The Student Room Group

what should i do at university?

hi, i want to eventually become a midwife, so i was wondering what you midwife degree people have done for a-levels or btec courses. Also,i am not sure whether to do a nursing degree before my midwifery courses. I am desperate to do nursing as well as midwifery, does anyone have any experiences of both? Or any recommendations as to what course i should choose?
There are certain combinations of degrees that aren’t allowed due to the amount of crossover in the modules. So once you have a degree in one of them you may not be able to do the other
You need to make sure that nursing and midwifery aren’t one of those combinations, and if they are decide which one you want more.
Original post by jessb0070
hi, i want to eventually become a midwife, so i was wondering what you midwife degree people have done for a-levels or btec courses. Also,i am not sure whether to do a nursing degree before my midwifery courses. I am desperate to do nursing as well as midwifery, does anyone have any experiences of both? Or any recommendations as to what course i should choose?

Hi jess xx

Here's a few things you'll need to do first ok - check with your chosen universities you wishing to attend & study your degree in nursing or midwifing at for there entry requirements for these degrees course's as every university sets there own requirements for these courses and that way you'll know what you need exactly and take it from there ok.

Now here's your problem for wishing to do both ok :- you can't do midwifing first and if you want to be a adult nurse as there's no crossover courses for this. Unlike if you do your adult nursing degree first and qualify in 3 years time then get a job as a nurse on wards etc for to gain some vital experience in nursing and then you can ask your ward manager / sister about applying to do the 20 months shortened top-up degree course for midwifing ( must get permission from your hospital management for to do this ) but only downfall is you got back to university as a student midwife which will mean your nursing registration being suspended during this time by NMC till you pass that shortened course but can apply for it back few months prior of finishing top-up degree course, this stops you working as a nurse till them unfortunately. Something to consider ok.
Also as majority of universities are stopping this shortened top-up course you'll need to perhaps have to do the whole 3 years degree course for midwifing to be one but check with your university on this nearer time.

My suggestion is chose which one you really want to do okay.
Basically if you want to be a midwife then go and apply for this course and it's similar if you want to be a adult nurse.
As said above on doing both then you'll need adult nursing first before doing midwifing. Or alternative is do 3 years degree course for both but you do need to find jobs in both fields and complete required hours per year under the NMC regulations for dual courses.

I'm a registered midwife .
Reply 3
I think @Allyson2020 did adult nursing and then midwifery - maybe she can offer some help?
Original post by millsr
I think @Allyson2020 did adult nursing and then midwifery - maybe she can offer some help?

Hi
As said in post #4 to person on this you can only do midwifing from adult nursing via the shortened top-up course once you do adult nursing first.
There's no conversion courses from midwifing to adult nursing as you can only work as a midwife if you qualify as one but if she did this first she would need to go back to university and do her adult nursing so if she wants to do both then it's probably best to do what I said to her in my message on it by doing adult nursing first then get on top-up course if the particular university she want to goto for this does it.

@Emily_B - do you know anything on this as I said everything on it about this .
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
As said in post #4 to person on this you can only do midwifing from adult nursing via the shortened top-up course once you do adult nursing first.
There's no conversion courses from midwifing to adult nursing as you can only work as a midwife if you qualify as one but if she did this first she would need to go back to university and do her adult nursing so if she wants to do both then it's probably best to do what I said to her in my message on it by doing adult nursing first then get on top-up course if the particular university she want to goto for this does it.

@Emily_B - do you know anything on this as I said everything on it about this .

@Tracey_W this is literally what I would have said.
Only thing to add is that adult nursing to midwifery top up courses are few and far between so do your research as to where does these top up courses
Original post by millsr

@jessb0070
@millsr

Hi Jess

Now I did adult nursing first as been a qualified nurse for almost now 11 years. I decide to do the shortened 20 months top-up course for midwifing in 2018 but due to covid19 I missed few months of it as hard to go back onto wards as nurse dealing with frontline covid19 patients. I did eventually finish course in late 2020 and passed it so I'm now currently dual nurse but unfortunately at present I'm still on wards side as adult nurse. I do have 3 years under NMC regulations to find a midwifing position as otherwise need to drop my registration for midwifing untill such time I am able to work full-time as a midwife or if possible do both part time, I'm in middle of applying for a midwife position on part-time basis and I have to similar with my adult nursing as well and then work within the NMC regulations on hours requiring for those.

To get to your point you asking on this okay, I see that @Tracey_W has mentioned how things works with this for you as she is correct about it I'm afraid as you can't do midwifery first then do adult nursing afterwards as there isn't any conversion's courses for this unlike if you do your adult nursing degree first then you'll get a opportunity to ask your ward manager & hospital trust if you can apply to do this course. You do need there permission first on this as can't just go and do this without it okay.
I would honestly say to you do your adult nursing degree first and foremost okay and then go and do the shortened course but bear in mind that these shortened courses are now starting to be phrased out so do pick carefully which university will be offering this still in about 3/4 years after you start your nursing career at university. If any university not offering this then I would defo do midwifing from the off to safe any hassle in future as I think last thing you want to be doing is going back to university for another 3 years to do this course as a student unable to work as a nurse throughout ( this is what NMC are wanting all new students to do ).

Your qualification - look at what universities you are applying to and see what each one is asking for entry requirements for both courses as every one has there own requirements for nursing courses. Some will ask you have English, Maths & Biology or a science subject where others won't ask for all 3 so do your research on these okay and you will at least know what to aim for to get into university.

Any questions then you can PM me anytime and I will try to answer your questions ok. X
Reply 7
Original post by Allyson2020
@jessb0070
@millsr

Hi Jess

Now I did adult nursing first as been a qualified nurse for almost now 11 years. I decide to do the shortened 20 months top-up course for midwifing in 2018 but due to covid19 I missed few months of it as hard to go back onto wards as nurse dealing with frontline covid19 patients. I did eventually finish course in late 2020 and passed it so I'm now currently dual nurse but unfortunately at present I'm still on wards side as adult nurse. I do have 3 years under NMC regulations to find a midwifing position as otherwise need to drop my registration for midwifing untill such time I am able to work full-time as a midwife or if possible do both part time, I'm in middle of applying for a midwife position on part-time basis and I have to similar with my adult nursing as well and then work within the NMC regulations on hours requiring for those.

To get to your point you asking on this okay, I see that @Tracey_W has mentioned how things works with this for you as she is correct about it I'm afraid as you can't do midwifery first then do adult nursing afterwards as there isn't any conversion's courses for this unlike if you do your adult nursing degree first then you'll get a opportunity to ask your ward manager & hospital trust if you can apply to do this course. You do need there permission first on this as can't just go and do this without it okay.
I would honestly say to you do your adult nursing degree first and foremost okay and then go and do the shortened course but bear in mind that these shortened courses are now starting to be phrased out so do pick carefully which university will be offering this still in about 3/4 years after you start your nursing career at university. If any university not offering this then I would defo do midwifing from the off to safe any hassle in future as I think last thing you want to be doing is going back to university for another 3 years to do this course as a student unable to work as a nurse throughout ( this is what NMC are wanting all new students to do ).

Your qualification - look at what universities you are applying to and see what each one is asking for entry requirements for both courses as every one has there own requirements for nursing courses. Some will ask you have English, Maths & Biology or a science subject where others won't ask for all 3 so do your research on these okay and you will at least know what to aim for to get into university.

Any questions then you can PM me anytime and I will try to answer your questions ok. X

Hi! Thankyou so much for your incredible reply, it has helped me so much! I haven’t been able to get the experience from people in the past so this has really helped me :smile: the university im planning on going to offers both Adult nursing and Midwifery degrees (so you can see why I am struggling as I don’t know which to pick first) I will definitely go with the adult nursing first due to it being quite a long process. Is the top-up course classed as post-graduate? I have no clue what I’m doing really so desperate for making myself a quick life-plan (education wise).
Thanks again!
Jess x
Reply 8
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
There are certain combinations of degrees that aren’t allowed due to the amount of crossover in the modules. So once you have a degree in one of them you may not be able to do the other
You need to make sure that nursing and midwifery aren’t one of those combinations, and if they are decide which one you want more.

I didn’t even question this, Thankyou so much for letting me know!
Jess x
Reply 9
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi jess xx

Here's a few things you'll need to do first ok - check with your chosen universities you wishing to attend & study your degree in nursing or midwifing at for there entry requirements for these degrees course's as every university sets there own requirements for these courses and that way you'll know what you need exactly and take it from there ok.

Now here's your problem for wishing to do both ok :- you can't do midwifing first and if you want to be a adult nurse as there's no crossover courses for this. Unlike if you do your adult nursing degree first and qualify in 3 years time then get a job as a nurse on wards etc for to gain some vital experience in nursing and then you can ask your ward manager / sister about applying to do the 20 months shortened top-up degree course for midwifing ( must get permission from your hospital management for to do this ) but only downfall is you got back to university as a student midwife which will mean your nursing registration being suspended during this time by NMC till you pass that shortened course but can apply for it back few months prior of finishing top-up degree course, this stops you working as a nurse till them unfortunately. Something to consider ok.
Also as majority of universities are stopping this shortened top-up course you'll need to perhaps have to do the whole 3 years degree course for midwifing to be one but check with your university on this nearer time.

My suggestion is chose which one you really want to do okay.
Basically if you want to be a midwife then go and apply for this course and it's similar if you want to be a adult nurse.
As said above on doing both then you'll need adult nursing first before doing midwifing. Or alternative is do 3 years degree course for both but you do need to find jobs in both fields and complete required hours per year under the NMC regulations for dual courses.

I'm a registered midwife .

Hi, Thankyou so much for this information! I am extremely grateful :smile:
I have one more question about this though, if I am qualified in adult nursing and midwifery, would hospitals ask for me to do different jobs in the wards or would I have to work as a specific profession within a contract?
I hope this makes sense as I struggle to position my words!
Thanks again
Jess x
Reply 10
I have one more question about this though, if I am qualified in adult nursing and midwifery, would hospitals ask for me to do different jobs in the wards or would I have to work as a specific profession within a contract?
Thanks again
Jess x

You'd be employed as either a nurse or a midwife at any given time, however, you could choose to do bank shifts which would allow you to do either nursing or midwifery shifts in your spare time as long as you kept up your registration. (In case you're not aware what I mean by 'bank' work, it is essentially a system that allows you to work one-time shifts to cover for another employee/make up staff numbers when a department needs additional staff for a shift. So for example, you could be employed full-time as a midwife, but do some nursing shifts as and when a nurse is needed for cover.)

Bank work in another field is a good way of keeping up a dual registration, as the NMC requires you to do a set number of hours (not very many in total tbh) in each role you wish to be registered in. So for example, if you want to renew your registration as both a nurse and a midwife, you'll need to have completed 450 hours as a nurse and 450 hours as a midwife in the three years since you last renewed your registration in order to revalidate it. It's explained in more detail here - http://revalidation.nmc.org.uk/what-you-need-to-do/practice-hours/index.html

Hope that helps!
Hi! Thankyou so much for your incredible reply, it has helped me so much! I haven’t been able to get the experience from people in the past so this has really helped me :smile: the university im planning on going to offers both Adult nursing and Midwifery degrees (so you can see why I am struggling as I don’t know which to pick first) I will definitely go with the adult nursing first due to it being quite a long process. Is the top-up course classed as post-graduate? I have no clue what I’m doing really so desperate for making myself a quick life-plan (education wise).
Thanks again!
Jess x

Jess
Yes it post graduate course okay x
Thanks again
Jess x

When you qualify as a adult nurse first then you'll find a job position somewhere you want to work in and if successful you'll sign a contract prior to starting. ( for example say you want to work on general surgery ward then you'll work on that area where you enhance your experience in ) . It's similar to midwifery as you either want to do deliver/labour side or on ward looking after woman & babies ). Or at worse working as either out in the community.
Anyway any questions PM me ok.
Thanks again!
Jess x

@jessb0070

Hi Jess
You most welcome on the reply I gave to you.
I honestly think that doing adult nursing first will benefit you and then go and do your midwifery course and be dual nurse. But if you only want to be a midwife then concertrate things on that area.

If I can help you with anything kindly PM me and I will do my very best to assist you okay.
Reply 14
Original post by Allyson2020
@jessb0070

Hi Jess
You most welcome on the reply I gave to you.
I honestly think that doing adult nursing first will benefit you and then go and do your midwifery course and be dual nurse. But if you only want to be a midwife then concertrate things on that area.

If I can help you with anything kindly PM me and I will do my very best to assist you okay.

Thankyou so much, i appreciate everything you have told me!
jess x
Reply 15
Hi Jess,

I do midwifery and I did a BTEC Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care. Nursing and Midwifery are very different fields, so I would try and get experience in both fields and decide which one you prefer, but you can become a midwife after nursing if that's the path you want to pursue :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Thankyou so much, i appreciate everything you have told me!
jess x

Oh that's nice of you appreciating the things I told you x
Don't be afraid of PM message me ok as I will give you as much advise I can on this but it upto you ok x
Allyson x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending