The Student Room Group

What is the point of sheets?

So for a bed set theres a mattress cover ( that one that you dont wash ), dust-mite cover, that scrunchy one that goes down first and is pulled under the mattress, the thin sheet, and then the comforter/duvet.

The mattress cover is pointless, Ive heard it "protects the mattress" but only some people use it so it cant be that helpful. Dust mite covers keep me from dying so I guess its useful. The scrunchy one needs to go down over the dust mite cover so that you're not sleeping on a waxy sheet. The duvet is what you sleep under when its not steaming hot outside, thats also useful.

But now what on earth is the purpose of that remaining thin sheet that goes under the duvet? You already have the scrunchy one to sleep over and the duvet to sleep under, plus whatever throw blankets you have. It seems like just a way to collect dust, another sheet you have to tuck in when you make your bed in the morning, and another piece of bedding you now need to wash. I seriously dont know anyone who sleeps under it... and really, why would you? Its paper thin -no, not even paper thin-, certainly not going to provide you any warmth.
Perhaps its good in the summertime when its hot out but if you use it as so, you're really just using it as a thin cover.

My bedding is currently in the wash and Im not planning on putting that thin sheet back on my bed unless someone can give me a reason why they're not entirely pointless. Not that Im really expecting to get any proper answers because I dont think any exist.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foxehh
So for a bed set theres a mattress cover ( that one that you dont wash ), dust-mite cover, that scrunchy one that goes down first and is pulled under the mattress, the thin sheet, and then the comforter/duvet.

The mattress cover is pointless, Ive heard it "protects the mattress" but only some people use it so it cant be that helpful. Dust mite covers keep me from dying so I guess its useful. The scrunchy one needs to go down over the dust mite cover so that you're not sleeping on a waxy sheet. The duvet is what you sleep under when its not steaming hot outside, thats also useful.

But now what on earth is the purpose of that remaining thin sheet that goes under the duvet? You already have the scrunchy one to sleep over and the duvet to sleep under, plus whatever throw blankets you have. It seems like just a way to collect dust, another sheet you have to tuck in when you make your bed in the morning, and another piece of bedding you now need to wash. I seriously dont know anyone who sleeps under it... and really, why would you? Its paper thin -no, not even paper thin-, certainly not going to provide you any warmth.
Perhaps its good in the summertime when its hot out but if you use it as so, you're really just using it as a thin cover.

My bedding is currently in the wash and Im not planning on putting that thin sheet back on my bed unless someone can give me a reason why they're not entirely pointless. Not that Im really expecting to get any proper answers because I dont think any exist.

I use a fitted sheet on the bed itself then a duvet on top of me - what is the 'sheet' you are talking about? In the old days, before duvets, people did have a sheet on top then blankets.
The idea is that you leave the dust mite sheet and protector on your bed all the time and just wash them every few months. The fitted sheet is for you to sleep on. It should be cotton which will be more comfortable and soft. This should be changed weekly to maintain good hygiene. The mattress protector is literally to protect the mattress from spills, bodily fluids etc and vice versus if your bed doesn’t belong to you. At university it’s quite likely you’d be sleeping on lots of previous students bodily fluids etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I use a fitted sheet on the bed itself then a duvet on top of me - what is the 'sheet' you are talking about? In the old days, before duvets, people did have a sheet on top then blankets.

Oh? Perhaps its more of an American thing. It is common to have a fitted sheet, flat sheet and then blankets over here.. Im referring to the flat sheet.
The UK is clearly superior if this isnt common over there.
Sheets are much easier to wash than mattresses and duvets, even taken the damn duvet cover off is a chore.
Original post by Foxehh
Oh? Perhaps its more of an American thing. It is common to have a fitted sheet, flat sheet and then blankets over here.. Im referring to the flat sheet.

Oh - everyone I know uses duvets in a duvet cover now. If its very hot I just use the duvet cover on its own.
I just have the thin fitted sheet over the mattress. I know some people use a mattress protector if they rent their room or house so they don't spill anything on the mattress and get charged for it, and cause you don't know who else has slept on it (unless you own the bed). Also it can make the mattress comfier if it's not that soft
Reply 7
Original post by Kelivesy
The idea is that you leave the dust mite sheet and protector on your bed all the time and just wash them every few months. The fitted sheet is for you to sleep on. It should be cotton which will be more comfortable and soft. This should be changed weekly to maintain good hygiene. The mattress protector is literally to protect the mattress from spills, bodily fluids etc and vice versus if your bed doesn’t belong to you. At university it’s quite likely you’d be sleeping on lots of previous students bodily fluids etc.

Yeah I know what all those sheets do and they all have a purpose, I mean the seemingly pointless thin one that goes over the fitted sheet and under the blankets.
I only have an undersheet (that is washed infrequently) and a sheet. None of that other stuff.
Original post by Foxehh
Yeah I know what all those sheets do and they all have a purpose, I mean the seemingly pointless thin one that goes over the fitted sheet and under the blankets.

Think it’s just so you don’t have the coarse blankets directly on your skin. I’ve only ever really seen this on holiday in hotels.
i use a duvet cover as a sleeping bag :emo:
Original post by thereisalightx
I just have the thin fitted sheet over the mattress. I know some people use a mattress protector if they rent their room or house so they don't spill anything on the mattress and get charged for it, and cause you don't know who else has slept on it (unless you own the bed). Also it can make the mattress comfier if it's not that soft

this is it, imo. mattresses are expensive. if you have a child who still wets the bed, you get your period in the middle of the night out of the blue, you spill anything on the mattress or you put it in a rented apartment (in which case you don't know who will come into contact w it, so better be safe rather than sorry), it is v useful to use that first fitted sheet. also, not everyone has a dust-mite cover, and if the scrunchy blanket is of a dark color, it can stain the mattress with time :smile:
Original post by twinklelittlstar
this is it, imo. mattresses are expensive. if you have a child who still wets the bed, you get your period in the middle of the night out of the blue, you spill anything on the mattress or you put it in a rented apartment (in which case you don't know who will come into contact w it, so better be safe rather than sorry), it is v useful to use that first fitted sheet. also, not everyone has a dust-mite cover, and if the scrunchy blanket is of a dark color, it can stain the mattress with time :smile:

Why does it matter if the mattress gets stained?
Original post by Theloniouss

well. all's sunshine and flowers until we're speaking of a juice stain, or worse. that thing will get smelly with time. also, why let it get stained if u can easily avoid it? :h:
I'm currently using a sheet instead of a duvet because it's too hot at night :redface:

Because it looks filthy and unsightly. Not to mention that if a stain is caused by something like urine, it will smell....

Would you really want to be sleeping on a stained mattress if you were renting a room?
Original post by black tea
I'm currently using a sheet instead of a duvet because it's too hot at night :redface:

Because it looks filthy and unsightly. Not to mention that if a stain is caused by something like urine, it will smell....

Would you really want to be sleeping on a stained mattress if you were renting a room?

I wouldn't inspect the mattress because there would be two sheets between me and it.
I wouldn't inspect the mattress because there would be two sheets between me and it.

You would still see it when taking those sheets off to be washed
(edited 2 years ago)
I use an over sheet in the summer when it is too hot for a duvet, fairly common on the continent.
Original post by Foxehh

In the UK it's pretty old fashioned* to have fitted sheet - flat sheet - blanket. The idea of the flat sheet is that you go underneath it and you don't have a scratchy blanket against your skin.

If you have a duvet / comforter then it's just mattress - (fitted) sheet - duvet.

*or military.
I just have a mattress protector and a sheet.
The mattress protector to protect the mattress from all the sweat i generate in the night and the sheet to keep it clean

Quick Reply

Latest