University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrietrose17
So just a virtual panel?

Yes, last year it was 2 ppl interviewing
Original post by unknownviewer
Yes, last year it was 2 ppl interviewing

That's a shame, I was kind of hoping for an in person interview :frown:
Anyone know how Southampton give out offers? I read somewhere that offers depend on interview performance aswell as UCAT score? does that mean they use sjt to give out offers or just your total score? thanks
Reply 83
Original post by MedicineSoonCome
Anyone know how Southampton give out offers? I read somewhere that offers depend on interview performance aswell as UCAT score? does that mean they use sjt to give out offers or just your total score? thanks

Just interview performance. UCAT is used as a tiebreaker
Reply 84
They have said this for years, but previously clarified it is used as a tiebreaker. Cannot 100% verify they have not changed it this year, but the website has said that for as long as I can remember (granted, that feels like about 3 minutes, now, but this does come up every year and people have checked in previous years)
Original post by Havinhelin1
Will I they accept bio sociology and business ?

No, you need chemistry too I believe
Does anyone know for Southampton whether you have to have your resit grades achieved before applying, all I can see is that A level resits are considered, I've emailed admissions and called but no response :/
Reply 87
Original post by Abuzu123
No, you need chemistry too I believe

On their website they say:
"AAA to include A level Biology and one additional science (with a pass in the practical element where it is separately endorsed)
Acceptable science subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies or Geography."

So biology and sociology plus any 3rd A level would be fine @Havinhelin1
Reply 88
Original post by medguy12
Does anyone know for Southampton whether you have to have your resit grades achieved before applying, all I can see is that A level resits are considered, I've emailed admissions and called but no response :/

No, they will consider predicted grades for resits
Original post by GANFYD
No, they will consider predicted grades for resits

Thank you @GANFYD
Unsure what I should put as my 4th option, ARU or Southampton, I meet the minimum requirements for both and a UCAT score of 2790, what do you guys think?
Original post by Harshaplayz
Unsure what I should put as my 4th option, ARU or Southampton, I meet the minimum requirements for both and a UCAT score of 2790, what do you guys think?

I mean ARU would probably be safer for interview because they have a far lower ucat cut off than Southampton. But it really depends with the course too because you’d also be likely for Southampton to get an interview. Maybe check how they score post interview?
Original post by harrietrose17
I mean ARU would probably be safer for interview because they have a far lower ucat cut off than Southampton. But it really depends with the course too because you’d also be likely for Southampton to get an interview. Maybe check how they score post interview?

I think Southampton add your ucat score to your interview score, whereas ARU use just the interview score, I will only apply for Southampton as my 4th if you think I'm pretty much guaranteed to get an interview or else go for ARU
Original post by Harshaplayz
I think Southampton add your ucat score to your interview score, whereas ARU use just the interview score, I will only apply for Southampton as my 4th if you think I'm pretty much guaranteed to get an interview or else go for ARU

It’s really hard to say you are ever truly guaranteed an interview since weird things happen in application. If you really want a safe option I’d do ARU because it is safer since it’s ucat has historically been lower than Southampton, but if you prefer Southampton’s course I’d apply there because you still have a good shot at Southampton:smile:
Reply 94
Can I just clarify that Southampton use your interview score + your UCAT score post interview? This is what the posts above seem to imply?
is 2660 b2 too low? or would high gcses & predicteds make up for it?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lnbk
Can I just clarify that Southampton use your interview score + your UCAT score post interview? This is what the posts above seem to imply?

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/apply/UK_clinical_aptitude_test_%28UKCAT%29.page

They say "The UCAT score is reviewed again alongside performance at Selection Days to determine who will receive an offer.", whereas the likes of ARU determine who gets an offer based solely on interview performance
Reply 97
Original post by Lnbk

They have had their odd wording on the website for years and have previously confirmed UCAT is only used as a tiebreaker and for most people, decisions re offers are made purely on interview performance. I have not seen any evidence they have changed it for 2022 entry
Original post by aliyah.04x
is 2660 b2 too low? or would high gcses & predicteds make up for it?

Their cutoff this year was 2680 so I’d say your score is too low as it’s unlikely to go down in another very competitive year. Southampton only rank on UCAT after ensuring minimum eligibility is met so academics do not offset a lower UCAT.
Original post by freemango
Their cutoff this year was 2680 so I’d say your score is too low as it’s unlikely to go down in another very competitive year. Southampton only rank on UCAT after ensuring minimum eligibility is met so academics do not offset a lower UCAT.

where is the 2680 value from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending