The Student Room Group

University of Manchester A106 2022 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by binti_Lamees
Hi would anyone be able to help as to if I'd be likely to get an interview?
GCSES: 7 A*s 2As
UCAT: 2660 Band 2
A levels predicted A* English A biology A chemistry
AS level in geography grade A

I don't think anyone knows tbh.
Reply 61
Hi,
Sorry to ask again. I would like to know how Manchester use the non-academic form. Do they use them in the interview selection process?
Also, is it risky for the applicants who just do GP shadowing and volunteer work in COVID vaccination clinic, charity and food bank, to apply? ( no other caring work experience).
Thanks
Original post by bbr32
Hi,
Sorry to ask again. I would like to know how Manchester use the non-academic form. Do they use them in the interview selection process?
Also, is it risky for the applicants who just do GP shadowing and volunteer work in COVID vaccination clinic, charity and food bank, to apply? ( no other caring work experience).
Thanks

All anybody could tell you with authority is what they themselves say on their website. You might trying contacting them directly to see if they are able to answer any further questions you may have. Here is their own information.
https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/non-academic/
Hi - I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'm trying to figure out whether I fit the eligibility for WP and therefore a lower UCAT cutoff. They say this on their website:

"Some schools already know if they are in a widening participation area, as these are defined by the government based on social and economic data.

However, students can still come from widening participation backgrounds even if they attend schools not officially designated as widening participation, such as grammar schools.

The following criteria help us to know if young people are from a widening participation background:

if they are the first in the family to go to university;
if they have been in receipt of free school meals;
if they have been in care services;
if they come from a community that has a low number of students who go to university"

I qualify for two of the above factors, however don't qualify for a contextual offer. Would I be eligible for a lower UCAT cutoff pre-interview, considering I meet two of the criteria? Would I automatically be entered for this? I have a UCAT score of 2560 so would have no chance for standard entry, but could if I had a lower cutoff through WP.

I'm very grateful for anyone who could help me. Thanks so much :smile:
Hi - I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I'm trying to figure out whether I fit the eligibility for WP and therefore a lower UCAT cutoff. They say this on their website:

"Some schools already know if they are in a widening participation area, as these are defined by the government based on social and economic data.

However, students can still come from widening participation backgrounds even if they attend schools not officially designated as widening participation, such as grammar schools.

The following criteria help us to know if young people are from a widening participation background:

if they are the first in the family to go to university;
if they have been in receipt of free school meals;
if they have been in care services;
if they come from a community that has a low number of students who go to university"

I qualify for two of the above factors, however don't qualify for a contextual offer. Would I be eligible for a lower UCAT cutoff pre-interview, considering I meet two of the criteria? Would I automatically be entered for this? I have a UCAT score of 2560 so would have no chance for standard entry, but could if I had a lower cutoff through WP.

I'm very grateful for anyone who could help me. Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by Rando3005
I don't think anyone knows tbh.

ah have they changed their usual method of admissions? I'm just trying to decide between manchester or glasgow :smile:
Original post by sofia333
what do you mean they have removed the guarantee interview if >7th decile? so how are they going to assess if someone goes through the holistic assessment or not? how are they going to impose a cut-off without the 7th decile margin that they previously used?

As above - they’re going to base their cutoff on applicant’s scores. So if they have 500 interviews to give (say) the cutoff would be the 500th best UCAT of everyone who applied, be that 3000 or 2400.
Reply 67
ah have they changed their usual method of admissions? I'm just trying to decide between manchester or glasgow :smile:

Glasgow's cut off was nearly 200 higher than Manchester's last year
Original post by GANFYD
Glasgow's cut off was nearly 200 higher than Manchester's last year

Thanks! Do you think I might be able to get an interview if through holistic route with Manc?
UCAT 2660 band 2
GCSES 7A*s 2As
predicted A* english lit A biology and A chemistry
i have an AS in geog at grade A :smile:
Given that the UCAT cut off is likely to increase, is a score of 3030 likely to meet the threshold?
Reply 70
Thanks! Do you think I might be able to get an interview if through holistic route with Manc?
UCAT 2660 band 2
GCSES 7A*s 2As
predicted A* english lit A biology and A chemistry
i have an AS in geog at grade A :smile:

They do not say how they assess their holistic route
Original post by tj21
Given that the UCAT cut off is likely to increase, is a score of 3030 likely to meet the threshold?

Yes, or everyone is doomed!
Reply 71
Hi there, do you think a UCAT score of 2690 B2 would be risky to apply with if I am to go down the UCAT route as I feel my other academics wouldn't be as good as everyone else for the holistic route.
Does anyone know about the medicine with European studies option for those that want to continue franch/German/spanish? The relevant links on manchesters webpage seem to have been recently removed - does anyway know if this means that the option is being discontinued or removed?
Hi,
I know you can't say but what are your predictions on the cut-off? Is likely that the UCAT cut-off could increase from 2620 to 2700? Or just below 2700?
Thanks!!
Reply 74
Original post by Funnyjam3728
Hi,
I know you can't say but what are your predictions on the cut-off? Is likely that the UCAT cut-off could increase from 2620 to 2700? Or just below 2700?
Thanks!!

I think UCAT cut off was 2640 for 2020/2021. I’ve attached the link to the doc https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/data/
Original post by pwat822
I think UCAT cut off was 2640 for 2020/2021. I’ve attached the link to the doc https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/study/medicine/apply/data/

Oh thanks!! I though it was 2620 :smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Funnyjam3728
Hi,
Thanks!!

SGUL UCAT cut off went up 140 last year, Glasgow 150, Bristol 140, Newcastle 100, Sheffield 80. Manchester have stopped saying they will interview those with a top 1/3 UCAT score, so will just count down the ranked applicants. Depends how many they want to interview, but I suspect they have removed their pledge due to wanting to increase the cut off
Hi does anyone know if applying with a SJT Band3 would be disadvantageous at Manchester?
Manchester give priority to those with band 1/2 when ranking for interview, so it may be safer to apply to ones that don't look at the SJT :smile:
(it's not a guaranteed rejection though AFAIK)
Original post by HeyStink23
I also have a WP flag due to my postcode not sure how much this would help

Which post codes count as wp?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending