The Student Room Group

A level subject choice to combine with

What A-level subject should I choose to combine with Mathematics, Geography and Computer Science as I have to pick 4 A-level subjects?
(edited 2 years ago)
What do you want to go to University to do?
And don't do 4 A levels.
Original post by mellow2006
What A-level subject should I choose to combine with Mathematics, Geography and Computer Science as I have to pick 4 A-level subjects?

It really depends on what you are planning on doing at university.

Also, why do you have to pick 4 A-Level subjects? Is this something your school does?
Original post by 5hyl33n

Also, why do you have to pick 4 A-Level subjects? Is this something your school does?

Actually, that's a good point. I was aware you can study 3 or 4 subjects, but Unis only need 3.
Original post by NovaeSci
Actually, that's a good point. I was aware you can study 3 or 4 subjects, but Unis only need 3.

Yes, unless OP is taking A-Level Mathematics/A-Level Further Mathematics.
Further Maths
Reply 7
Original post by 5hyl33n

Well, the school I am applying to requires 4 A-level subjects, not 3.

Original post by NovaeSci
What do you want to go to University to do?

I have not decided specifically what I would like to do.
However, I am considering engineering or something from the science field linked to computer science and/or geography.
Likely subject at University?

However, I am considering engineering or something from the science field linked to computer science and/or geography.

I think Physics would be a great choice, if not essential, for engineering.
Chemistry

If you were getting 8s or 9s in gcse maths, further maths would defo help with computer science and engineering.

I'd suggest physics or further maths. You will struggle to get into good engineering or computer science courses with only maths alevel. Almost every single decent engineering course in the UK requires either physics or further maths as well as maths to even be considered.
Even if you don't know what you want to do... they will open up doors and you'll basically be able to do any degree you want(with the exception of like medicine or chemistry).

From what i've heard from about 6 different people... further maths isnt that much content. some of my friends have even called it half an alevel so... if you are good at maths i'd suggest taking it.

Quick Reply

Latest