The Student Room Group

will advanced highers help me if I did bad in a higher?

Okay, so this year (S5) has been quite a rough year, I've been in and out of school and not really paying attention and only just put in revision/effort 3 weeks before the exams

I got ABBC in my highers

(maths, physics, computing, english in there respective order)

Since I got a C in english I'm really annoyed because I don't think I'm going to be able to get into a university with it (minimum is ABBB). Since I got a C in english will a advanced higher overwrite this, I'm taking advanced higher maths, physics and computing but thinking off dropping computing for a higher because of the C in english.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by andrew1337
Okay, so this year (S5) has been quite a rough year, I've been in and out of school and not really paying attention and only just put in revision/effort 3 weeks before the exams

I got ABBC in my highers

Since I got a C in english I'm really annoyed because I don't think I'm going to be able to get into a university with it (minimum is ABBB). Since I got a C in english will a advanced higher overwrite this, I'm taking advanced higher maths, physics and computing but thinking off dropping computing for a higher because of the C in english.

Yes, so from what I know that if you done bad in 1 subject at higher and decided to take that same subject again at advanced higher and you done far better in the advanced higher then the univeristy will look at the advanced higher because advanced higher is more difficult than higher. Also, if you get a C at higher you might not be able to do advanced higher english since some schools require you to get A or B at higher to take advanced higher. But you should ask your teacher as well.
Reply 2
It depends honestly, some universities dislike advanced Higher’s and prefer Higher's but others don’t really care, however unless your going for Edinburgh or st Andrews’s possibly glasgow most unis prefer Higher’s if they only specify Higher’s on their entry requirements. I would email the unis you are looking to apply and ask if they prefer AH. It also depends on what course you are doing
(edited 2 years ago)
It looks like you have only done 4 Highers in S5, did you drop one? Speak to the admissions departments of the Uni/courses you are interested in to find out if you need better than a C at English and if AH English or a different crash higher would be better, also speak to them about applying with 4 Highers in S5 and what they would look for in S6.

I did ok in Higher English but there is no way I would attempt an AH as it is a lot of reading/work. Our schools AH English class started just over a week ago and already nearly 1/2 the pupils have dropped out of it and taken a crash higher instead. If you got a C going into AH English is a big jump, our school would strongly advise against anyone with a C going to any AH.
Reply 4
If you achieved a better grade in an AH than at Higher unis will look at your AH grade. Although, since (I'm assuming) you only studied four Highers this year I'd say the better option would be to take a crash Higher instead of AH Computing. I'm pretty sure that you could resit Higher English too if that C is bothering you, you will almost definitely get a better grade the second time around (Although some universities don't accept resits).
Original post by andrew1337

I got ABBC in my highers

Hey @andrew1337 - just to echo some of what's already been said here, I really think you should reach out directly to universities to see what their stance is on Advanced Highers. We all have different admissions policies and may consider your grades in different ways, so there isn't one size fits all here. The only way to know for sure what you might be looking at achieving in S6 is by talking to the unis themselves and they'll be happy to clarify :smile:

Hope that helps a bit!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending