The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

OFFICIAL KCL MSc NURSING/MIDWIFERY 2021

Hello!!! Thought I'd start a thread for those starting MSc Nursing/Midwifery September 2021 for questions, discussions or anything else really.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have an interview for childrens nursing. Could someone pls give me some info on what they ask? Xo
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by mdj2028
I have an interview for childrens nursing. Could someone pls give me some info on what they ask? Xo

Hi, I’ve got an interview for adult nursing next week. I’ve been doing research to prepare so if I were you this is what I’d do :
- Research typical children’s nursing interview qs on YouTube and online
- Research into what children’s nurses do because the interviewers are likely to ask what you know about their role (e.g, they assess, plan and execute treatment)
- Think about why you chose that specific branch, they may ask why you chose children’s instead of mental health for example
- Think about why you chose KCL (if that’s your chosen uni)
- Also make sure you acknowledge the challenges that come with nursing but say why u have the skills/experience to handle such a difficult career and put a positive spin on it
Just make sure your friendly and I’m sure you’ll do great ! Hope this helped and good luck ! ☺️
Reply 3
Original post by Kenza B
Hi, I’ve got an interview for adult nursing next week. I’ve been doing research to prepare so if I were you this is what I’d do :
- Research typical children’s nursing interview qs on YouTube and online
- Research into what children’s nurses do because the interviewers are likely to ask what you know about their role (e.g, they assess, plan and execute treatment)
- Think about why you chose that specific branch, they may ask why you chose children’s instead of mental health for example
- Think about why you chose KCL (if that’s your chosen uni)
- Also make sure you acknowledge the challenges that come with nursing but say why u have the skills/experience to handle such a difficult career and put a positive spin on it
Just make sure your friendly and I’m sure you’ll do great ! Hope this helped and good luck ! ☺️

Omg thank you soo much thats really helpful!! Ill let you guys know how it goes, thanks!!
Reply 4
Original post by mdj2028
Omg thank you soo much thats really helpful!! Ill let you guys know how it goes, thanks!!

Your welcome ! Glad I could help 😊
Reply 5
Hi, I applied for MSc Adult Nursing in Jan and still waiting for an interview! 🤞 How long did it take for everyone to get their interview dates after applying? The wait is making me so anxious😩
Reply 6
Original post by Trena97x
Hi, I applied for MSc Adult Nursing in Jan and still waiting for an interview! 🤞 How long did it take for everyone to get their interview dates after applying? The wait is making me so anxious😩

Applied in November and got an interview in march x
Hi I applied for msc children’s nursing at KCL months ago and still haven’t heard anything. I also applied at City and LSB and haven’t heard from them either. How long should it take to hear back?
Original post by BarleyCorn
Hi I applied for msc children’s nursing at KCL months ago and still haven’t heard anything. I also applied at City and LSB and haven’t heard from them either. How long should it take to hear back?

I'm still waiting to hear back from KLC as well. I applied at the end of January. I got an interview intivitation for LSB last week.
Reply 9
Hi! I’m looking at applying for children’s nursing for the 2022 intake.

Any tips on what to include in the personal statement?

Also, I will be a mature student coming from a finance background, are there any things you would recommend I do before applying to support the success of my application? For example additional qualifications or anything? Xx
Original post by joe_ex
Hi! I’m looking at applying for children’s nursing for the 2022 intake.

Any tips on what to include in the personal statement?

Also, I will be a mature student coming from a finance background, are there any things you would recommend I do before applying to support the success of my application? For example additional qualifications or anything? Xx

You are the same as me, I too came in from a finance background and I was offered a place for Adult Nursing Sep 2021. I highly recommend you do care work of some kind. I worked as a care worker last year for three months on the weekends as well as working a full time job. I had no previous experience of a carer role, all you need is the right attitude. Do some volunteer work too if you can, I did some volunteer work in Ghana for two weeks (pre-covid times mind you) as a child carer at a primary school in a small village where I actually got to help the nurses in the local clinic. I understand this might not be possible now for some time, so I think it would be very good for you if you signed up as an NHS volunteer :smile: All and any experience will help :smile:

In your personal statement talk about how your experience in finance will help you in your career as a nurse, relate it as much as you can. Good time keeping, attention to detail, working under pressure, communication skills, team working etc. If you have any space left you might want to talk about how you are going to cope with the work load involved with the degree such as any hobbies you have.

Talk about why you want to change you career in to nursing and what nursing means to you also why specifically children's nursing.

If you need more information let me know, more than happy to help a fellow mature student career changer :smile:
Reply 11
Hi!! It’s so good to speak with someone in such a similar position! Would love to talk to you more about what motivated you and how you feel from moving from a corporate setting to public healthcare? Is there a way I can private message you? Please private message me any time x
Original post by Anonymous
You are the same as me, I too came in from a finance background and I was offered a place for Adult Nursing Sep 2021. I highly recommend you do care work of some kind. I worked as a care worker last year for three months on the weekends as well as working a full time job. I had no previous experience of a carer role, all you need is the right attitude. Do some volunteer work too if you can, I did some volunteer work in Ghana for two weeks (pre-covid times mind you) as a child carer at a primary school in a small village where I actually got to help the nurses in the local clinic. I understand this might not be possible now for some time, so I think it would be very good for you if you signed up as an NHS volunteer :smile: All and any experience will help :smile:

In your personal statement talk about how your experience in finance will help you in your career as a nurse, relate it as much as you can. Good time keeping, attention to detail, working under pressure, communication skills, team working etc. If you have any space left you might want to talk about how you are going to cope with the work load involved with the degree such as any hobbies you have.

Talk about why you want to change you career in to nursing and what nursing means to you also why specifically children's nursing.

If you need more information let me know, more than happy to help a fellow mature student career changer :smile:

Original post by joe_ex
Hi!! It’s so good to speak with someone in such a similar position! Would love to talk to you more about what motivated you and how you feel from moving from a corporate setting to public healthcare? Is there a way I can private message you? Please private message me any time x

Hi! I’ve got an interview with Kcl today for adult nursing, could I ask you how it was ?
Original post by Nurse_Doll
Hi! I’ve got an interview with Kcl today for adult nursing, could I ask you how it was ?

Have you had it already
Anyone heard from msc mental health nursing? I applied at end of Jan and haven't heard back yet :frown:
Have you had it already

Yeah
Yeah

how did it go?
how did it go?

It was okay, just that the interviewer wasn’t part of the relevant department so I couldn’t ask her many questions and she assumed I was aware of the interview layout which was false so I was sort of blindsided by it all, but overall not a bad interview.

Have you had yours ?
It was okay, just that the interviewer wasn’t part of the relevant department so I couldn’t ask her many questions and she assumed I was aware of the interview layout which was false so I was sort of blindsided by it all, but overall not a bad interview.

Have you had yours ?

But at least it went well for you. yea I had mine back in October. May be we might be classmates, fingers crossed you get your offer. Tell us how it goes xxx
But at least it went well for you. yea I had mine back in October. May be we might be classmates, fingers crossed you get your offer. Tell us how it goes xxx

I hope so, she seemed to like my responses so yeah, fingers crossed because that’s my first choice! Did you get your offer from them already ? Xoxo

Quick Reply

Latest