international student living in the UK and actually studying at Birkbeck College. What about you guys?
Reply 8

I think there will be more competition this year due to the labour market and people who put it off last year due to covid.. LSE sent a mail round stating that they had 22% more applications this year than the last as of February, with some courses up by 40%.

I've applied for political theory - kinda struggling with the wait at the moment, and something playing on my mind is funding. I doubt I'll be able to take up my place (if I was offered one) without some kind of funding :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Morterla
Thanks for starting this thread! I am waiting for MPhil Political theory :smile::smile:

No problem, I've never actually started one before!

Original post by s.zar
Where do you come from all? It would be useful to know each other a little bit to compare our backgrounds. I'm an international student living in the UK and actually studying at Birkbeck College. What about you guys?

I'm from the UK, graduated from Birmingham in 2019 and been working since. I've also applied to Edinburgh, Cambridge, Warwick and LSE. Just waiting to hear back from Ox!
Reply 10
Original post by jonnyiw
I think there will be more competition this year due to the labour market and people who put it off last year due to covid.. LSE sent a mail round stating that they had 22% more applications this year than the last as of February, with some courses up by 40%.

I've applied for political theory - kinda struggling with the wait at the moment, and something playing on my mind is funding. I doubt I'll be able to take up my place (if I was offered one) without some kind of funding :frown:

Hope they will offer you some funding.

I'm really stressed to know that it's more competitive than previous years...I was hoping that cause of Brexit and COVID it will be less competitive...
Reply 11
Original post by jonnyiw
No problem, I've never actually started one before!

I'm from the UK, graduated from Birmingham in 2019 and been working since. I've also applied to Edinburgh, Cambridge, Warwick and LSE. Just waiting to hear back from Ox!

I also applied for Kings two days ago, and I will probably apply for LSE and UCL. But like you, I just want to hear back from Oxford.
Original post by s.zar

I’m from the UK (from Oxford initially!), currently in my final year at City, Univerisity of London! I’ve not applied anywhere else as Oxford is the only course I found interesting this year; if I don't get in I’ll take a year out to work then reassess my options next year!
What colleges have people applied for? I’ve applied to Nuffield because of the funding but ultimately happy with wherever if I’m even afforded a place!
Reply 14
What colleges have people applied for? I’ve applied to Nuffield because of the funding but ultimately happy with wherever if I’m even afforded a place!

For the moment, I applied to Oxford and Kings. But I just applied to Kings because I was not sure to be accepted at Oxford, but I hope to receive an answer from Oxford.
Reply 15
I don't know if it's true guys but I read in forums that the DPIR department is sending rejections at the beginning of March and then they are sending offers at the end of March...
Reply 16
Are we supposed to contact our potential supervisor?
Original post by s.zar
For the moment, I applied to Oxford and Kings. But I just applied to Kings because I was not sure to be accepted at Oxford, but I hope to receive an answer from Oxford.

Sorry, I meant Oxford colleges! St Johns’, Christchurch, Merton, etc! Hoping you receive good offers from both so you have some choice!
Original post by s.zar

Not necessarily, I reached out to mine months and months ago before I applied, and they never even got back to me. I don't think the department is expecting us to.
Reply 19

Nuffield as well, but I think that it is probably the most competitive because of the funding. Don't really mind where I end up if they offer me a place!

Original post by s.zar

I don't think this is necessary for a masters to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending