The Student Room Group

doing EPQ instead of A-level subject

I am currently doing bio, phy, chem and math and am considering dropping physics which is something I struggle with, and replacing it with an EPQ. As someone who's looking to get into a good medical school will this impact my chances of admission?
Original post by 20chowac20
I am currently doing bio, phy, chem and math and am considering dropping physics which is something I struggle with, and replacing it with an EPQ. As someone who's looking to get into a good medical school will this impact my chances of admission?

For any course at any university, having 3 very good A Level grades is much better than having 4 decent ones.
An EPQ might provide you with some useful research skills that may help you at university (regardless of the course).
This thread details university's attitudes towards the EPQ in general:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332

For medical schools specifically, a range of factors affect your changes as there are multiple separate elements to your application. I would say the EPQ is a less influential factor compared to perhaps your work experience or test scores.
Reply 2
I know people who study 3 subjects and do an EPQ and it’s worked really well in their favour when applying to unis, as even the really good unis offered reduced offers if they do well in their EPQ. So even though it will be a bit of extra work to complete, it could put less pressure on doing as well in exams which they’ve found very relieving! And the EPQ offers an opportunity to further show your enthusiasm for a given subject area as you can go above and beyond the curriculum which will of course be appealing to unis :smile: Plus it seems more beneficial to spend time on an EPQ than in physics which isn’t exactly important for medical careers!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 04MR17
For any course at any university, having 3 very good A Level grades is much better than having 4 decent ones.
An EPQ might provide you with some useful research skills that may help you at university (regardless of the course).
This thread details university's attitudes towards the EPQ in general:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6158332

For medical schools specifically, a range of factors affect your changes as there are multiple separate elements to your application. I would say the EPQ is a less influential factor compared to perhaps your work experience or test scores.

Thanks so much for the information! I'm trying to get into nottingham uni so I think UCAT, work experience and the interview stage is probably more significant anyways.
Reply 4
There's an Autumn/winter EPQ submission option (depending on exam board). If you get started this term you could have it finished and with a result before you take your A level exams which takes a bit of pressure off the end of Y13.
Reply 5
Original post by 20chowac20

How are you defining "good", and hence "bad" medical schools??
No med school requires more than 3 A levels, and at only 1 or 2 does it give any benefit at all doing 4.
An EPQ may help with shortlisting at 2 or 3 and lower any offer given at 4 (and they are not the same, so it will help get to interview at different med schools to those where it will lower the offer)

Original post by ..M..
I know people who study 3 subjects and do an EPQ and it’s worked really well in their favour when applying to unis, as even the really good unis offered reduced offers if they do well in their EPQ. So even though it will be a bit of extra work to complete, it could put less pressure on doing as well in exams which they’ve found very relieving! And the EPQ offers an opportunity to further show your enthusiasm for a given subject area as you can go above and beyond the curriculum which will of course be appealing to unis :smile: Plus it seems more beneficial to spend time on an EPQ than in physics which isn’t exactly important for medical careers!

Very few unis will show any consideration to an EPQ for medicine and it only reduces grades at 4. It can be useful to discuss at interview.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GANFYD
How are you defining "good", and hence "bad" medical schools??
No med school requires more than 3 A levels, and at only 1 or 2 does it give any benefit at all doing 4.
An EPQ may help with shortlisting at 2 or 3 and lower any offer given at 4 (and they are not the same, so it will help get to interview at different med schools to those where it will lower the offer)

Very few unis will show any consideration to an EPQ for medicine and it only reduces grades at 4. It can be useful to discuss at interview.

Ah, I didn’t realise it was different for different subjects, the people I know haven’t applied for medicine :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ..M..
Ah, I didn’t realise it was different for different subjects, the people I know haven’t applied for medicine :smile:

Everything is different for medicine, it is a law unto itself and totally crazy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending