The Student Room Group

archaeologist DEGREE

Does anyone have any infomation on the Archeology degree and what it's all about?
Is this degree worth doing or should I choose a different one ?
Is applications popular for this subject; is it a competitive application?

What are your suggestions about this course, also whats your best and worse experiences
I don't think archaeology is an enormously popular subject. People tend to do it because they really enjoy the subject matter, rather than because it's seen as prestigious or something that will earn them a lot of money. Whether any degree is "worth" doing is a very subjective question; what is worth doing for one person might not be for another.

The first thing you should do is actually spend some time exploring what the degree is about and what you might learn on it, to figure out if you're even interested in that.
Original post by billsj
Does anyone have any infomation on the Archeology degree and what it's all about?
Is this degree worth doing or should I choose a different one ?
Is applications popular for this subject; is it a competitive application?

What are your suggestions about this course, also whats your best and worse experiences

To add to what @artful_lounger has said, what are your interests in archaeology? I did Egyptology/archaeology and can answer your questions, but it would be useful to know your motivations and specific periodic interests.
Reply 3
im more into the historic conflicts WW2/WW1 Battle of the roman empire,Physiratic equipment.

Imrthinking of archeology or nursing degree.

I'm scared with archeology, if its worth it. due to lower in paying jobs/increase in unemployment
and the slow average wage of 20 grand
Original post by billsj
im more into the historic conflicts WW2/WW1 Battle of the roman empire,Physiratic equipment.

Imrthinking of archeology or nursing degree.

I'm scared with archeology, if its worth it. due to lower in paying jobs/increase in unemployment
and the slow average wage of 20 grand

Do you know what you want to do as a career? If you want to do something health related, do nursing. If you are truly passionate about archaeology, then you could do it, but you will have to put in effort by getting dig experience etc (often offered by your course) to get a career in the field. You can do other work experience etc as you go along to make yourself employable in other fields, and also emphasise your transferrable skills etc. The wages are low and people do it for their passion more than anything, but it is a rewarding career if you can get into the field.
Reply 5
i want to have more than one career route.
i might do a nursing degree first then join the navy when 30 maybe to this degree. u never know
Original post by billsj
i want to have more than one career route.
i might do a nursing degree first then join the navy when 30 maybe to this degree. u never know

Well I suppose getting a stable career first like Nursing, then joining the Navy as a nurse upon graduation, then you can do this. Once you have savings you can study archaeology after leaving the Navy, perhaps.
Reply 7
its more a side hobby archaeology
i wish i could do nursing and archeology together I ain't that smart with a average 107 IQ XD
Original post by billsj
its more a side hobby archaeology
i wish i could do nursing and archeology together I ain't that smart with a average 107 IQ XD

I mean, you could do a nursing degree and do continuing education courses in archaeology in your free time?
Reply 9
how would i do that ? would I even have any free time with this degree
Original post by billsj
how would i do that ? would I even have any free time with this degree

It would be hard, but you could attend some Zoom lectures or something. I know medical students who did language courses on the side etc. If you can manage your time well or find a good course, it's possible, but hard. If not, wait until you start your career, and keep up your passion by reading, listening to podcasts etc.
Reply 11
whats yoru qualifications anyways
Original post by billsj
whats yoru qualifications anyways

I have a BA and will shortly also have an MPhil in Egyptology/archaeology.
If your passion is healthcare, you can always do archaeology later in life, a lot of people do an archaeology degree / qualification later in life. On my masters I had one person who turned 80 (yes really) during the course.

Go with what you are passionate about :smile: as for finding archaeology things to do during a nursing degree; join your uni’s archaeology society or go to online lectures / courses. there’s a lot you can do if you just want to learn archaeology as a hobby :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by oliviamkc
If your passion is healthcare, you can always do archaeology later in life, a lot of people do an archaeology degree / qualification later in life. On my masters I had one person who turned 80 (yes really) during the course.

Go with what you are passionate about :smile: as for finding archaeology things to do during a nursing degree; join your uni’s archaeology society or go to online lectures / courses. there’s a lot you can do if you just want to learn archaeology as a hobby :smile:

I know all societys are different prices. but how much were society when u did your degree? or are they free to join
Original post by billsj
I know all societys are different prices. but how much were society when u did your degree? or are they free to join

So at my University, i was on the committee and the price was 5 pound for the year, with like ''major' events like balls or anything requiring a lot of funding was extra on top (normally 10 pounds per event). Due to COVID, all societies became free I believe - so varies.
You can have a look at each universities archaeology society on their SU webpage.

As for more professional societies like NAS (Nautical Archaeology Society) they have a student membership price, IIRC :smile:. Same with some other societies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending