The Student Room Group

Is there any chance of downgrading this year?

With A-Level results just 2 weeks away, I've started focusing on it a bit more. I was pretty confident at first because I figured all the evidence my teachers have is of a fair standard, so I think my TAGs will be fine. I did start wondering though, is this the full story after what happened last year?

What do we all think? Are TAGs the full story? Will there be any nasty surprises?

This isn't made to worry anyone as it could very well be all there is to it, but I wanted to see the general prediction.
Original post by ashtolga23
With A-Level results just 2 weeks away, I've started focusing on it a bit more. I was pretty confident at first because I figured all the evidence my teachers have is of a fair standard, so I think my TAGs will be fine. I did start wondering though, is this the full story after what happened last year?

What do we all think? Are TAGs the full story? Will there be any nasty surprises?

This isn't made to worry anyone as it could very well be all there is to it, but I wanted to see the general prediction.

I mean I dont think there will be any nasty surprises. This year its entirely evidence based according to my school and as long as schools have been fully transparent about the pieces of evidence they used it should all be good.

The nasty surprises will probs be common in schools who have not been clear about the evidence being used.

Legit I have been so confident for results day until it came to my attention a few days ago that for our TAGs my schools final evidence base for maths was our may mock and a set of papers we did as part of classwork back in November. As a class we performed poorly on those papers back in November.

I hope they did not just take an average from the May mock and those November papers cuz it will be a nasty surprise for me if they do. Before school finished for us back in May, they said it would o ly be the April & May mocks that would be used and if they did change the evidence being used, they would let us know before the submission deadline so we could raise our concerns. They never told us about this
Original post by CurryCurry2468
I mean I dont think there will be any nasty surprises. This year its entirely evidence based according to my school and as long as schools have been fully transparent about the pieces of evidence they used it should all be good.

The nasty surprises will probs be common in schools who have not been clear about the evidence being used.

Legit I have been so confident for results day until it came to my attention a few days ago that for our TAGs my schools final evidence base for maths was our may mock and a set of papers we did as part of classwork back in November. As a class we performed poorly on those papers back in November.

I hope they did not just take an average from the May mock and those November papers cuz it will be a nasty surprise for me if they do. Before school finished for us back in May, they said it would o ly be the April & May mocks that would be used and if they did change the evidence being used, they would let us know before the submission deadline so we could raise our concerns. They never told us about this

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

That's really annoying about your maths! I wonder if you could appeal if anything goes wrong. Not sure what the system for that is going to be to be honest.
Original post by ashtolga23
Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly.

That's really annoying about your maths! I wonder if you could appeal if anything goes wrong. Not sure what the system for that is going to be to be honest.

I checked on the school website and it says if the appeal is about selection of evidence it is a stage 2 appeal which is dealt with by the exam board and idk how long the exam board will take to deal with the appeal so I am just praying the minimum grade I get for maths is a B
I checked on the school website and it says if the appeal is about selection of evidence it is a stage 2 appeal which is dealt with by the exam board and idk how long the exam board will take to deal with the appeal so I am just praying the minimum grade I get for maths is a B

In a normal year they have priority remarks which do come back pretty quickly (in time for you to still go to university in September) so I assume something similar will be the case this year. Do bear in mind if you go down this route your grade could go down, up, or just stay the same.

As for a mass downgrading like the algorithm last year, that’s not going to happen. At least it shouldn’t.

Good luck! I really hope you get what you need.

Quick Reply

Latest