The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lots of potential pembroke applicants, looking forward to seeing you all next year!
Original post by Theloniouss
All colleges operate interviews as they please. Some will interview you as if you were a physical natural sciences applicant (i.e. physics/chemistry/maths questions), some will have ChemEng specific questions, some will let you choose your topics, etc.. The same applies to the number and style of interviews. You might have 1 interview, 2 interviews, 2 interviews split into 2 sections each, or anything other conceivable combination. You'd need to ask the college(s) you intend to apply to.

Hey, I'm just curious, why do people taken natural sciences with intentions of going into chemical engineering when they could go straight into Chem eng
Original post by philip.13o+++++
Hey, I'm just curious, why do people taken natural sciences with intentions of going into chemical engineering when they could go straight into Chem eng

At Cambridge you can't go straight into ChemEng, you either have to do year 1 engineering or year 1 Natural Sciences first, then years 2-4 are ChemEng.
(edited 2 years ago)
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry (Predicted 4 A*s)
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
Engineering because it is a nice mix of maths and physics. I particularly like Cambridge's broad and general course.
3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?
Twelve 9s
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
I prefer Cambridge's approach to the course and I believe it is better at Engineering.
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
ENGAA, which I haven't started preparing for
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
I have done a few engineering FutureLearn courses and virtual work experience programmes at Siemens an Airbus.
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
I would like to work in the automotive industry or perhaps Formula 1
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?
I am currently thinking of Downing College.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Theloniouss
At Cambridge you can't go straight into ChemEng, you either have to do year 1 engineering or year 1 Natural Sciences first, then years 2-4 are ChemEng.

thank you !
Hey all - Gonville and Caius College in Cambridge are running a series of talks over the summer for prospective Medics. The talks include information of personal statements, BMAT prep, and interviews! The best part? They're free to attend and you can watch from your bedroom via zoom. They'll be a really great opportunity to hear directly from students and there will be plenty of time for questions as well. You can sign up at Medsoc.cai.cam.ac.uk

See you there!

Summer talk programme.jpg
Original post by username4492254

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?

1) Chemistry, Biology, Maths
2) Medicine as I want to do something in which science is applied to the real world, and I like the intensive nature of a medical career, and the satisfaction when a patient is happy.
3) 9999999998 - really annoyed with the 8 in English Language, I was 2 marks off a 9, but oh well.
4) Because Oxford don't let you do a cadaver dissection, Cambridge do.
5) BMAT, September and November prep
6) read
7) Become a surgeon
8) Trinity
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Black Sensei
1) What A-Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?

Maths, Economics, Physics, Further Maths and/or EPQ

Economics, I have always been interested in the topic and want to pursue a career there.

998877775D* No retakes

Oxford do not offer Economics as a stand-alone subject, and partly because Cambridge values GCSEs less and my results were not 'amazing' by Oxford's standards.

Pre Interview assessment and perhaps an ECAA/EAT but I'm not entirely sure.

Done a lot of research on Cambridge colleges and the courses they offer

Get a great job in the finance/economics industry

So far St Catharines is my favourite so far due to their great sports facilities and one of the cheaper colleges in terms of living costs.

Hey, I'm also applying for econ! At the moment I'm considering St Catz or Pembrooke's college. Perhaps would you mind sharing what super curricular activities you've done so far? I'm been browsing through thestudentroom to find other students for the Cambridge econ degree :smile:
Reply 588
Original post by sararah04
Hey, I'm also applying for econ! At the moment I'm considering St Catz or Pembrooke's college. Perhaps would you mind sharing what super curricular activities you've done so far? I'm been browsing through thestudentroom to find other students for the Cambridge econ degree :smile:

Hey, I'm hoping to make an application for economics at cambridge too this autumn
Mine have been your relatively generic stuff: courses, talks, reading, an essay comp, an article. What about you?
Original post by Hey17
Hey, I'm hoping to make an application for economics at cambridge too this autumn
Mine have been your relatively generic stuff: courses, talks, reading, an essay comp, an article. What about you?

Great! I hope we both hear good news next January. :smile: Very similar here! I've entered the John Locke Essay Competition and planning to submit for the LSE SU Economics Society one as well. Watched lectures/podcasts, completed a Coursera course, and read around the subject with books, articles, etc. I'm quite concerned about whether these are enough since Cambridge econ is just overly competitive. And by the way, I'm applying from Seoul, South Korea :smile: We could keep in contact if you'd like!
1) Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. AQA Economics. OCR History (4 A* predicted)
2) Mathematics
3) 9999988888 + A in FSMQ, does it even matter that much since these are covid grades?
4) Cambridge's maths course is more what I'm looking for. I think it's better than Oxford's. Also, I've been to Oxford (the city) once and hopefully never again.
5) STEP and an interview admissions test. I have started preparation with many many STEP papers which are getting better and more doable.
6) Absolutely nothing and I regret it. I spent lockdown not only not joining school lessons, but doing nothing in general which meant I didn't have any practice for my mocks and had to cram in about 4 months worth of work in a week and also meant it isn't in my long term memory yet. So I have to work non stop in summer.
7) Ideally, go into Investment banking for a couple of years, at Goldman Sachs, and then go to university in the US, like Stanford or Upenn, and complete an MBA course. Then return to IB before leaving for private equity or initiating a hedge fund.
8) Trinity. Best for maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how much your GCSEs would affect your application. In mine, I got 9999988877 which I was pretty happy with at the time however after reading this thread I am a bit stressed as most people I have seen have got straight 9s. Do you think this would make much difference in my application? (I got 9s in all the subjects I am studying at A level) (sorry if this comes across as whiney, I'm just stressed ah)
Original post by tiredperson
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how much your GCSEs would affect your application. In mine, I got 9999988877 which I was pretty happy with at the time however after reading this thread I am a bit stressed as most people I have seen have got straight 9s. Do you think this would make much difference in my application? (I got 9s in all the subjects I am studying at A level) (sorry if this comes across as whiney, I'm just stressed ah)

I am not the authority, but I can fairly confidently say that your GCSEs are still good for Cambridge, and even if everyone else who applies gets straight 9s, a profile with 2 A's and 8 A*'s will be very unlikely to affect your application badly. Cambridge interviews a large proportion of applicants at which point a good performance there is probably most important, and even before that prioritises A-level scores. Short answer, no.
Original post by DeBeauvoir2
I am not the authority, but I can fairly confidently say that your GCSEs are still good for Cambridge, and even if everyone else who applies gets straight 9s, a profile with 2 A's and 8 A*'s will be very unlikely to affect your application badly. Cambridge interviews a large proportion of applicants at which point a good performance there is probably most important, and even before that prioritises A-level scores. Short answer, no.

thank you!

GCSE’s are just one component. Firstly, OP states they view 9/8 as an A* and 7 as an A. As long as you achieved strong and consistent grades, like you have, it won’t be a dealbreaker. Cambridge tends to interview ~70-80% of it’s candidates since they want to find perfect applicants to give offers to. This is because Cambridge tests students that get an interview in situations where you have to think logically (and differently from how you are taught at school which is typically “learn how to do this for the exam”). In example, in maths you will have to connect numerous topics and concepts to answer one part of a STEP paper.

Regardless, unless you’re doing maths, make sure you have a strong personal statement and it’s also a lot more about the a level grades you’re applying with. Once you get an interview, that will be the dealbreaker on you getting an offer or not.
Hey idk if any of you have any knowledge of this because I know many schools don’t do them anymore. But how much would a B in AS affect your application if you’re dropping it so won’t do A-Level (its in Chem and i want to study English)

I feel just like you, my predicted grades at ALevel are A*A*A* and EPQ A* but I only got 4A* and 3A at GCSE. Like you I got all A* in the subjects I am studying at A-Level but tbh that is the only part of the application I am worried about. Looking at previous statics from FOI requests, the students who got into medicine at Cambridge had at an absolute minimum 4A* and 4A - there are probably a few others with lower GCSE grades but that is the definite minority. It's crazy how GCSEs are the main thing I am worried about when a lot of what you learn in those courses are either built upon at ALevel or you find out is completely wrong. I wouldn't worry about your GCSE, I think I read somewhere that the average acceptance has 7A* at GCSE and you have 8. I have heard a few admissions officers say that they understand that your academic ability may start to increase at different points whether that be during GCSE or at A Level but put it this way, I envy your GCSEs. And anyway, there is nothing you can do about them now, focus on your levels, BMAT and interviews. Good luck :smile:
Geography, Psychology and Spanish (looking to be predicted A*A*A I think)
Law and I rlly like the course at Cambridge as it seems rlly varied and they offer a year abroad in Spain which I'd rlly like to do
I dont like Oxford's course as much as Cambridge's and after doing more research I like the sound of the uni more in general
CLT and I'm gonna start preparing this summer since I need to prepare for the LNAT as well🙃
I did 2 sets of virtual work experience/internships and also took part in the HE+ programme ran by Cambridge as well but I'm gonna read some books over the summer etc too.
I'd rlly like to be a solicitor in London after although I'd be interested in doing other things as well
Most likely Gonville and Caius I think
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by danm26
1) Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. AQA Economics. OCR History (4 A* predicted)
2) Mathematics
3) 9999988888 + A in FSMQ, does it even matter that much since these are covid grades?
4) Cambridge's maths course is more what I'm looking for. I think it's better than Oxford's. Also, I've been to Oxford (the city) once and hopefully never again.
5) STEP and an interview admissions test. I have started preparation with many many STEP papers which are getting better and more doable.
6) Absolutely nothing and I regret it. I spent lockdown not only not joining school lessons, but doing nothing in general which meant I didn't have any practice for my mocks and had to cram in about 4 months worth of work in a week and also meant it isn't in my long term memory yet. So I have to work non stop in summer.
7) Ideally, go into Investment banking for a couple of years, at Goldman Sachs, and then go to university in the US, like Stanford or Upenn, and complete an MBA course. Then return to IB before leaving for private equity or initiating a hedge fund.
8) Trinity. Best for maths.

Ur stats are very good - and it’s very impressive if you said you crammed for only a week!
Heeeyyy everyone

Biology, Chemistry, Maths. I am also taking EPQ but I think I'm going to drop that soon.

Medicineee, I've wanted to be a doctor for a long time, doubted myself recently but I'm back on track.

988888777777 and nope

My GCSEs aren't really good enough for Oxford and I generally prefer Cam as a city. Much prettier in my humble opinion 😂

BMAT (and UCAT for all my other choices). I'm sitting the UCAT at the very start of September so I've just started preparing. I will be sitting the BMAT in November, so will probably start preparing early October after UCAS is submitted and my mocks are done.

I have done Brighton Sussex Medical School virtual work experience, Observe GP, a month long virtual programme with my local trust, working part time for 2 years at a supermarket, further reading books, 2 MOOCs, one on disparities in public health between countries, the other on cancer treatments.

doctor tingz, maybe some research but we shall see.

I am visiting Cambridge next week to hopefully get a feel, even if I can only see the colleges from the street😭. So far I love the look of: Downing, Gonville and Caius, Emmanuel, Selwyn and Corpus Christi. I like the look of trinity and Johns too but I think they're a bit big for my liking.

Latest

Trending

Trending