The Student Room Group

When will under 30s be vaccinated?

Scroll to see replies

Mental health issues have soared during the disastrous lockdown measures.

With it suicide rates have also soared as people slip into depression, lose their jobs and can see no positive future

At the same time cases of domestic abuse and violence have also soared.

Denial of these issues is frankly immoral. These problems are catastrophic for many people. Life changing.
good point
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth
Mental health issues have soared during the disastrous lockdown measures.

With it suicide rates have also soared as people slip into depression, lose their jobs and can see no positive future

At the same time cases of domestic abuse and violence have also soared.

Denial of these issues is frankly immoral. These problems are catastrophic for many people. Life changing.

Not as life changing as those left behind from the 100k deaths.

Suck it up cup cake. There’s a few more months of this.

I’ve used lockdown to chill out and address my mental health issues. I’m feeling a lot better in myself.
I don't need to "suck it up" thanks. The lockdowns for me personally have been no issue at all. I'm very used to sitting at home keeping myself busy.

But for others it has been appallingly difficult. Loneliness coupled with being frightened witless by a wicked relentless fear campaign by government and media. Old people literally petrified to go out of their front door. People psychologically damaged so much by the fearmongering that they refused to go near a hospital for regular treatment and thereby harmed their health, some even died because of being afraid to go to hospital.

It will all come out in the wash eventually after public inquiries. But by then the damage will have been done.
Original post by MatureStudent37
Not as life changing as those left behind from the 100k deaths.

Suck it up cup cake. There’s a few more months of this.

I’ve used lockdown to chill out and address my mental health issues. I’m feeling a lot better in myself.

I would feel much better I knew for sure that it was only a few more months of restrictions. But I'm worried that it could go on for longer, and I'm struggling with that. I'm glad you've managed to cope quite well in lockdown. There are many who haven't managed as well. I feel miserable, my life has been on hold for a year, I can't really enjoy myself anymore, and I have no idea when it's going to stop.
Original post by Megacent
I would feel much better I knew for sure that it was only a few more months of restrictions. But I'm worried that it could go on for longer, and I'm struggling with that. I'm glad you've managed to cope quite well in lockdown. There are many who haven't managed as well. I feel miserable, my life has been on hold for a year, I can't really enjoy myself anymore, and I have no idea when it's going to stop.

You are not alone Megacent. There are many 1000s of people across the country who have equally suffered. It's so easy for people to not realise this if their own personal circumstances are not too bad. Families with 2 or more kids probably had extremely high stress levels because the kids are in the parents faces 24x7, there's just no down time for them, no personal space that they would normally have. That must be dire for many.

Many old vulnerable people have become extremely lonely, having not been able to have any contact with family and friends for so long. Only being able to see people wave at them from behind a window and the like. Grandparents not being able to see or hug or play with their grandchildren. Such things were an integral part of their lives. Thankfully the restrictions loosened up a bit since that first lockdown but many remain extremely lonely and depressed.

Others who already had rocky relationships, where one partner is perhaps abusive or violent to the other or drinks excessively and becomes violent, will have been in a living hell for the past year. No way out. No "me" time away from the aggressor, just 24x7 fear of being abused or attacked at any moment with the stress and anxiety of the abuser growing all the time from themselves being locked down.

I think the government has probably gone as far as it can now with Draconian lockdown measures. The public are just not going to stand for it any more now that millions of people have been vaccinated. It will be extremely difficult to justify future lockdowns but I will lay good money they will try in the coming Autumn. The only way they can manage such a narrative it to play on the mutant strain angle. All other things being equal they would have to concede that if people were vaccinated then they are safe and protected and thus you couldn't justify a lockdown. So the only way around that is to constantly highlight new strains of the virus and tell people that their vaccinations are not effective enough against them. Which of course will set up the foundation for the annual repeating vaccination programme very nicely and Pharma will make $trillions from it. This is capitalism and globalism at its worse imo. Human health is now an exploitable commodity. I truly fear where this is all headed.

Everybody’s life has been on hold for a year. You’re not alone.

I can’t promise anything other than unless people continue to follow the rules and get vaccinated, it’ll all be over as soon as it can be.

Nobody wants this to go on forever. It’s the ones that don’t follow the rules and have issues with getting vaccinated that drag it out even longer.

I can’t promise anything other than unless people continue to follow the rules and get vaccinated, it’ll all be over as soon as it can be.

Nobody wants this to go on forever. It’s the ones that don’t follow the rules and have issues with getting vaccinated that drag it out even longer.

I know that everybodys life has been on hold. I'm lucky enough to be in a slightly better position because I'm doing well financially and I have friends I can always talk to. But I still feel really miserable most of the time now. Virtually anything fun in life has been outlawed, the public have been put under some of the most draconian restrictions in history, people are criminalized for doing something as innocent as meeting a friend for coffee or hugging a relative.

You say nobody wants this to go on forever, but it feels like some of the scientists do in fact want that. They are obsessed with covid and don't seem to realize that there is more to life, and that lockdown has a significant impact on peoples mental health :frown:

I'd love it if we could get back to normal in June and hopefully we will. But got a bad feeling they will find another excuse to drag the lockdown on even longer. We'll see who is right.

Actually you could not be more further from the truth.

The plain fact is that all those young people, the vast majority of which were not remotely at risk of developing serious Covid illness, and who went out partying and mingling and flouting the Draconian rules, have in so doing, spread Covid around each other, at tiny risk to themselves and thereby gained natural immunity. They have therefore greatly contributed to the herd immunity that we needed. Many millions of people in the UK have now had Covid and thus have natural immunity. Because of these people the world has become a safer place for the vulnerable.

It was always wrong and immoral to lock down those who are at no significant risk of getting serious Covid illness. They should have been allowed to live their lives and deal with Covid naturally. Exceptions obviously being any of them that are in close contact with vulnerable people.

The "Get 'em all vaxxed" brigade are simply pushing one way to gain immunity but it is equally valid to gain immunity naturally if you are not at significant risk. Millions already have that natural immunity. I include myself in that and I don't need to teach my body a second time how to deal with the virus via vaccination. It coped perfectly fine the first time around. That's how our immune systems work. I can't see any reason for those people who have had Covid to get vaccinated unless they feel particularly at risk.
Best wait till they all get vaccinated then.

Thank’s to all of them for helping to spread it amongst their vulnerable family members.

Good luck finding a pub that’s open until they’re legally able to open.

You haven’t got many friends have you? Quite an angry person who people give a wide berth to. But it’s ok. You’re just misunderstood.

Keep mashing away on the keyboard.

I don’t know what to do this evening once I’ve left work. Takeaway and the affections of woman? Or the affections of a woman and then a takeaway?

If you have the takeaway first at least brush your teeth ok? Nobody likes kebab breath :biggrin:
If you have the takeaway first at least brush your teeth ok? Nobody likes kebab breath :biggrin:

Finally @Megacent is talking sense :wink:

Will do😉

there are people out there who like playing on peoples fears
Original post by harrysbar
Finally @Megacent is talking sense :wink:

Mega sense

Thank’s to all of them for helping to spread it amongst their vulnerable family members.

I think that's a poor generalisation of young people and very much a slur. Most young people are extremely responsible and don't remotely want to spread virus to their parents or grandparents or anyone else who is vulnerable. Between themselves, I see no problem with them mingling as they are at such little risk from serious Covid illness. In fact they have more chance of dying in a car accident than from Covid.
I think that's a poor generalisation of young people and very much a slur. Most young people are extremely responsible and don't remotely want to spread virus to their parents or grandparents or anyone else who is vulnerable. Between themselves, I see no problem with them mingling as they are at such little risk from serious Covid illness. In fact they have more chance of dying in a car accident than from Covid.

As I say, they are. But not those who are vulnerable who they interact with. Or are you advocating people should’ve been locked up in halls or residence since last March?
As I say, they are. But not those who are vulnerable who they interact with. Or are you advocating people should’ve been locked up in halls or residence since last March?

The only people who should have been locked down are those deemed clinically "at risk" and anyone in close regular contact with them.
The only people who should have been locked down are those deemed clinically "at risk" and anyone in close regular contact with them.

So the whole country then? Those not at risk interact with those who are in close regular contact with those who are at risk.

We have a vaccination strategy in place now so we’re all in it together and we’ll all come out if this together.

For those who are struggling with lockdown I’m truly sorry. But all you’ve been asked to do is to not interact with people for a relatively short period of time until we science the sh*t out of a global pandemic. An activity in shortages how well we’ve done.
So the whole country then? Those not at risk interact with those who are in close regular contact with those who are at risk.

No not the whole country. Once again, only those at risk and those in regular close contact with them.

Those for example who live with vulnerable parents or grandparents must themselves act as if they too were at risk.
So no, those people must not go out or mingle with others in society. It's really not difficult to grasp.

Those who are not remotely at risk and who do not come into regular contact with vulnerable people should have been left alone and free to live their lives normally.

Instead we locked down everybody. We locked down people who did not have Covid, we locked down people who are not a significant risk to Covid and we failed to undertake serious levels of testing to dutifully inform people whether they were asymptomatic carriers. In so doing we have meted out catastrophe, increased mental health issues, increased suicides, increased domestic abuse and violence, destroyed 1000s of jobs and livelihoods, destroyed 1000s of businesses, destroyed the economy and much more.

Lockdowns will continue to be used imo. We are seeing a lull in cases and deaths again, primarily because we've all been in lockdown again and also due to the vaccine roll-out but inevitably as we all start to go out again when the lockdowns are relaxed, the number of cases will rise again and so too the numbers of deaths. There is no short term end-point to this situation. We will be in lockdown again come Autumn imo.

It's also patently obvious that the vaccine situation is being steered towards a regular annual vaccine program just like Flu which will be immensely lucrative for Pharma who will make $trillions going forward. NHS is already gearing up for it and is also planning to give booster shots in Autumn.

https://www.ft.com/content/26b256d0-d021-46ac-ae3d-e3ea823c033d

This can only happen (or be justified) if they constantly cite new strains of the virus and say that the vaccines need constant tweaking.

Interesting isn't it how in the past, vaccines used to be very much a one-shot affair. The vaccines taught your body how to recognise and deal with a disease (like Smallpox or Polio) and that was that. Now somehow Pharma has morphed the whole business of vaccinations into something else, vaccines that seem not to teach your body once and for all but which need teaching every year . . .! Go figure !

This is why I opt to take the Natural Immunity route. For me it is always stronger and longer lasting that vaccine-derived immunity.

It's why, imo, some 20%-50% of the population already had levels of immunity to Covid before the pandemic came along. Their immunity was gained from the natural immunity acquired from past bouts of colds, Flu and ILIs and in particular the strong T-Cell immunity.

As I've stated before, I have no intention at all of become a "vaccine junkie" having to take yearly Flu shots and yearly Covid shots and all the rest and very especially not for a virus for which 80% of cases are asymptomatic, and which 99% of people survive.

Past Colds and Flu provide T-Cell Immunity
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/immune-cells-common-cold-may-recognize-sars-cov-2

Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity?

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

Targets of T Cell Responses to SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus in Humans with COVID-19 Disease and Unexposed Individuals
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32473127/

Pre-existing and de novo humoral immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in humans
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.14.095414v2?ijkey=8fbd1e241022a88f953235bd5f1dd7b7afb5fbd4&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Phenotype of SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cells in COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.20062349v2?ijkey=72f9dee829f26db0e9d1f25b2a7c7f4b61eb4827&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell immunity in cases of COVID-19 and SARS, and uninfected controls
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32668444/

Pre-existing immunity to SARS-CoV-2: the knowns and unknowns
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32636479/
(edited 3 years ago)
No not the whole country. Once again, only those at risk and those in regular close contact with them.

Those for example who live with vulnerable parents or grandparents must themselves act as if they too were at risk.
So no, those people must not go out or mingle with others in society. It's really not difficult to grasp.

Those who are not remotely at risk and who do not come into regular contact with vulnerable people should have been left alone and free to live their lives normally.

Instead we locked down everybody. We locked down people who did not have Covid, we locked down people who are not a significant risk to Covid and we failed to undertake serious levels of testing to dutifully inform people whether they were asymptomatic carriers. In so doing we have meted out catastrophe, increased mental health issues, increased suicides, increased domestic abuse and violence, destroyed 1000s of jobs and livelihoods, destroyed 1000s of businesses, destroyed the economy and much more.

Lockdowns will continue to be used imo. We are seeing a lull in cases and deaths again, primarily because we've all been in lockdown again and also due to the vaccine roll-out but inevitably as we all start to go out again when the lockdowns are relaxed, the number of cases will rise again and so too the numbers of deaths. There is no short term end-point to this situation. We will be in lockdown again come Autumn imo.

It's also patently obvious that the vaccine situation is being steered towards a regular annual vaccine program just like Flu which will be immensely lucrative for Pharma who will make $trillions going forward. NHS is already gearing up for it and is also planning to give booster shots in Autumn.

https://www.ft.com/content/26b256d0-d021-46ac-ae3d-e3ea823c033d

This can only happen (or be justified) if they constantly cite new strains of the virus and say that the vaccines need constant tweaking.

Interesting isn't it how in the past, vaccines used to be very much a one-shot affair. The vaccines taught your body how to recognise and deal with a disease (like Smallpox or Polio) and that was that. Now somehow Pharma has morphed the whole business of vaccinations into something else, vaccines that seem not to teach your body once and for all but which need teaching every year . . .! Go figure !

This is why I opt to take the Natural Immunity route. For me it is always stronger and longer lasting that vaccine-derived immunity.

It's why, imo, some 20%-50% of the population already had levels of immunity to Covid before the pandemic came along. Their immunity was gained from the natural immunity acquired from past bouts of colds, Flu and ILIs and in particular the strong T-Cell immunity.

As I've stated before, I have no intention at all of become a "vaccine junkie" having to take yearly Flu shots and yearly Covid shots and all the rest and very especially not for a virus for which 80% of cases are asymptomatic, and which 99% of people survive.

Past Colds and Flu provide T-Cell Immunity
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/immune-cells-common-cold-may-recognize-sars-cov-2

Covid-19: Do many people have pre-existing immunity?

https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

Targets of T Cell Responses to SARS-CoV-2 Coronavirus in Humans with COVID-19 Disease and Unexposed Individuals
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32473127/

Pre-existing and de novo humoral immunity to SARS-CoV-2 in humans
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.05.14.095414v2?ijkey=8fbd1e241022a88f953235bd5f1dd7b7afb5fbd4&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Phenotype of SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cells in COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.20062349v2?ijkey=72f9dee829f26db0e9d1f25b2a7c7f4b61eb4827&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell immunity in cases of COVID-19 and SARS, and uninfected controls
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32668444/

Pre-existing immunity to SARS-CoV-2: the knowns and unknowns
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32636479/

Pseudoscience. The best type.

It’s like when Holocaust deniers selectively pick historical information to back up their lie.

Tell me again what all of these twenty somethings will be doing whilst half the country is in lockdown?

Will they be going to the pubs that aren’t open because the staff need to be in lockdown?

Schools/universities and colleges where the staff are on lockdown?

Using public transport whilst all of the staff are on lockdown?

We’ve had a big enough issue introducing nation wide lockdowns. You’re advocating a selected lockdown that can’t be enforced.

It would all have to be voluntary. A you can’t implement a voluntary lockdown in a pandemic.
Tell me again what all of these twenty somethings will be doing whilst half the country is in lockdown?

Oh I imagine they would be meeting up and having fun enjoying each other's company.

Going to beaches, having BBQs, a few beers in the sunshine bought from the supermarket

Going to parks, cycling, sunbathing, reading, surfing, wind-surfing, rock climbing

Gosh there's such a multitude of things people could have been doing, normal life activities.

And it doesn't remotely need to be twenty somethings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending