The Student Room Group

Clearing to a uni a got rejected from?

So I got rejected from the university I want to go to ( kinda) they gave me an offer for an alternate subject, however I want really the original subject I applied for. Is there any way that I can apply through clearing? Or is that not possible as they have already rejected my offer?

Scroll to see replies

Why did they reject you? If it was just because you didnt quite make the cut for an offer and not that you didn't meet the entry requirements etc, then its worth a fast phone call on Results Day to see if they are interested in you (you don't have to be 'in Clearing' to ask). They may not have any spaces but its worth a phone call. Are you going to accept the alt-course?
Original post by nicolegrace1207
So I got rejected from the university I want to go to ( kinda) they gave me an offer for an alternate subject, however I want really the original subject I applied for. Is there any way that I can apply through clearing? Or is that not possible as they have already rejected my offer?

If they rejected you it sounds like they have reason and it is unlikely they will accept you in clearing. If they felt you were going to make it and they werent over subscribed they would have made you an offer. It doesnt look likely you will get in through clearing and that is assuming the course is in clearing in the first instance. You can try but dont build up your hopes.
Original post by McGinger
Why did they reject you? If it was just because you didnt quite make the cut for an offer and not that you didn't meet the entry requirements etc, then its worth a fast phone call on Results Day to see if they are interested in you (you don't have to be 'in Clearing' to ask). They may not have any spaces but its worth a phone call. Are you going to accept the alt-course?

I already have the entry requirements as I did my a levels last year, I had an interview with them and they just rejected my offer and gave me one for a different subject. I don’t plan on accepting this offer as it’s not something I want to study for 3 years, however the university is somewhere I’d love to study.
Original post by swanseajack1
If they rejected you it sounds like they have reason and it is unlikely they will accept you in clearing. If they felt you were going to make it and they werent over subscribed they would have made you an offer. It doesnt look likely you will get in through clearing and that is assuming the course is in clearing in the first instance. You can try but dont build up your hopes.

I already have the entry requirements as I did my a levels last year, they rejected me after an interview.
I already have the entry requirements as I did my a levels last year, they rejected me after an interview.

To be honest if they rejected you after an interview it very much sounds like it is a very competitive course which they are likely to fill and wont be available in clearing but you can try.
Which Uni / course was this for ?
Original post by McGinger
Which Uni / course was this for ?

Nottingham Trent for Veterinary Nursing, they offered me Animal Biology instead.
Nottingham Trent for Veterinary Nursing, they offered me Animal Biology instead.

I dont know anything about this particular course but anything medical, nursing, veterinary and dental tends to be over subscribed and difficult to get into. You can whether this course will be in clearing but dont build your hopes up
Reply 9
I'm pretty sure in clearing they actually look for students who have exceeded their criteria, so if you've received a post-interview rejection I would just move on or reapply the next year. I'd love to say you have a chance but especially in these fields I very much doubt it.
I think people have already answered your question but what I would suggest is that you look into this animal biology course and see if it is something you are interested in. This is 3 years of your life. In my opinion, the course is way more important than the university. Have you got any other offers for veterinary nursing elsewhere?
If it was a for a course that interviews, and you were rejected post-interview, then it seems unlikely they would consider you through clearing. They might consider you if you took a gap year and reapplied, hopefully with some relevant work experience and doing better in a new interview.
Or look on UCAS Search - Vet Nursing courses are still open at lots of Universities/Colleges including Middlesex, Hartpury, Sparsholt, Writtle, etc. Do you actually want to do this course/career or just 'go to NTU'?
Original post by Kabzzzy
I'm pretty sure in clearing they actually look for students who have exceeded their criteria, so if you've received a post-interview rejection I would just move on or reapply the next year. I'd love to say you have a chance but especially in these fields I very much doubt it.

Oh, I thought clearing was for those who didn’t get the entry requirements and universities will accept a student who didn’t get the grades just to fill up the course”.
Oh, I thought clearing was for those who didn’t get the entry requirements and universities will accept a student who didn’t get the grades just to fill up the course”.

You weren’t rejected due to your qualifications though. So even if they lower entry requirements qualifications wise that doesn’t change the fact that you were rejected based on your interview performance.
You really do have to accept the reality that they don't want you.
They still will not want you in August regardless of the grades you get.

Its time to move on. You can either accept the other course at NTU and live with it, or apply somewhere else for the subject you want - your choice.

That may happen with some courses but never anything competitive. And I'm pretty sure anything vet related is ultra competitive!
Original post by Kabzzzy
That may happen with some courses but never anything competitive. And I'm pretty sure anything vet related is ultra competitive!

Agreed. I would doubt that there would be many spaces for veterinary nursing in clearing anyway plus they wouldn't lower the grades for those kinds of courses anyway.
Original post by something_orphic
Agreed. I would doubt that there would be many spaces for veterinary nursing in clearing anyway plus they wouldn't lower the grades for those kinds of courses anyway.

I’m currently a Veterinary nursing student, 1st year. I’d just like to change uni’s as I’m unhappy at my current one. I actually got into my current one, with the grades DCC even tho the entry requirement was BCC. I’m hoping Bcos of covid they’re a bit more lenient, as I didn’t actually get to sit my a levels! So my grades are just a *prediction *
I’m currently a Veterinary nursing student, 1st year. I’d just like to change uni’s as I’m unhappy at my current one. I actually got into my current one, with the grades DCC even tho the entry requirement was BCC. I’m hoping Bcos of covid they’re a bit more lenient, as I didn’t actually get to sit my a levels! So my grades are just a *prediction *

Ah Okay I understand better. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending