The Student Room Group

Will i get a conditional offer with these grades?

i done poor at my highers receiving ABBC at chemistry, physics, English and business in that order. A Physics degree at Glasgow university is asking for BBBB with one of these being higher maths, and the university of Edinburgh and strathclyde are asking for AABB and AABC including higher maths. this means that i need one more grade to get into each uni. will i most likely get a conditional or are my chances slim because im really panicking. thanks!
Original post by Rabah04
i done poor at my highers receiving ABBC at chemistry, physics, English and business in that order. A Physics degree at Glasgow university is asking for BBBB with one of these being higher maths, and the university of Edinburgh and strathclyde are asking for AABB and AABC including higher maths. this means that i need one more grade to get into each uni. will i most likely get a conditional or are my chances slim because im really panicking. thanks!

One predicted grade off really isn’t anything to think about in England, so I assume Scotland is the same. Students work harder in year 13 so they generally are more likely to go up a grade rather than down. I guess it depends how many applicants there are for your course.
If you are staying onto S6 Glasgows requirements are usually more - BBBB at S5 will be considered. Typically S6 entrants will have AAAAA at Higher. B at Advanced Higher is equivalent to A at Higher.

Not sure about the others, maybe ask in each of the University forums on here and a rep might reply, or email the universities to find out if you will be considered.
Reply 3
Original post by BlackLab
If you are staying onto S6 Glasgows requirements are usually more - BBBB at S5 will be considered. Typically S6 entrants will have AAAAA at Higher. B at Advanced Higher is equivalent to A at Higher.

Not sure about the others, maybe ask in each of the University forums on here and a rep might reply, or email the universities to find out if you will be considered.

all it says for me is BBBB is required since i go to a low income school and am a young carer.
Original post by Rabah04
all it says for me is BBBB is required since i go to a low income school and am a young carer.

You could be okay or miss out it really depends as your grades average to BBBB but they might see the C and just say no if the average is straight As. Email them and ask
Original post by Rabah04

Hi @Rabah04 :smile: For our BSc Physics, If you qualify for a contextual offer then we would like for you to achive AABC/ABBBB (*both* Physics B AND Mathematics B) by the end of S6. You haven't done poorly in S5 at all! You'd likely receive a conditional offer from us, asking you to achieve either one more A or alternatively two more Bs. I'd certainly encourage you to still apply for Strathclyde!

Which subjects are you doing this year?

Best of luck with your application and studies this year!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 6
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @Rabah04 :smile: For our BSc Physics, If you qualify for a contextual offer then we would like for you to achive AABC/ABBBB (*both* Physics B AND Mathematics B) by the end of S6. You haven't done poorly in S5 at all! You'd likely receive a conditional offer from us, asking you to achieve either one more A or alternatively two more Bs. I'd certainly encourage you to still apply for Strathclyde!

Which subjects are you doing this year?

Best of luck with your application and studies this year!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post:smile:. I am currently doing Higher Maths, Higher Biology, AH physics and AH chemistry. Would these subjects increase the likelihood of me getting a contextual offer? thanks!
Original post by Rabah04
Thanks for taking the time to read my post:smile:. I am currently doing Higher Maths, Higher Biology, AH physics and AH chemistry. Would these subjects increase the likelihood of me getting a contextual offer? thanks!

Hi there @Rabah04 no problem at all, that's why we're here :biggrin:

When it comes to contextual offers- it's not your subject choices that determine this. At Strathclyde we use three factors in determining whether or not you're eligible for a contextual offer. You can find more information about our Widening Access criteria here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/wideningaccess/ but in short, we consider 1) your postcode, 2) your school and 3) whether you have spent any time in care. It sounded like you mentioned above you may potentially attend one of the schools on our Widening Access criteria so double check it's there using the web link above to confirm it. If you are eligible we will use the information on your UCAS form to determine this so you don't need to state this anywhere or do anything extra to notify us - we will already be able to tell :smile:

You're doing a great range of subjects. Even if you don't qualify for a contextual offer I think your grades of ABBC have set you up well. In either case, we'd definitely need to set a condition for your Higher Maths as that's one of the subjects that we look for. I can't guarantee that you will definitely be made an offer but I think with the subjects you have and if you're prepared to keep working hard in S6 then that will work in your favour. We have an Open Day coming up next month where you can come along and chat to staff in the Physics department and they can chat about entry requirements and the course with you in lots of detail. You can find more info about that here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/openday/

Drop me a message if I can help with anything else!
Reply 8
Hi, i do attend one of the schools which is good. I was wondering. If i am a young carer, will that work in my favour? Thanks!
Original post by Rabah04
Hi, i do attend one of the schools which is good. I was wondering. If i am a young carer, will that work in my favour? Thanks!

Ok cool, thanks! :smile: That's not one of the Widening Access criteria we consider at Strathclyde I'm afraid. When it comes to contextual offers, however, you only need to meet the criteria for *one* of the three areas we consider to be eligible for an adjusted offer. So if your school is on our list of target schools then that will be considered and you'll be working towards achieving the Minimum Entry Requirements (as detailed earlier in the thread).

Feel free to ask your teacher to add in to your reference that you are a young carer as this could still be relevant info for universities to know and can give further context to your application, but for us it isn't taken in to consideration when setting conditions for an offer.

Hope that makes sense!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending