The Student Room Group

Should I retake year 12?

Hi everyone so I have my year 12 mocks coming up and I'm feeling okay about them but recently I've been contemplating retaking year 12. Covid impacted by learning quite a bit at the beginning of the year and so I've just been weighing up some pros and cons and would like someone's input.

It would be a good opportunity for me to save more money at home and if I retook year 12 and I would be able to drop Psychology and do English Lit which is what I'm now considering studying at university. For the university that I'm interested in applying I don't think they mind if someone retakes the year however I'm unsure as to any other cons.
Hey , my college did AS levels which i did shocking in ( E's) so i had to redo the year and i also changed one of my subjects to politics as i thought i would enjoy it - i do and i'm taking it at uni. i was worried that doing bad in my exams and retaking the year would impact my university application but it did not at all. I got offers to all of my unis ( 3 being russel group) and even reduced offers, one university i applied to was AAA and they gave me an offer of BBB. In my case they definitely prioritised expected grades over exams.

I'm glad i took the subject i'm going to do at uni because i feel more confident about the subject but if you didn't then i don't think it'd make much difference. Its definitely difficult to choose but for me personally it worked out for the best 100% :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mrkrabs19
Hey , my college did AS levels which i did shocking in ( E's) so i had to redo the year and i also changed one of my subjects to politics as i thought i would enjoy it - i do and i'm taking it at uni. i was worried that doing bad in my exams and retaking the year would impact my university application but it did not at all. I got offers to all of my unis ( 3 being russel group) and even reduced offers, one university i applied to was AAA and they gave me an offer of BBB. In my case they definitely prioritised expected grades over exams.

I'm glad i took the subject i'm going to do at uni because i feel more confident about the subject but if you didn't then i don't think it'd make much difference. Its definitely difficult to choose but for me personally it worked out for the best 100% :smile:

Wow that's amazing thank you so much for sharing your story with me! I'm currently doing Biology and Chemistry and I'm not doing great in Chemistry so like you I feel like re-doing year 12 would make me way more confident.
As well as this, I would get to take English Lit which is where I think my passion lies. It's amazing that re-doing year 12 didn't have an impact on Russel Group universities which is what I was a bit worried about.
Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Original post by Jaz._bg
Wow that's amazing thank you so much for sharing your story with me! I'm currently doing Biology and Chemistry and I'm not doing great in Chemistry so like you I feel like re-doing year 12 would make me way more confident.
As well as this, I would get to take English Lit which is where I think my passion lies. It's amazing that re-doing year 12 didn't have an impact on Russel Group universities which is what I was a bit worried about.
Thank you so much for your help :smile:

Hi ! I m in the same situation aha. What unis are you looking at and what course do you want to do?
Reply 4
Original post by Jaz._bg
Hi everyone so I have my year 12 mocks coming up and I'm feeling okay about them but recently I've been contemplating retaking year 12. Covid impacted by learning quite a bit at the beginning of the year and so I've just been weighing up some pros and cons and would like someone's input.

It would be a good opportunity for me to save more money at home and if I retook year 12 and I would be able to drop Psychology and do English Lit which is what I'm now considering studying at university. For the university that I'm interested in applying I don't think they mind if someone retakes the year however I'm unsure as to any other cons.

Honestly, as long as your parents are up for it, I would retake. I considered it and picked not to, which I regret now. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a social group in the lower year? I didn't and it really put me off. A person I know did year 12 again, and it was a good decision for him as he switched his subjects. You have to make the choice in the end but honestly, I would go for it. Loads of people take gap years, so unis don't care if you're a year older :smile:. It also gives you extra time as an adult in your home town. I'm going to be only just 18 in my first year of uni, and I'm not looking forward to it lmao
Reply 5
Original post by mmp123
Honestly, as long as your parents are up for it, I would retake. I considered it and picked not to, which I regret now. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a social group in the lower year? I didn't and it really put me off. A person I know did year 12 again, and it was a good decision for him as he switched his subjects. You have to make the choice in the end but honestly, I would go for it. Loads of people take gap years, so unis don't care if you're a year older :smile:. It also gives you extra time as an adult in your home town. I'm going to be only just 18 in my first year of uni, and I'm not looking forward to it lmao

Yes I mentioned it to my parents and honestly they seem on board with it. There aren't really any cons for me as it's obviously more time spent at home with them as the universities I'm considering are quite far away from home and it means that I can stay at my part-time job and earn more money before going to university.

I don't have a friendship group in the year below however I know some people and am friendly with them but at the same time I don't mind being by myself as all of my friends took different A-levels to me anyways! That's good to hear about the person you know, everyone who's mentioned that they retook year 12 always sounds very positive so that's really nice.

Good luck at your university! I'm sure it'll be okay for you! What are you going to be studying? :smile:
Original post by Jaz._bg

Hi! I’m in a similar position and I’m pretty set on redoing Y12 with a completely different set of A-levels. I’ve been really stressed about my situation and have done tonnes of research in my free time. I’ve found that restarting Y12 isn’t looked down on, like redoing Y13 is, and unless you’re applying for competitive degrees in medicine, dentistry, etc restarting year 12 won’t ruin your chances of getting into most universities (including Russel group). As I said most uni’s won’t care but just to be sure I’d suggest emailing any of the universities you’d be interested in going to and making sure.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by iamconfusionnn
Hi! I’m in a similar position and I’m pretty set on redoing Y12 with a completely different set of A-levels. I’ve been really stressed about my situation and have done tonnes of research in my free time. I’ve found that Y12 isn’t looked down on, like redoing Y13 is, and unless you’re applying for competitive degrees in medicine, dentistry, etc restarting year 12 won’t ruin your chances of getting into most universities (including Russel group). As I said most uni’s won’t care but just to be sure I’d suggest emailing any of the universities you’d be interested in going to and making sure.

What are you wanting to study at uni?
Original post by xxstudent
What are you wanting to study at uni?

Originally I wanted to do medicine but that dream went down the drain when I received my end of year grades. I’d still love to do it but I doubt I’ll be able to. Currently I’m thinking about doing Accounting and Finance at UOB.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by iamconfusionnn
Hi! I’m in a similar position and I’m pretty set on redoing Y12 with a completely different set of A-levels. I’ve been really stressed about my situation and have done tonnes of research in my free time. I’ve found that Y12 isn’t looked down on, like redoing Y13 is, and unless you’re applying for competitive degrees in medicine, dentistry, etc restarting year 12 won’t ruin your chances of getting into most universities (including Russel group). As I said most uni’s won’t care but just to be sure I’d suggest emailing any of the universities you’d be interested in going to and making sure.

Thank you so much for your help! I hope that you do well in year 12 and enjoy your new A-levels. I'm thinking of doing a course in English Literature and I don't think it's very competitive so hopefully I should be okay but yes I will definitely email to find out more :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest