The Student Room Group

EU Idiots Score Another Colossal Own Goal

You just could not make it up !!

First the useless bureaucratic EU makes a complete dogs dinner of their vaccination program, failing to get orders in place early enough and of the right quantity.

Then in their childish 2yr old temper tantrums they try to use and abuse Article 122 to effectively try and seize vaccines that are not theirs, creating an Irish border, something they swore not to do, and are forced to back down.

Then they obstruct exports of vaccines to Australia.

Then they make fools of themselves telling public lies accusing the UK of blocking vaccine exports which are proven to be completely false.

Then they threaten to seize Astrazeneca vaccine plants, vaccines and intellectual property in Europe.

Now they have gone a step further and made themselves look utter morons by sending an elite team of Italian Carabinieri, SAS style to raid an Astrazeneca factory in Rome on the belief that Astrazeneca is secretly hoarding vaccines to send to the UK.

And what did this elite military force find?

29 million doses of AZ vaccine destined for Belgium and distribution around Europe!

What a bunch of absolute idiots.

I just can not believe people in this country voted to try and stay in this EU cesspit !!

Small wonder so many Remainers have now changed their minds.

Read the full story here:

EU's 'Most Embarrassing' Day: How The Story Behind The Vaccine Factory Raid Unravelled

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/03/24/eus-embarrassing-day-story-behind-vaccine-factory-raid-unravelled/
Bad optics for the EU - I saw quite a few people on twitter such as Dan Hodges saying it made him regret voting to remain.

That said perfectly reasonable for the EU to shaft us for their own benefit. If the roles were reversed I'd do the same and so would anyone sane.
Meanwhile I'm sure the member states, esp the larger ones are looking on in bewilderment at the total incompetence of the crony organisation they have tied themselves to and are thinking "what the hell are we doing here?"

This was an utterly desperate, desperate ruse by the EU fools to try and save some face and PR in the wake of growing anti-EU sentiment across the member states. Of course had they actually found 29 million doses destined for the UK they would have spread it all over the media by way of trying to lessen the impact of their own incompetance, saying "Its not our fault, Astrazeneca have been secretly stashing vaccines to send to the UK"

As it stands the EU now just looks utterly useless and redundant.

One can only expect FrExit and ItalExit to gather pace
Original post by PilgrimOfTruth

One can only expect FrExit and ItalExit to gather pace

I can't see that happening Le Pen and Salvini don't support leaving the EU but reforming it which I think is much more likely as populist right wing parties continue to rise...

It would be amusing to see Adonis and Clegg et al suddenly become brexiteers when Orban becomes EU president in 2032 🤣🤣🤣
The whole vaccine fiasco has demonstrated how pathetically-weak the EU is. The fact they've had to resort to such petty tactics in order to overcome their inaction towards vaccination, alongside widespread anger from their own member-states at how they've handled things, suggests others may follow suit with regards to leaving like Britain has.
Reply 5
Original post by JOSH4598
The whole vaccine fiasco has demonstrated how pathetically-weak the EU is. The fact they've had to resort to such petty tactics in order to overcome their inaction towards vaccination, alongside widespread anger from their own member-states at how they've handled things, suggests others may follow suit with regards to leaving like Britain has.

They are not pathetic or weak. They were just a bit slow. If you turned the tables and replace the letters EU with UK, no doubt you would be clamouring for the UK government to stop exports to all those foreigners?

To suggest the EU are incompetent after the catalogue of incompetence made by our own government leading to the UK suffering one of the highest death rates in the world is somewhat two faced.
Original post by hotpud
They are not pathetic or weak. They were just a bit slow. If you turned the tables and replace the letters EU with UK, no doubt you would be clamouring for the UK government to stop exports to all those foreigners?

To suggest the EU are incompetent after the catalogue of incompetence made by our own government leading to the UK suffering one of the highest death rates in the world is somewhat two faced.

The difference is that the UK ordered the AstraZeneca vaccines far earlier than the EU and got on with their vaccination programme. The EU delayed things for as long as possible hoping they could create a European jab which ended up never happening. It's only now the EU are coming to realise their error, so have decided to throw a load of criticism towards AstraZeneca and block vaccines the UK had on order.

I think we all know that if this was the other way round, with the UK lagging behind the EU yet holding the bulk of manufacturing power, there's no way Britain would get away with holding back European jabs they've rightfully ordered.

The fact the EU bypassed any attempts to actually negotiate with countries and instead just decided to block the movement of goods shows that they are rather pathetic and rather weak. Surely if their reasons for doing this were so legitimate, they could have convinced the UK to share their vaccines (which Boris Johnson has now agreed to do).
Reply 7
Original post by JOSH4598
The fact the EU bypassed any attempts to actually negotiate with countries and instead just decided to block the movement of goods shows that they are rather pathetic and rather weak. Surely if their reasons for doing this were so legitimate, they could have convinced the UK to share their vaccines (which Boris Johnson has now agreed to do).

Except the EU haven't actually done anything yet have they? My understanding is that it is all just rhetoric and political power plays.

Time will tell. We are still going to end up worse off out of the EU. Trade is already massively down.
Original post by hotpud
Except the EU haven't actually done anything yet have they? My understanding is that it is all just rhetoric and political power plays.

Time will tell. We are still going to end up worse off out of the EU. Trade is already massively down.

It's rather remarkable that even when the EU makes such notable and obvious failures, the avid Remainers still jump to their defence. The 'rhetoric' was not some baseless accusation made at the EU, it came from legitimate claims they made hence why the UK government has now agreed to give part of our supply to them.

And the argument for Brexit was not necessarily an economic one. Those who voted largely did so based on social and political motivations (perceived sovereignty and immigration being the biggest two). The vocal activists who actively opposed Brexit keep bringing up the fact that trade is impacted as if to say 'we told you so' - I think most people who voted for Brexit knew that and decided social/political benefits outweighted it. The argument over the pros/cons of European membership has long passed given we are no longer in the Union.
Original post by hotpud

They very much are pathetic in the plethora of childish displays of tantrums they have shown. Their own people are dying in droves whilst they p*ss about trying to abuse treaty articles, trying to block vaccine exports and raiding vaccine factories. It's a catastrophe and the member state citizens can see it for what it is. Utter EU bureaucratic failure on a grand scale.

No question at all that the UK government has not handled the pandemic at all well here but you can't knock them for the amazing job they've done on the vaccine program which has rolled out with military precision.

The EU is presiding over a complete disaster
They very much are pathetic in the plethora of childish displays of tantrums they have shown. Their own people are dying in droves whilst they p*ss about trying to abuse treaty articles, trying to block vaccine exports and raiding vaccine factories. It's a catastrophe and the member state citizens can see it for what it is. Utter EU bureaucratic failure on a grand scale.

No question at all that the UK government has not handled the pandemic at all well here but you can't knock them for the amazing job they've done on the vaccine program which has rolled out with military precision.

The EU is presiding over a complete disaster

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I wonder how long the EU can keep going for - I can say with great certainty in my lifetime as a teenager the EU will cease to exist. They act as some God-like institution ruling the continent but as soon as a major issue arises they make a complete mess of it!
Reply 11
WE HAVE LEFT THE EU!

Why do remoaners keep banging on about an inconsequential bunch of countries? Wish they stopped creating threads like this in the UK POLITICS sub forum.

Go and post your remoaner threads somewhere else.
Original post by Quady
WE HAVE LEFT THE EU!

Why do remoaners keep banging on about an inconsequential bunch of countries? Wish they stopped creating threads like this in the UK POLITICS sub forum.

Go and post your remoaner threads somewhere else.

...this thread was made by a leaver? 🤔
Reply 13
Original post by SHallowvale
...this thread was made by a leaver? 🤔

Doubt it, why would they bang on about the bloody EU when WE HAVE LEFT.
Original post by Quady
Doubt it, why would they bang on about the bloody EU when WE HAVE LEFT.

You seem extremely confused

I am very much a BrExiteer. This thread highlights the incompetence of the EU and the disaster they are presiding over whilst engaging in petty spiteful actions against the EU. It couldn't be a more Leaver oriented thread TBH.

The actions of the EU since Jan 1st underpin precisely why it was right that we left and equally underpin why we should never think about rejoining for a single second.
Reply 15
You seem extremely confused

I am very much a BrExiteer. This thread highlights the incompetence of the EU and the disaster they are presiding over whilst engaging in petty spiteful actions against the EU. It couldn't be a more Leaver oriented thread TBH.

The actions of the EU since Jan 1st underpin precisely why it was right that we left and equally underpin why we should never think about rejoining for a single second.

Why do you care about the EU? They are irrelevant.

It appears you're thinking about it - you brought it up.

This is the kinda of asymmetric warfare remoaners are doing these days, using neurolingistic programme to subliminally suggest rejoining.
Okay I've been away for a bit, the EU have tried to use Astrazeneca as a scapegoat for their own Incompetence but the truth of the matter is that we ( the British taxpayers) funded the development of said vaccine, the UK also signed a legally binding contract for our amount of doses.
The EU have done their best to try to play down the effectiveness of the Astrazeneca vaccine but all that has done is led to EU citizens turning down a perfectly good vaccine.
I had my first jab yesterday and guess what, there have been absolutely no side effects.
All those on here calling for Boris Johnson's head because of his mishandling of the coronavirus situation should equally be calling the EU's mishandling, unless they are hypocrites of course.
Reply 17
Original post by ColinDent

All those on here calling for Boris Johnson's head because of his mishandling of the coronavirus situation should equally be calling the EU's mishandling, unless they are hypocrites of course.

Why?

Why should I give a stuff if ant other country than my own mishandled anything? The leaders of other states or 'unions' aren't accountable to the BRITISH electorate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending