The Student Room Group

Messed up Year 12 end of year mocks

Really messed up in my chemistry mock and I don't know what to do. Everyone else did very well and I really want to do it but I don't want to be the weakness. What can I say to my teacher and what can I do to help myself?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hama31
Really messed up in my chemistry mock and I don't know what to do. Everyone else did very well and I really want to do it but I don't want to be the weakness. What can I say to my teacher and what can I do to help myself?

Don't worry these mocks will really help you to see your strengths and weaknesses. Chemistry is a very hard subject. I recommend you go to your teacher and ask what went wrong, and what can you do specifically to boost your grade, any topics you need help with, resources etc. One person in my class asked to redo her mock and she was able to do that. She simply pinpointed where she went wrong, how to improve her study technique and did another exam. This is an opportunity for you to see how you can improve. Do not feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask your teacher anything. They are there to help you and guide.
Ask your teacher to tell you where your weaknesses lie and try to target them. The main part about doing a subject well is having a passion for it and you have that so its a good start. Focus on revising more consistently and knowing which topics in the spec you don’t know. Do as many past papers as you can and revise key terminology. You still have a year till final exams which is plenty of time to get into a better routine for the second year of content, and perfect the first year content
Reply 3
Original post by Narafah
Don't worry these mocks will really help you to see your strengths and weaknesses. Chemistry is a very hard subject. I recommend you go to your teacher and ask what went wrong, and what can you do specifically to boost your grade, any topics you need help with, resources etc. One person in my class asked to redo her mock and she was able to do that. She simply pinpointed where she went wrong, how to improve her study technique and did another exam. This is an opportunity for you to see how you can improve. Do not feel embarrassed or ashamed to ask your teacher anything. They are there to help you and guide.

Original post by niyam2715
Ask your teacher to tell you where your weaknesses lie and try to target them. The main part about doing a subject well is having a passion for it and you have that so its a good start. Focus on revising more consistently and knowing which topics in the spec you don’t know. Do as many past papers as you can and revise key terminology. You still have a year till final exams which is plenty of time to get into a better routine for the second year of content, and perfect the first year content

Thank you to you both, I really appreciate it. I will talk to my teacher when I see him next week
Original post by Hama31

Don't worry at all! I failed my year 12 mocks lol, but I passed my actual a levels and got into uni.
Mocks are basically just a practise so you can see where you need to improve - talk to your teacher about your paper and they'll help you out a bit.
You've still got a year until your real exams so don't worry :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lucyyy12
Don't worry at all! I failed my year 12 mocks lol, but I passed my actual a levels and got into uni.
Mocks are basically just a practise so you can see where you need to improve - talk to your teacher about your paper and they'll help you out a bit.
You've still got a year until your real exams so don't worry :smile:

Thank you! Good for you that you passed your actual A-levels too!
Reply 6
Original post by rahman123100
e.g

would they use the november 2020 a level papers for the mock year 12 exams?

we did the 2019 papers for chemistry and 2018 paper for maths. idk about the other subjects because I do physics
Original post by Hama31
we did the 2019 papers for chemistry and 2018 paper for maths. idk about the other subjects because I do physics

I did not do any end of year 12 mocks cuz of covid but the first ever assessment we did in year 13 (well it was meant to be a mock but they scrapped it from the mock list last minute cuz the paper had stuff we had not covered yet lol).

We did the 2018 papers as well, I guess they use the oldest papers first but my school usually create the assessments themselves
Reply 8
Original post by CurryCurry2468
I did not do any end of year 12 mocks cuz of covid but the first ever assessment we did in year 13 (well it was meant to be a mock but they scrapped it from the mock list last minute cuz the paper had stuff we had not covered yet lol).

We did the 2018 papers as well, I guess they use the oldest papers first but my school usually create the assessments themselves

Yeah same with mine. They usually get a bunch of random questions then put them together
Original post by Hama31

I don't personally take Chemistry but i was struggling in another one of my subjects and sat down after sixth form and spoke to my teacher about it. All you need to do is ask them to keep pushing you and ask for extra essays that you can complete on the side to show your determination. Also, just study. I know it can be boring and hard work, but trust me, it'll pay off.
Reply 10
Original post by Paris.121
I don't personally take Chemistry but i was struggling in another one of my subjects and sat down after sixth form and spoke to my teacher about it. All you need to do is ask them to keep pushing you and ask for extra essays that you can complete on the side to show your determination. Also, just study. I know it can be boring and hard work, but trust me, it'll pay off.

Yeah I really want my teacher to know that I am trying. I've been improving all year and for him to see me just flop this test still makes me feel kinda sad because everyone else did so much better compared to me. But hopefully it can motivate me further. I'm gonna speak to him when I can. Thank you for your help :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
has anyone done the Edexcel chemistry AS level paper 1?
Reply 12
Original post by Gracie.xx17
has anyone done the Edexcel chemistry AS level paper 1?

I do AQA sorry
has anyone done as sociology 2019 aqa
has anyone done the Edexcel 2019 AS level chemistry paper 1?
Original post by Hama31
Yeah I really want my teacher to know that I am trying. I've been improving all year and for him to see me just flop this test still makes me feel kinda sad because everyone else did so much better compared to me. But hopefully it can motivate me further. I'm gonna speak to him when I can. Thank you for your help :smile:

I'm in the exact situation as you, I got my Year 12 Mocks back last week, and did soo bad in all of them, everyone in all my classes got really good grades, I'm afraid that they would predict me bad grades for the ucas applications, I now what went wrong though ; I should have put more time into revision and should have done practise questions / essays.
Reply 16
Original post by freads92
I'm in the exact situation as you, I got my Year 12 Mocks back last week, and did soo bad in all of them, everyone in all my classes got really good grades, I'm afraid that they would predict me bad grades for the ucas applications, I now what went wrong though ; I should have put more time into revision and should have done practise questions / essays.

Have you spoken to your teachers about it? What did they say?
Original post by Hama31

I did, they gave me verbal feedback and told me what I should, for one of my subjects, my teacher is providing me with a list of exam style questions to do at home under timed conditions to practise time management, and for another subject, my teacher is meeting up with me weekly during breaktimes to go over some stuff on a big unit that I struggle with.
Original post by Hama31

Unlucky bro
But, you should have revised harder; if everyone else did 'well' then, they clearly prepared better; take this as a bitter pill and work harder
Out work your competition next time
Original post by Hama31

bro i sent u a private msg check it

Quick Reply

Latest