The Student Room Group

Has anyone invested in the stock market or any cryptocurrency

16 years old - wanna invest £50.

Please share experiences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by val7322

Please share experiences

Sadly you legally cant invest in the UK until 18, due to being a part owner of a business. It is really annoying, my last few predictions on the stock market have been accurate and I would have turned my £200 from 2019 into £800 by now. You also cant invest in crypto for legal reasons too.
Reply 2
Original post by archie1099
Sadly you legally cant invest in the UK until 18, due to being a part owner of a business. It is really annoying, my last few predictions on the stock market have been accurate and I would have turned my £200 from 2019 into £800 by now. You also cant invest in crypto for legal reasons too.

ahhhhhh. I've just researshed and you can invest in Junior stocks. You can also invest in crypto at 16
I think the word ‘invest’ is doing a lot of heavy lifting with regards to crypto.
Original post by archie1099

You can definitely buy stocks in the UK before age 18, as to whether you should when you lack experience and have only £50 is another discussion.
You can but good luck finding a place which will allow you to withdraw from your account, or even purchase more than £5 worth without ID.

(invest in crypto - TSR must have bugged out and removed the quote)
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm mainly invested in index funds using vanguard platform. It's only recently that I have started investing in crypto currently holding XRP/ETH/BTC which has been quite a rollercoaster considering recent market trends. I put in about £50 in crypto monthly.
Reply 7
Original post by V℮rsions
You can but good luck finding a place which will allow you to withdraw from your account, or even purchase more than £5 worth without ID.

(invest in crypto - TSR must have bugged out and removed the quote)

you never know maybe i will
Original post by val7322
you never know maybe i will

:dontknow: mebbe
Reply 9
Original post by Black Cat
I'm mainly invested in index funds using vanguard platform. It's only recently that I have started investing in crypto currently holding XRP/ETH/BTC which has been quite a rollercoaster considering recent market trends. I put in about £50 in crypto monthly.

I'm all about ADA and DOGE. Certainly is a rollercoaster. Just so annoying the way everything tends to follow BTC. BTC energy consumption crashes BTC which then crashes coins with no such issues. Hopefully the market will mature beyond this soon.

(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Doge-4
I'm all about ADA and DOGE. Certainly is a rollercoaster. Just so annoying the way everything tends to follow BTC. BTC energy consumption crashes BTC which then crashes coins with no such issues. Hopefully the market will mature beyond this soon.

oooo thanks
Original post by val7322

Please share experiences

Not really enough to do anything with, if you don't mind possibly losing it then you can chuck it at cryptos. Else, set up an S&S ISA for yourself (if you can, not sure if 16 year olds can) and put it in some index funds like Vanguard Global All Cap
I'd expect £50 to get chewed up in transaction fees tbh, It's not really an investment, it's barely a round of drinks.
Original post by anonuser99
Not really enough to do anything with, if you don't mind possibly losing it then you can chuck it at cryptos. Else, set up an S&S ISA for yourself (if you can, not sure if 16 year olds can) and put it in some index funds like Vanguard Global All Cap

You can have a JISA at 16 but you won't be able to get the money out till 18
Reply 14
Im disheatened by a lot of the sentiments on here. You guys are predominantly young and members of a generation that it relativley impoversished compared to the generations that have come before. The baby boomers control most of the wealth right now and crypto is shifting that wealth into the hands of millenials. So many on here are just parroting what the legacy media is telling them about crypto. Has there at any point up to now been a time when listening to them would have been the best move? They were telling you not to invest in bitcoiun back whenm it was at £5. You need to understand that the legacy media is part of the establishment and that crypto is a threat to that establishment. They have their agenda. But why is that your agenda? Their anti crypto agenda comes from their position. They stand to lose from it. But you stand to gain. Are you not annoyed with them for telling you not to invest back when bitcoin was at £300? Youd have made a lot of money were it not for their bad advice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Doge-5
Im disheatened by a lot of the sentiments on here. You guys are predominantly young and members of a generation that it relativley impoversished compared to the generations that have come before. The baby boomers control most of the wealth right now and crypto is shifting that wealth into the hands of millenials. So many on here are just parroting what the legacy media is telling them about crypto. Has there at any point up to now been a time when listening to them would have been the best move? They were telling you not to invest in bitcoiun back whenm it was at £5. You need to understand that the legacy media is part of the establishment and that crypto is a threat to that establishment. They have their agenda. But why is that your agenda? Their anti crypto agenda comes from their position. They stand to lose from it. But you stand to gain. Are you not annoyed with them for telling you not to invest back when bitcoin was at £300? Youd have made a lot of money were it not for their bad advice.

Dude I'm all in on crypto, I'm just saying that £50 isn't gonna do much and you may as well spend it on sweets. The sentiment from OP is good though.

Anyway OP, there are 2 sides to this coin. With all investment you should never listen to people who say "bUt BItCoiN wAs £5 OnCE" like the guy above and you also shouldn't listen to the people who say "it's all a scam". Both these groups have their own agendas. You should make an informed and educated decision based on what's best for you.

If you don't mind possibly losing this money then by all means YOLO it on crypto (as crypto is, and has always been, a high risk investment). Never invest what you cannot lose.
Original post by Doge-5

One man is directly influencing the price of several cryptocurrencies to alarming effect. The establishment is one thing, but that's slightly concerning.
Reply 17
Original post by Doge-5

yeah I'm thinking about investing in doge coin because its only 22p, and its slowly rising, so i think in the next 10 years it would be a very good investment
I invested £200 in DOGE and came away with about £1500, but I'd honestly advise against it.
Reply 19
Original post by Vapordave
One man is directly influencing the price of several cryptocurrencies to alarming effect. The establishment is one thing, but that's slightly concerning.

He's telling you what he's going to do though..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending