The Student Room Group

when should you start revising for A-levels?

I'm an incoming Year 13 student and I've heard some people say January, but I'm considering starting from the September of Year 13 - do you think this is necessary? would appreciate a response from previous year 13 students! :smile:

bit of background info: I achieved AAA in English Lit, History and Politics for my year 12 mocks
nah you'll just burn out especially if it's structured intense revision
might be worth gently reconsolidating topics from y12, and when you have topic tests make sure your notes and revision for them are in order
Whilst you are still in your mother's womb. That's when everyone on TSR starts.
Reply 3
Original post by Serene Dreams
Whilst you are still in your mother's womb. That's when everyone on TSR starts.

:s-smilie: I believe you're absolutely right!
Original post by savyyyegg
:s-smilie: I believe you're absolutely right!

Now I feel bad for contributing nothing useful. lol. I would say it's a good idea to make this thread so current A-level students can share their thoughts with you. However, don't compare your revision timetable too much to other students' as people retain knowledge and learn at a different pace. Good luck!
I'm an incoming Year 13 student and I've heard some people say January, but I'm considering starting from the September of Year 13 - do you think this is necessary? would appreciate a response from previous year 13 students! :smile:

bit of background info: I achieved AAA in English Lit, History and Politics for my year 12 mocks

Didn’t you ask this earlier
Original post by Serene Dreams
Now I feel bad for contributing nothing useful. lol. I would say it's a good idea to make this thread so current A-level students can share their thoughts with you. However, don't compare your revision timetable too much to other students' as people retain knowledge and learn at a different pace. Good luck!

wise bee:biggrin:
Reply 7

totally unrelated but i'm going into yr13 too and i was wondering how you revised for history and english lit exams
I wouldn't revise intensely throughout, but I'd literally just think about topics and discuss them with people so they're fresh in your mind.
Reply 9
Original post by baekie
totally unrelated but i'm going into yr13 too and i was wondering how you revised for history and english lit

For English Literature, I memorised openers and stock introductions that I could use for any essay question that came up. I also did loads of essay plans for past paper questions I could find online (one of which happened to come up in the exam!). Writing essays can take loads of time, so I would write one really good main body paragraph or an introduction in like 5-8 minutes. Nearer to the exam, you should be writing full essays under timed conditions, though. I do AQA, which does open-book exams. If your exam is open book, make sure you know your texts inside out. One of my biggest regrets was walking into the exam with little knowledge of my texts which meant I wasted so much time trying to find basic quotes in my books or thinking about how to convey the texts' meaning. Also, aim to give relevant alternative interpretations wherever possible - they are key to boosting your marks! Ideally, you should be aiming to satisfy all your AO criteria, so make sure you have a good understanding of each AO, so you know what to include in your exam. It keeps you from waffling and makes your writing more concise: 'Mr Bruff's Guide to A-level English Literature' helps a lot with this!

For History, I did as many essay plans as I could, some of which also came up in my mocks but re-worded. You'll find that a lot of History exam questions are very similar because there's only so much they can ask. Make sure you familiarise yourself with History mark schemes and exemplar answers, so you know what examiners will be looking out for.

Hoped that helped :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
For English Literature, I memorised openers and stock introductions that I could use for any essay question that came up. I also did loads of essay plans for past paper questions I could find online (one of which happened to come up in the exam!). Writing essays can take loads of time, so I would write one really good main body paragraph or an introduction in like 5-8 minutes. Nearer to the exam, you should be writing full essays under timed conditions, though. I do AQA, which does open-book exams. If your exam is open book, make sure you know your texts inside out. One of my biggest regrets was walking into the exam with little knowledge of my texts which meant I wasted so much time trying to find basic quotes in my books or thinking about how to convey the texts' meaning. Also, aim to give relevant alternative interpretations wherever possible - they are key to boosting your marks! Ideally, you should be aiming to satisfy all your AO criteria, so make sure you have a good understanding of each AO, so you know what to include in your exam. It keeps you from waffling and makes your writing more concise: 'Mr Bruff's Guide to A-level English Literature' helps a lot with this!

For History, I did as many essay plans as I could, some of which also came up in my mocks but re-worded. You'll find that a lot of History exam questions are very similar because there's only so much they can ask. Make sure you familiarise yourself with History mark schemes and exemplar answers, so you know what examiners will be looking out for.

thank u so much! ill be sure to utilise this :')
Reply 11

How did you revise for politics? and is your exam board edexcel?
Reply 12
Original post by sadem0
How did you revise for politics? and is your exam board edexcel?

I do Edexcel Politics and I basically did as many essay plans and practise questions I could find. The key is looking at mark schemes and Level 5 exemplar answers, then extracting and implementing top-mark features in your essay practise. 'Alan History Nerd' on Youtube helped a lot with improving my grade from Bs to As! I highly recommend this video as it helped with how to structure 30-mark essays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzBHkzx_nJc&t=1s

Year 13 is like a marathon: you've got to nail the pace. You don't want to burn yourself out before mocks but you also don't want to fall behind. Seeing as you've achieved AAA in your year 12 mocks, it won't be necessary to heavily revise year 12 content until year 13 mocks roll around. Year 13 is intense, and you simply won't have time to constantly revise year 12 content whilst keeping up with new topics and coursework. For now, focus on completing homework on time, revising current topics that you're covering, and completing essays to the best of your ability. It would help to revise quotes for English for a few minutes every day (and maybe cast an eye over any revision notes for history and politics from time to time), but it would be more productive to use additional free time to relax: don't burn yourself out before it matters.
Reply 14
I do Edexcel Politics and I basically did as many essay plans and practise questions I could find. The key is looking at mark schemes and Level 5 exemplar answers, then extracting and implementing top-mark features in your essay practise. 'Alan History Nerd' on Youtube helped a lot with improving my grade from Bs to As! I highly recommend this video as it helped with how to structure 30-mark essays: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzBHkzx_nJc&t=1s

okay thanks!!!
Reply 15
Original post by aconstanthamlet
Year 13 is like a marathon: you've got to nail the pace. You don't want to burn yourself out before mocks but you also don't want to fall behind. Seeing as you've achieved AAA in your year 12 mocks, it won't be necessary to heavily revise year 12 content until year 13 mocks roll around. Year 13 is intense, and you simply won't have time to constantly revise year 12 content whilst keeping up with new topics and coursework. For now, focus on completing homework on time, revising current topics that you're covering, and completing essays to the best of your ability. It would help to revise quotes for English for a few minutes every day (and maybe cast an eye over any revision notes for history and politics from time to time), but it would be more productive to use additional free time to relax: don't burn yourself out before it matters.

Thank you, I'll keep this in mind!! :smile:
Reply 16
I've just finished 6th form and the best advice I could give you that I wish I followed is to do work regularly review it regularly then when it comes to your main revision it'll be more manageable. Don't get lazy with the amount of time you have, you need to do as much as you are able to do, but of course, if you're revising and feel like it's too much have breaks, that way you'll avoid burnout!Also, get ahead of the class in your subjects so when they teach the lesson you can ask questions and it's already extra revision.Moreover do past papers if you can't get a topic, just do questions on it and make notes from the mark schemes on what you're struggling with! Hope this helps

just do regular recaps throughout your year so revising will never be overbearing. My plan this year is to use half terms to intensely revise (like 7hrs a day, as if for exams) then do lowkey recaps through the other weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest