The Student Room Group

Should I fast when I have exams and deadlines?

So I'm in 2nd year of uni and I have exams and assignments due in a couple of weeks and they are extremely stressful. I'm not a strict Muslim at all, I don't pray 5 times a day, I don't read Quran etc but when it comes to Ramadan usually everyone in my family traditionally fasts. But idk if I should do it cause I get headaches and really struggle to revise/work whilst fasting. I didn't fast during A levels so idk if I should bother with it. Again my parents are not strict and they said its entirely up to me... So idk what to do? Any advice from fellow Muslims? Thanks
If you don't practice your religion I don't think you should fast if you're solely doing it because you're around your family who are fasting- Who are u pleasing at the end of the day, them or god?
Your fasts won't even be valid if you're not praying 5x a day.
(edited 3 years ago)
My advice is too try and fast and study during the times where you are able to eat/drink or feel like you can study.

there is no excuse to not too fast.

saying you are not a strict muslim doesn't take away the fact that you need to fast.

you also need to pray 5 times a days, as hard as it seems give it a shot, doing one prayer is better than nothing. i started 2 years to pray, this was during Ramadan and i wasnt praying all 5. but now alhamdulilah over the years its built up to 5.

alot of people ask if i dont pray, will my fast be accepted. the salah is what makes you mulsim, without it you are just another disbeliever. and so your good deeds will be thrown back at you and not accepted. so my brother or sister please fast and pray this could be your last Ramadan or possibly the last month of your life, make the most of it and try to make positive changes to your life.
the smallest deeds done sincerely and regularly are more beloved to allah swt than the deeds which are done to boast.
Original post by HumbleBee_x
If you don't practice your religion I don't think you should fast if you're solely doing it because you're around your family who are fasting- Who are u pleasing at the end of the day, them or god?
Your fasts won't even be valid if you're not praying 5x a day.

Yh.. I really don't know why I even call myself a Muslim tbh. Thanks
Original post by idkyettbh
My advice is too try and fast and study during the times where you are able to eat/drink or feel like you can study.

there is no excuse to not too fast.

saying you are not a strict muslim doesn't take away the fact that you need to fast.

you also need to pray 5 times a days, as hard as it seems give it a shot, doing one prayer is better than nothing. i started 2 years to pray, this was during Ramadan and i wasnt praying all 5. but now alhamdulilah over the years its built up to 5.

alot of people ask if i dont pray, will my fast be accepted. the salah is what makes you mulsim, without it you are just another disbeliever. and so your good deeds will be thrown back at you and not accepted. so my brother or sister please fast and pray this could be your last Ramadan or possibly the last month of your life, make the most of it and try to make positive changes to your life.
the smallest deeds done sincerely and regularly are more beloved to allah swt than the deeds which are done to boast.

I know but its hard when I've been bought up in a more western society/household where my parents never taught us about Islam. I don't really believe in God even though I call myself a Muslim. Ramadan in our household is a more of a family traditional thing
. Why should I even bother if I'm not serious about Islam.. I'm better off getting good grades right?
Original post by SongBird2020
I know but its hard when I've been bought up in a more western society/household where my parents never taught us about Islam. I don't really believe in God even though I call myself a Muslim. Ramadan in our household is a more of a family traditional thing
. Why should I even bother if I'm not serious about Islam.. I'm better off getting good grades right?

i didnt reply to put anyone down or to try to talk you out of fasting. if you want to talk about it/ give you some words of advice which may help in sha allah im more than happy to chat to you, private dm.?????????
Original post by SongBird2020
So I'm in 2nd year of uni and I have exams and assignments due in a couple of weeks and they are extremely stressful. I'm not a strict Muslim at all, I don't pray 5 times a day, I don't read Quran etc but when it comes to Ramadan usually everyone in my family traditionally fasts. But idk if I should do it cause I get headaches and really struggle to revise/work whilst fasting. I didn't fast during A levels so idk if I should bother with it. Again my parents are not strict and they said its entirely up to me... So idk what to do? Any advice from fellow Muslims? Thanks

Fasting brings so much more barakah into ur life! I fasted during my gcse exams and now insha'allah my A level exams which r taking place this month. I feel like fasting during exams have benefitted me so much. Remember the most important test is the one ur taking to worship & please Allah so that u can enter through the gates of Jannah in the Akhirah. Then only after that are exams important. But if u get rlly bad headaches you shouldn't be fasting anyway and should immediately break it Allah mentions that fasting should not bring upon any hardship on u.
Drying out can prompt bewilderment, disarray or faintness, all of which may have a genuine effect upon your exhibition in an assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending