The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rke7241
I really wanted to apply to St Georges but the UCAT cutoff was 2620 last year so I felt it was too risky.

I've not calculated my score for Leicester because you're guaranteed an interview if you have achieved grades and if your UCAT score is in the top 5 deciles.

Oh wow I didn’t know that thank you for that information!! I will consider looking at Leicester now!
Original post by rke7241
Hi, I have currently shortlisted Liverpool, ARU, Leicester and Aston/Edge Hill. I’m guaranteed an interview at Leicester with my achieved grades and ucat. I’m undecided between Aston and Edge Hill. Where have you thought about applying?

It is dependent on your points for Aston as the cut off was supposedly 29
Does anyone know the UCAT cut-off score for international applicants for 2021 entry?
Original post by Charlotte22722
The minimum UCAT cutoff changes each year, depending on the scores of people that apply. They invite the highest UCAT scorers to interview first, then work their way down until all the slots are filled. It usually stays within a similar range, so if you’re above last years score you stand a good chance of getting an interview. If you’re very close to/ a bit below previous cutoff it would obviously be a bit of a risk. Hope that helps!

Do you know the last years stats? I got 2590 BAND 1 this year.
Reply 64
Original post by barksdale_
Do you know the last years stats? I got 2590 BAND 1 this year.

Original post by GANFYD

Damn that's no good. Thanks a lot again GANFYD
Original post by potatoslices
Does anyone know the UCAT cut-off score for international applicants for 2021 entry?

No, but they seem to be very open about the home one so may well just tell you if you ask?
Original post by rke7241
Hi, I have currently shortlisted Liverpool, ARU, Leicester and Aston/Edge Hill. I’m guaranteed an interview at Leicester with my achieved grades and ucat. I’m undecided between Aston and Edge Hill. Where have you thought about applying?

Beware of Edge Hill...they have an extremely small intake (15 for the 5 year course) - they give about 40 offers give or take, and the interview to offer ratio is bad.
Only consider it if you have run out of other possible options, but even schools like Kent and Keele (who still have small intakes) have a larger intake then EHU.
I'm speaking from experience - I got rejected from edge hill last year, my interview went well but they could only offer a very small number of places so they put me on the reserve list.
I would say Aston is probably a safer choice than edge hill, particularly as you have achieved grades (which they score) so that boosts your pre-interview score. :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
This is discussed in the post literally just above yours.
If you are interested in a med school, read their website (and click on every link), read last year and this year's threads on here and if you still have quesions, please do ask, but independent research and self-directed learning are key for a successful medical student

wow, he just got burned!
i'm an international grad with an achieved first in biomedical science and a score of 2800 b1. will this be enough for BM5? I read the cutoff last year was 2680. does this include grads?
Reply 70
How do Southampton allocate offers?

I read somewhere that it is a mixture of UCAT score and Interview score but I cannot find any proof of this?
Original post by Kurdd

I read somewhere that it is a mixture of UCAT score and Interview score but I cannot find any proof of this?

A bit old, but:
https://cdn.southampton.ac.uk/assets/imported/transforms/content-block/UsefulDownloads_Download/FBAA687A59C349A69C11DA1E1A7D8342/2020%20Selection%20Procedure%20and%20Policy%20for%20the%20Faculty%20of%20Medicine.pdf
Original post by Kurdd

As far as I know they rank interview scores, using UCAT as a tiebreaker
Original post by macromed
i'm an international grad with an achieved first in biomedical science and a score of 2800 b1. will this be enough for BM5? I read the cutoff last year was 2680. does this include grads?

Grads have a different and higher cutoff for BM5 than school leavers, it was around 2790-2800 this year. I don’t know if the cutoff is different again for internationals though. So 2800 would be somewhat risky to be honest. Southampton are pretty good at giving out information so probably worth asking if they could tell you the int’l grad cutoff for this year unless anyone else here knows.
Would a school leaver be treated differently if they were not a direct school leaver? I finished my a levels in 2020 and so I have had a gap year between then and applying now.
Reply 75
Original post by nigachoro
Would a school leaver be treated differently if they were not a direct school leaver? I finished my a levels in 2020 and so I have had a gap year between then and applying now.

Nah you wouldn’t. Your still a school leaver and wouldn’t be treated different as long as you haven’t embarked on uni course.
Hi, I attended the subject talk yesterday and they said they’re going to do it virtually, the same as last year. Last year, they didn’t do a group task.
Original post by unknownviewer
Hi, I attended the subject talk yesterday and they said they’re going to do it virtually, the same as last year. Last year, they didn’t do a group task.

So just a virtual panel?
Reply 78
Does anyone know what the UCAT cut off was for grads on the BM5 course?
Reply 79
Original post by Beegrg
Does anyone know what the UCAT cut off was for grads on the BM5 course?

About 2780, but unclear if that was a Soton grad (as they get lower cut off, I think)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending