The Student Room Group

Am I diabetic

I’m a bit worried
Since yesterday I’ve been feeling excessively thirsty
I drank so much water as well as green tea and hot water and lemon
And today I’m still thirsty and feel the need to drink lots of water
I checked my blood sugar levels using a glucose meter and it came as 5 mmol which is normal
TMI but I’ve been constipated since a few days
And the day it began I was getting pains in my stomach and today, I’m just bloated and haven’t gone to the toilet apart from peeing
I’m worried it’s diabetes because I’m overweight and my grandma has it
But I’ve been exercising and eating I’m a calorie deficit eating a more balanced diet
I just wanted to ask for advice before I call the doctors and worry even more
Reply 1
If your blood sugar is 5, the symptoms you are having are not due to diabetes. However, that does not necessarily mean you don't have diabetes. You should speak to your GP if you are worried.
Reply 2
Original post by volka
If your blood sugar is 5, the symptoms you are having are not due to diabetes. However, that does not necessarily mean you don't have diabetes. You should speak to your GP if you are worried.

So even if my blood sugar levels were normal, it doesn’t indicate whether I have diabetes or not?
Reply 3
Sounds like you just got a bit dehydrated, drank too much water and now you're feeling the results of that. Dehydration can cause stomach pains and drinking too much water can make you feel a bit bloated.
See how you feel in a few days and if it continues then it wouldnt be a bad idea to call up your GP. But just from what you've posted here I wouldnt flock immediately to the conclusion that its diabetes...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Foxehh
Sounds like you just got a bit dehydrated, drank too much water and now you're feeling the results of that ( needing to pee... ).
Dehydration can cause stomach pains and drinking too much water can make you feel a bit bloated.
See how you feel in a few days and if it continues then it wouldnt be a bad idea to call up your GP. But just from what you've posted here I wouldnt flock to the conclusion that its diabetes...

Makes sense, because a few days ago I barely drank any water nor did I eat enough and I think that’s why I was constipated
I hope it is dehydration but I’ve been drinking so much water and I feel the same
But then again, I haven’t passed stools
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Makes sense, because a few days ago I barely drank any water nor did I eat enough and I think that’s why I was constipated
I hope it is dehydration but I’ve been drinking so much water and I feel the same
But then again, I haven’t passed stools

Thats probably it then.
Drink it slowly in tiny sips or it'll just pass right through you. Guzzling it will make you feel worse.
Your GP is the one you should be asking this, not random people on the internet.
Reply 7
So even if my blood sugar levels were normal, it doesn’t indicate whether I have diabetes or not?

You could potentially have type 2 diabetes/pre-diabetes, which can't always be diagnosed on the basis of one blood sample.
It might be more useful to get a couple over the course of a day for a few days, check out what sort of range you're dealing with.

You'd be best asking your gp though or can even just visit a walk in centre, they can perform the proper tests to be able to definitively tell you whether you have it or not, especially as you have family history. It'll either put your mind at rest or if you did have it you're best knowing and being able to take steps to keep it under control, the earlier and better you do so the fewer health problems you'll have to deal with down the road.
Reply 9
Original post by volka
You could potentially have type 2 diabetes/pre-diabetes, which can't always be diagnosed on the basis of one blood sample.

The doctors would most likely give me a blood test to check my blood glucose levels when fasting
I honestly hope it’s not that
I’ve been exercising and eating better but I’m still getting so many health problems
It could be because of being constipated but I’m not sure anymore
The best and only way to know for sure that you have or not have diabetes is to go and see your doctor who'll check things over for you.Many things can be related to diabetes but till you tested by your GP then you don't know what the problem is with you.Your blood sugar levels are 5 you said so I would say that you fine but on border line of perhaps getting diabetes....Below are the recommendations of what is classed as diabetes and this is how doctors & nurses calculate things.I'm a NHS registered adult nurse and midwife , I am use to testing patients for this especially woman in pregnancy .
( Understanding blood glucose level ranges can be a key part of diabetes self-management.
This page states ‘normal’ blood sugar ranges and blood sugar ranges for adults and children with type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and blood sugar ranges to determine people with diabetes.
If a person with diabetes has a meter, test strips and is testing, it’s important to know what the blood glucose level means.
Recommended blood glucose levels have a degree of interpretation for every individual and you should discuss this with your healthcare team.
In addition, women may be set target blood sugar levels during pregnancy.
The following ranges are guidelines provided by the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) but each individual’s target range should be agreed by their doctor or diabetic consultant.
Recommended target blood glucose level ranges

The NICE recommended target blood glucose levels are stated below for adults with type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes and children with type 1 diabetes.
In addition, the International Diabetes Federation’s target ranges for people without diabetes.
The table provides general guidance. An individual target set by your healthcare team is the one you should aim for

NICE recommended target blood glucose level rangesTarget Levels
by TypeUpon wakingBefore meals
(pre prandial)At least 90 minutes after meals
(post prandial)Non-diabetic*4.0 to 5.9 mmol/Lunder 7.8 mmol/LType 2 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/Lunder 8.5 mmol/LType 1 diabetes5 to 7 mmol/L4 to 7 mmol/L5 to 9 mmol/LChildren w/ type 1 diabetes4 to 7 mmol/L4 to 7 mmol/L5 to 9 mmol/L
*The non-diabetic figures are provided for information but are not part of NICE guidelines

Normal and diabetic blood sugar ranges

For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are as follows:

Between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L (72 to 99 mg/dL) when fasting [361]

Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating

For people with diabetes, blood sugar level targets are as follows:

Before meals : 4 to 7 mmol/L for people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes

After meals : under 9 mmol/L for people with type 1 diabetes and under 8.5mmol/L for people with type 2 diabetes

Blood sugar levels in diagnosing diabetes

The following table lays out criteria for diagnoses of diabetes and prediabetes.

Blood sugar levels in diagnosing diabetesPlasma glucose testNormalPrediabetesDiabetesRandomBelow 11.1 mmol/l
Below 200 mg/dlN/A11.1 mmol/l or more
200 mg/dl or moreFastingBelow 5.5 mmol/l
Below 100 mg/dl5.5 to 6.9 mmol/l
100 to 125 mg/dl7.0 mmol/l or more
126 mg/dl or more2 hour post-prandialBelow 7.8 mmol/l
Below 140 mg/dl7.8 to 11.0 mmol/l
140 to 199 mg/dl11.1 mmol/l or more
200 mg/dl or more

Random plasma glucose test

A blood sample for a random plasma glucose test can be taken at any time. This doesn’t require as much planning and is therefore used in the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes when time is of the essence.

Fasting plasma glucose test

A fasting plasma glucose test is taken after at least eight hours of fasting and is therefore usually taken in the morning.
The NICE guidelines regard a fasting plasma glucose result of 5.5 to 6.9 mmol/l as putting someone at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes, particularly when accompanied by other risk factors for type diabetes. )

Symptoms of type 2 diabetes include needing to pee a lot, feeling thirsty all the time and feeling very tired.Many people have type 2 diabetes without realising. This is because symptoms do not necessarily make you feel unwell.Symptoms of type 2 diabetes include:tongue:eeing more than usual, particularly at nightfeeling thirsty all the timefeeling very tiredlosing weight without trying toitching around your penis or vagina, or repeatedly getting thrushcuts or wounds taking longer to healblurred vision
I’m a bit worried
Since yesterday I’ve been feeling excessively thirsty
I drank so much water as well as green tea and hot water and lemon
And today I’m still thirsty and feel the need to drink lots of water
I checked my blood sugar levels using a glucose meter and it came as 5 mmol which is normal
TMI but I’ve been constipated since a few days
And the day it began I was getting pains in my stomach and today, I’m just bloated and haven’t gone to the toilet apart from peeing
I’m worried it’s diabetes because I’m overweight and my grandma has it
But I’ve been exercising and eating I’m a calorie deficit eating a more balanced diet
I just wanted to ask for advice before I call the doctors and worry even more

maybe you’re overthinking.
usually type one diabetes also has massive weight loss with an increased appetite.
you’d also have blurred vision.
there’s a lot of other pretty serious symptoms that I’m sure you’d know about.

and you said your blood sugar is fine.

don’t worry, the increased thirst is probably the exercise and the hot weather.
Original post by lucyyy12
maybe you’re overthinking.
usually type one diabetes also has massive weight loss with an increased appetite.
you’d also have blurred vision.
there’s a lot of other pretty serious symptoms that I’m sure you’d know about.

and you said your blood sugar is fine.

don’t worry, the increased thirst is probably the exercise and the hot weather.

I just had pins and needles too
I hope it’s just dehydration but I don’t know anymore
I was going to have a blood test on Tuesday regarding my iron and vitamin d deficiency so I might ring up and let my gp know
Reply 13
The doctors would most likely give me a blood test to check my blood glucose levels when fasting

Yes, but they would do other tests if that is abnormal.

I hope this settles down soon and you feel better. You should still talk to your GP if you are concerned about diabetes though.

Quick Reply

Latest