The Student Room Group

2021 A/AS Results Day Countdown: today is the day - well done everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BluePurpSky
well what does ofqual do in this process and why did it take so long then if they didn't have to amend?

Basically between the time that grades were submitted and some point in mid July, exam boards requested a sample of evidence from schools, not every subject tho, it is basically external quality assurance
Original post by CurryCurry2468
Basically between the time that grades were submitted and some point in mid July, exam boards requested a sample of evidence from schools, not every subject tho, it is basically external quality assurance

what do you mean by not every subject ?

and can ofqual also see a piece of work and think that it was marked too low, and the work was better than the grade submitted by the centre and then bump it up?
Original post by BluePurpSky
what do you mean by not every subject ?

and can ofqual also see a piece of work and think that it was marked too low, and the work was better than the grade submitted by the centre and then bump it up?

For A-Level, the exam board only requests a sample of evidence from 1 subject at the school and I believe its only evidence from 5 students.

Its not Ofqual who do the checks, its the exam boards.
Yes this can happen, the whole point of the external quality assurance checks is to check Teacher judgements are not unduly harsh or lenient although all these checks will already likely have been done internally by the school.
Original post by Hellllpppp
@yippy-yikes
@CurryCurry2468
You’re so lucky that you can get your results in person :colondollar: all I’ve been told is they’re sending us an email in the morning so I’m really hoping the email comes through at 8:30 if not i guess i’ll log into track and hope it is updated.

Dang I'm really sorry, that sounds daunting. Trying to think more positive for you though, at least you're in the comfort of your own home! But yikes, I hope it comes in at 8:30 for you :redface:
Also, 6 days :redface:
Original post by Hellllpppp
@yippy-yikes
@CurryCurry2468
You’re so lucky that you can get your results in person :colondollar: all I’ve been told is they’re sending us an email in the morning so I’m really hoping the email comes through at 8:30 if not i guess i’ll log into track and hope it is updated.

Oh damm, they will probs send the email around 09:00 AM, best of luck to you on your results
How likely do you think grade inflation is going to be this time?
Original post by username1946

I think it is very likely but it won't be as high as it was last year
Original post by username1946

Yeah there is defo gonna be grade inflation, question is how much.

It was entirely evidence based this year however lots of students had access to test material etc.
UCAS track closes at 12:00 right?
Hi everyone! Ofqual made this survey for us to share our experience with the TAG process this year. This is the link if you guys want to fill it out.

https://ofqual.citizenspace.com/public/6b36e360/
Bit late to this thread as its 6 days away but I've only just found it🤷

I did A level Psychology, Biology & Chemistry.

Got a conditional offer (CCC) at Bournemouth University through UCAS Extra for Forensic Investigation starting Sept. '21.

I was predicted AAC but probably won't get that 😅 all I know is that I can't get below a B in psych.

Only found out how my college was doing results day a few days ago and the system we are meant to be getting our results through is currently not working so... I'm nervous about my actual results but also when and how I'll actually get them!

Good luck all!!
Original post by Akash1234567
UCAS track closes at 12:00 right?

Track doesn't close - it is frozen and some of the functionality switched off.
Original post by Unknown1232003
Hi everyone! Ofqual made this survey for us to share our experience with the TAG process this year. This is the link if you guys want to fill it out.

https://ofqual.citizenspace.com/public/6b36e360/

Thanks, I just did the survey myself.
Original post by mjhmichael18
Thanks, I just did the survey myself.

Same
Also, if any of you have changed your contact details since you first used UCAS track then please let UCAS track and your universities know of this. Luckily, this has not happened to me as I never have had to go through a change of phone number or email address but it may have happened to one of you. Also if you have moved house or changed your address recently you also need to let UCAS track and your universities know of that just in case they need to post things to you. Luckily, this has also not happened to me but it may have happened to one of you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Im so anxious about results day. I don't think I'll be getting into my dream uni purely because of how my college went about on assessing us. Do you think unis will be more lenient this year? What should I do if I don't get in?
Original post by ineedhelpsohelp
Im so anxious about results day. I don't think I'll be getting into my dream uni purely because of how my college went about on assessing us. Do you think unis will be more lenient this year? What should I do if I don't get in?

Universities will always be lenient where they can.
Universities will only reject applicants on results day for one of 2 reasons. Either:
- they physically (or staffing wise) can't accommodate all the firm students on the course and so need to reject a certain number of applicants
or
- they know from experience that applicants with those grades are unlikely to succeed on the course

What would you like to do if you don't get in? Are there other universities or courses that have any appeal for you? Or would you prefer to take a gap year and resit and reapply?
Original post by PQ
Universities will always be lenient where they can.
Universities will only reject applicants on results day for one of 2 reasons. Either:
- they physically (or staffing wise) can't accommodate all the firm students on the course and so need to reject a certain number of applicants
or
- they know from experience that applicants with those grades are unlikely to succeed on the course

What would you like to do if you don't get in? Are there other universities or courses that have any appeal for you? Or would you prefer to take a gap year and resit and reapply?

I mean I think I have a fair shot of getting into my insurance but I love my firm uni so much and picked my insurance without really thinking properly. Would you suggest me calling up my firm uni on results day if I do get rejected? I don't think my course is oversubscribed to but there's always that uncertainty.
Original post by Cote1
My daughter is in the situation where she won't get the grades for her firm university, for several reasons.
She doesn't want her insurance choice now. She thinks there is no point resitting the subject she will get the lower grade in as it was a mistake to choose it and she thinks she won't improve the grade.
She doesn't feel ready for university or want to go this year so will reapply next year. This is definitely not an option for everyone but she is going to do an Access to Higher Education course this year, funded due to her age, at her local FE college.
Hopefully, if you don't get in to your firm choice you will have other choices.

A lot of universities accept applicants with lower grades. Hopefully your daughter is one of these (she can always defer if that's the case and she decides she isn't ready to go to university yet :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest