The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helenia
Not sure what you mean by minimum score. Is that the minimum score that someone got into that hospital with in the previous year? If so, ignore it. People's preferences may be different this year, and there is NO DISADVANTAGE to ranking everything just in order of your own preferences.

I'd assume decile meant your ranking decile combining EPM and SJT but I'm not quite sure of the context.

thanks helenia- see i find this so confusing as yes the minimum scores is what the people got in to hospitals in previous years (for the 2 step matching references-trusts and than jobs)

i dont know if its completely silly to ignore it as in the last 4 years the minumum scores have been nowhere near what i achieved?

and even the deciles -they say ranking is based on declies , than the sjt differentiates if equal score for north west? i'm not sure if it means deciles for med school or deciles that are on the distribution scores so if you scored 93 (max) youre in first decile and if you scored 73 (min) youre in lowest decile? can someone clarify? it really is all so confusing and i have no clue how i should do ranking!
Can anyone offer up some advice? I want to do anaesthetics and ICM later down the line. There are two jobs which offer Anaesthetics in my deanery but I'm not keen on the other 5 rotations (1 or 2 that I'd really rather avoid), whereas there are other jobs with 4 or 5 rotations which I really wouldn't mind and actually enjoyed in medical school, which should I rank higher? 😭
Original post by Anonymous
thanks helenia- see i find this so confusing as yes the minimum scores is what the people got in to hospitals in previous years (for the 2 step matching references-trusts and than jobs)

i dont know if its completely silly to ignore it as in the last 4 years the minumum scores have been nowhere near what i achieved?

and even the deciles -they say ranking is based on declies , than the sjt differentiates if equal score for north west? i'm not sure if it means deciles for med school or deciles that are on the distribution scores so if you scored 93 (max) youre in first decile and if you scored 73 (min) youre in lowest decile? can someone clarify? it really is all so confusing and i have no clue how i should do ranking!

It's not silly to ignore. It tells you that if applicants choose similarly to last year, you may not get that hospital. You can still apply, but be prepared for that. The key thing is, ranking that hospital higher than others you like less but think you have a "better chance at" puts you at no disadvantage either at your top choice or your lower down ones, so you have nothing to lose by doing it. (Caveat - this is if they are allocating hospitals and then jobs, and if location is the most important thing to you regardless of what rotations you'd be doing)

Their phrasing re. deciles is a little confusing, but I would read that as meaning the deciles for your overall score, not from your med school.
I wanna do either general surgery or GP down the line. Does it matter what hospital I go to for f1?
I wanna do either general surgery or GP down the line. Does it matter what hospital I go to for f1?

For GP, not that I can think of, but for surgery you need to build your portfolio early assuming F3 is out of the question (some specialities penalise F3 anyway). So, you probably want to find some less competitive hospital in my opinion, that way you may end up having more chances to the theatre to fill in your logbook, less people fighting for projects such as research or presentation as well.
Conflicted between W30 and W17 but unsure how competitive they are since they're both central glasgow ish!
How are you going about ranking yours? :smile:

Oh cool! I’ve not looked into W much myself, got my heart set on Edinburgh and a paeds rotation if I’m lucky 🤞
I like S01 (2nd choice for me ) too, but I put W one before that :smile:

Awesome! I have my fingers crossed for you ☺️
Anyone know where to get the allocation score for Northern FS this year?
Anyone knows if there’s a South Thames group?
Anyone knows if there’s a South Thames group?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6969214
Original post by Fenrir1223
Awesome! I have my fingers crossed for you ☺️

And for you! What’s your score if you don’t mind me asking?
And for you! What’s your score if you don’t mind me asking?

84.5 so fingers crossed that sneaks me into Edinburgh! Wbu?
Original post by Fenrir1223
84.5 so fingers crossed that sneaks me into Edinburgh! Wbu?

Well done for the score!
Original post by Helenia
It's not silly to ignore. It tells you that if applicants choose similarly to last year, you may not get that hospital. You can still apply, but be prepared for that. The key thing is, ranking that hospital higher than others you like less but think you have a "better chance at" puts you at no disadvantage either at your top choice or your lower down ones, so you have nothing to lose by doing it. (Caveat - this is if they are allocating hospitals and then jobs, and if location is the most important thing to you regardless of what rotations you'd be doing)

Their phrasing re. deciles is a little confusing, but I would read that as meaning the deciles for your overall score, not from your med school

thanks helenia so much for your input!!!

-has anyone got any more clarity on this and in general how it works?
Does anyone know if there's a NW LDN thread? :smile:
thanks helenia so much for your input!!!

-has anyone got any more clarity on this and in general how it works?

Anon #33 explained it pretty clearly in their previous post (this thread is SO confusing with all the anons - come out people!)

To simplify it, imagine you have 3 hospitals A, B and C. Each one has 30 jobs to fill, and there are 90 prospective F1s. As has already been said, they look at the applicant with the highest score (call them applicant #1) and give them their first choice. Then they look at applicant #2 and if their first choice hasn't already been taken, give them that, and so on. If their first choice has been taken, they are offered whichever of their highest choices is still available. This continues right down to #90 - who will obviously get whichever job is left, but this might not be the last one on their list!

So say historically hospital A is the most popular, B next, and C least popular - so C's minimum score will be the lowest. But that can only ever give you historical data - people choose differently each time. So maybe you are applicant #80. You want hospital A/B/C in that order, but are not sure you "stand a chance" at A.

If you put them down in A/B/C order, and by the time the allocation gets to #80, A has filled 29 posts, B 28 and C 23, you will get hospital A. If A is full but B still has spaces, you'll get B. If they're both full, you'll get C. Not what you wanted, but at least you tried - and you were prepared for the possibility you might not get in by knowing the previous scores.

If, however, you don't think you stand a chance at A, so put C/B/A, even though you'd rather work at A, and by the time the allocation gets to #80, A has filled 29 posts, B 28 and C 23, you will still get C, because you put it first. If A is full, but B has spaces, you'd still get C, because you put it first. So you've ended up in a job you didn't especially want, and will never know if there was a chance to have got something better.

The most important thing in the way these allocations work is that by putting A/B/C, you don't decrease your chances of getting B compared with if you put B first as a "safer" choice. So there is no disadvantage to putting your genuine favourite first and ranking in true preference order, regardless of what your score is. Hope that makes sense?
Can this all be done and over with. Such a long process and waiting game!
If it helps any same?

Dont worry. It shall be well.
Original post by Helenia
Anon #33 explained it pretty clearly in their previous post (this thread is SO confusing with all the anons - come out people!)

To simplify it, imagine you have 3 hospitals A, B and C. Each one has 30 jobs to fill, and there are 90 prospective F1s. As has already been said, they look at the applicant with the highest score (call them applicant #1) and give them their first choice. Then they look at applicant #2 and if their first choice hasn't already been taken, give them that, and so on. If their first choice has been taken, they are offered whichever of their highest choices is still available. This continues right down to #90 - who will obviously get whichever job is left, but this might not be the last one on their list!

So say historically hospital A is the most popular, B next, and C least popular - so C's minimum score will be the lowest. But that can only ever give you historical data - people choose differently each time. So maybe you are applicant #80. You want hospital A/B/C in that order, but are not sure you "stand a chance" at A.

If you put them down in A/B/C order, and by the time the allocation gets to #80, A has filled 29 posts, B 28 and C 23, you will get hospital A. If A is full but B still has spaces, you'll get B. If they're both full, you'll get C. Not what you wanted, but at least you tried - and you were prepared for the possibility you might not get in by knowing the previous scores.

If, however, you don't think you stand a chance at A, so put C/B/A, even though you'd rather work at A, and by the time the allocation gets to #80, A has filled 29 posts, B 28 and C 23, you will still get C, because you put it first. If A is full, but B has spaces, you'd still get C, because you put it first. So you've ended up in a job you didn't especially want, and will never know if there was a chance to have got something better.

The most important thing in the way these allocations work is that by putting A/B/C, you don't decrease your chances of getting B compared with if you put B first as a "safer" choice. So there is no disadvantage to putting your genuine favourite first and ranking in true preference order, regardless of what your score is. Hope that makes sense?

I think It does

really bottom line being for these 2 stage ranking deaneries
if hospital geography is more important than actual jobs (programme) than just rank hospitals in preference order of where you'd like to go and not to look at the minimum scores -is that correct?

it was just confusing as people even on the thread were talking about ranking looking at the minimum points but i reckon this was as they were considering the specific tracks and jobs they wanted in mind- (theyd rather have a specific type of job in a hospital they may not want down the line-rather than caring only about hospital geography?)

and those people who are looking to rank looking at previous scores -believing a low score will mean they'll end up with where minimum scores are accepting just in general are doing it misinfromed

just to say Helenia you've clarified it so so so so so much already-If the above is correct you've saved

me from a lot of misunderstanding and will completely change the way i rank-gives hope even if slim of getting the hospital i may want (even though unlikely)
-really really appreciate the time youve taken to do this
Hi, does anyone know which are the best hospitals to apply to in NWL deanery? I heard Chelsea & Westminster and Imperial trusts don't have nights as F1, is that right?

Latest

Trending

Trending