The Student Room Group

year 12 to 13 help

i'm a little stressed cause whilst i managed to pull through (ish) for my end of year exams this year (going into y13 now), i definitely did not do enough revision. i told myself i'd make up for it in the summer but the summer's gone and i've only really focused on one subject because i literally have a retake exam for it in a week, which is when school opens (though even for this i'm still doing extremely late revision and very stressed for it) . do you think it'll be possible to go into year 13 pretty much relearning or at least making efficient notes for all my year 12 content across my 3 subjects, whilst simultaneously keeping up with year 13 stuff and still manage to get all As/A*s? Year 12 went by so quickly and the pandemic pretty much made all my motivation, notes just school in general etc go out the window and I procrastinated really badly, and completely regret this. i also am working on my piano grade 8 right now so quite a lot of my hours are taken away to do that. do i have to sacrifice most of my social life if i want these grades

If you have any tips for this I'd really appreciate it!!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am literally on the same page as you
Told myself I’ll do revision during summer and summer is gone just like that
Also I’ve barely made revisions notes in y12 😭😭😭
In the same boat lol, I dont even know how the summer went by so fast.
Reply 3
Original post by zarahh09
I am literally on the same page as you
Told myself I’ll do revision during summer and summer is gone just like that
Also I’ve barely made revisions notes in y12 😭😭😭

literally bro dk how we're gonna survive this year
Reply 4
Original post by Thestudent107SWC
In the same boat lol, I dont even know how the summer went by so fast

fr feels like yesterday when i broke up from school
Original post by anon90176

Tm, Honestly im rlly stressed but just can't seem to get anything done
Reply 6
Hi, it’s totally possible! I know because I did it - went from BBC to A*A*A in the end (and got my grade 8 violin in the December of year 13). Admittedly I did start working during the summer holidays, but there’s definitely time. Break all your topics up into smaller individual tasks/subtopics and the put them into checklists, doing a couple of things for each subject every day and you should end up powering through it! My main tip would be to get organised, and fast, as then you have your plan ready for the year and you can focus on what matters.

Work smart, rather than for a long time as well. Don’t say to yourself “do this subject for two hours”, as for me that’s how I got burnt out really quickly. You can get even more done if you just focus on the tasks themselves rather than the exact amount of time you want to be spending on them. Take breaks regularly (whenever you need them - don’t force yourself to keep working as you’ll get burnt out and create an association of boredom, tiredness and lack of progression with studying which will ultimately lead to you hating it!) and don’t lose your social life (at least not until the last month before your exams haha).

Try to spend less time worrying and more time doing, as that’s the only way you’ll get it done. Once you make a start it’ll feel a lot better - trust me!!

What are you hoping to do at uni and which uni?
Reply 7
i'm a little stressed cause whilst i managed to pull through (ish) for my end of year exams this year (going into y13 now), i definitely did not do enough revision. i told myself i'd make up for it in the summer but the summer's gone and i've only really focused on one subject because i literally have a retake exam for it in a week, which is when school opens (though even for this i'm still doing extremely late revision and very stressed for it) . do you think it'll be possible to go into year 13 pretty much relearning or at least making efficient notes for all my year 12 content across my 3 subjects, whilst simultaneously keeping up with year 13 stuff and still manage to get all As/A*s? Year 12 went by so quickly and the pandemic pretty much made all my motivation, notes just school in general etc go out the window and I procrastinated really badly, and completely regret this. i also am working on my piano grade 8 right now so quite a lot of my hours are taken away to do that. i'm assuming i'd also have to pretty much give up my social life...?

have an aim perhaps by Christmas holidays to make revision notes on certain topics from year 12 - maybe half the topics from year 12? you'll know what will be best for yourself to aim for.

try your best to stay on top of year 13 work as it will be harder and first time your seeing it so should be your priority - do your revision notes for year 13 stuff straight after your lesson or at least the same day you had your lesson.

make a timetable if it works for you to give you a rough idea of when you will time to go over year 12 content - dont get stressed if you dont strictly follow it as its meant to be a guide

if you have any mocks throughout the year treat them as if you are revising for your actual a level exam so that when you actually do your a levels next summer it will be so much easier to revise.
literally bro dk how we're gonna survive this year

didnt they say they are gonna shorten the spec for us and they will release it in october?
I could be wrong

literallyyyyy aghhhhh
Reply 10
Original post by Culver
Hi, it’s totally possible! I know because I did it - went from BBC to A*A*A in the end (and got my grade 8 violin in the December of year 13). Admittedly I did start working during the summer holidays, but there’s definitely time. Break all your topics up into smaller individual tasks/subtopics and the put them into checklists, doing a couple of things for each subject every day and you should end up powering through it! My main tip would be to get organised, and fast, as then you have your plan ready for the year and you can focus on what matters.

Work smart, rather than for a long time as well. Don’t say to yourself “do this subject for two hours”, as for me that’s how I got burnt out really quickly. You can get even more done if you just focus on the tasks themselves rather than the exact amount of time you want to be spending on them. Take breaks regularly (whenever you need them - don’t force yourself to keep working as you’ll get burnt out and create an association of boredom, tiredness and lack of progression with studying which will ultimately lead to you hating it!) and don’t lose your social life (at least not until the last month before your exams haha).

Try to spend less time worrying and more time doing, as that’s the only way you’ll get it done. Once you make a start it’ll feel a lot better - trust me!!

What are you hoping to do at uni and which uni?

ah thank you so much!! appreciate your advice, definitely think my revision methods are where i go wrong cause of how distracted i get, so do you think i should do a bit of year 12 content every day after school along w year 13 revision/ hw then?

congrats for your grades, that's a big accomplishment

i'll be applying for spanish and italian, looking at oxford, bristol, ucl still undecided about a few other ones
Reply 11
Original post by zarahh09
didnt they say they are gonna shorten the spec for us and they will release it in october?
I could be wrong

i heard they might give us an extra week of school or more ig to consolidate w teachers, but that means less time off to study rip

i hope they do shorten it though!!
Reply 12

felt. feels like i'm in a bubble of procrastination slump
Reply 13
ah thank you so much!! appreciate your advice, definitely think my revision methods are where i go wrong cause of how distracted i get, so do you think i should do a bit of year 12 content every day after school along w year 13 revision/ hw then?

congrats for your grades, that's a big accomplishment

i'll be applying for spanish and italian, looking at oxford, bristol, ucl still undecided about a few other ones

Oh awesome, I could defo help you on the Oxford side of things because I got into Oxford for French this year ! Could help you with literally every aspect of your application if you want because it seems like we’re quite similar!!

Yeah start doing a couple tasks for each subject for year 12 content every day and then with regards to year 13 stuff, if I were you, just make sure you take good notes in class and do homework for now and then revise that at the end once you’re a lot further through the year 12 stuff or if you have mocks on it. Right now you’ll really want to be convincing your teachers to get your ucas grades up (if they’re not already) to at least AAA or A*AA depending on what your GCSEs and other aspects of your application are looking like.

Also don’t overthink the year 12 stuff! Print off/look at the syllabus for each of your subjects and only revise what you need to. Some subjects (like history for me) had textbooks FULL of information that I just didn’t need but I’d be making revision cards full of paragraphs of information which would ultimately be both useless and impossible to retain. Read model answers for essay subjects to see what gets you the marks and revise that!!
i'm a little stressed cause whilst i managed to pull through (ish) for my end of year exams this year (going into y13 now), i definitely did not do enough revision. i told myself i'd make up for it in the summer but the summer's gone and i've only really focused on one subject because i literally have a retake exam for it in a week, which is when school opens (though even for this i'm still doing extremely late revision and very stressed for it) . do you think it'll be possible to go into year 13 pretty much relearning or at least making efficient notes for all my year 12 content across my 3 subjects, whilst simultaneously keeping up with year 13 stuff and still manage to get all As/A*s? Year 12 went by so quickly and the pandemic pretty much made all my motivation, notes just school in general etc go out the window and I procrastinated really badly, and completely regret this. i also am working on my piano grade 8 right now so quite a lot of my hours are taken away to do that. i'm assuming i'd also have to pretty much give up my social life...?

This is the year it gets serious, the exam results will determine the subjects you take in the future and probably which university will take you, so you need to change up a gear to keep on top of your work load.
The encouraging thing is you realise you can do much better, and where you can improve, the past year has been chaotic for everyone so don't feel too stressed about it, start off afresh, if you find a subject difficult have a look on here at the revision help offered and where past papers are worked through in lots of subjects allowing you to go over and over something until you understand it fully, and you will soon be on track for good results, fingers crossed and good luck.

Lol, same! I did get ahead in one of my subjects though and I am currently trying to rush through summer homework.
Reply 16
Original post by Culver
Oh awesome, I could defo help you on the Oxford side of things because I got into Oxford for French this year ! Could help you with literally every aspect of your application if you want because it seems like we’re quite similar!!

Yeah start doing a couple tasks for each subject for year 12 content every day and then with regards to year 13 stuff, if I were you, just make sure you take good notes in class and do homework for now and then revise that at the end once you’re a lot further through the year 12 stuff or if you have mocks on it. Right now you’ll really want to be convincing your teachers to get your ucas grades up (if they’re not already) to at least AAA or A*AA depending on what your GCSEs and other aspects of your application are looking like.

Also don’t overthink the year 12 stuff! Print off/look at the syllabus for each of your subjects and only revise what you need to. Some subjects (like history for me) had textbooks FULL of information that I just didn’t need but I’d be making revision cards full of paragraphs of information which would ultimately be both useless and impossible to retain. Read model answers for essay subjects to see what gets you the marks and revise that!!

i'd really appreciate that cheers, and well done again!! actually working on personal statement rn so !! pretty sick

yeah i think it's the quality of revision, not quantity which is what i'd been focusing on like you say so cheers! my gcse grades were good and i've got good predicted ones for my A levels, just working on one of them but it's just whether or not I can actually achieve it, i'll follow your tips for sure

really appreciate your advice thank you
Reply 17
i'd really appreciate that cheers, and well done again!! actually working on personal statement rn so !! pretty sick

yeah i think it's the quality of revision, not quantity which is what i'd been focusing on like you say so cheers! my gcse grades were good and i've got good predicted ones for my A levels, just working on one of them but it's just whether or not I can actually achieve it, i'll follow your tips for sure

really appreciate your advice thank you

Aww thanks!! And no worries at all - pm me or let me know if you need help with anything at all whether it’s ps, mlat, revision or interview related :smile:
Glad I'm not the only special person.
Original post by myhairispeng
Glad I'm not the only special person.

We'll get through this.

Quick Reply

Latest