The Student Room Group

Kent and Medway Medical School A100 2022 entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for Kent and Medway Medical School A100.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about KMMS.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the Kent and Medway Medical School A100 2022 Entry Discussion.

KMMS A100 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560710

For general information click: https://kmms.ac.uk/study/

For entry requirements click: https://kmms.ac.uk/entry-requirements-2021/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I just sat the UCAT and got 2540 and Band 3, my predicted is AAA. Is it worth applying to KMMS for 2022?
GCSEs - D*777666664
@GANFYD and @A_J_B
Original post by ic1012
Hi, I just sat the UCAT and got 2540 and Band 3, my predicted is AAA. Is it worth applying to KMMS for 2022?
GCSEs - D*777666664
@GANFYD and @A_J_B

You would be above the UCAT threshold, but KMMS is always tricky as they heavily contextualise GCSEs and A levels. Do you have any contextual points or idea of your school’s achievement at GCSE?
What subject is your 4 in - if it is a core subject you do not meet the minimum requirements unfortunately.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
English Literature and unfortunately I don’t meet the contextual
Original post by ic1012
English Literature and unfortunately I don’t meet the contextual

If you have no contextual criteria at all and went to a high performing independent or grammar school for GCSE you possibly have safer options, then.
See above - you meet minimum criteria but shortlisting is opaque with all grades contextualised. You have a good UCAT so probably have safer options? Is there a reason you only did 5 GCSEs?
Reply 6
Sorry for asking a stupid question, but I don’t understand the contextualise business. I went to a grammar and got 99988887776, Cags this summer ABB (maths, chem, bio) so resitting in a fortnight. Ucat is 2790 B1. I can’t make the open day on Sat as I’ll be revising, but is applying a risk? I live in a Polar 4 postcode.
Hi @GANFYD
Just had a pretty dumb question but wanted to double check just incase. I recently emailed KMMS for a query and at the end of the email it states this:
‘Please note that this information is for indicative guidance only. KMMS is a new medical school and the BM BS programme is subject to successful progress through the General Medical Council’s quality’ assurance programme.’
This does mean that by the end of the 5/6 years you’re guaranteed to get a medical degree right?
I mean they are on the ‘reviewing’ list of the GMC https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/how-we-quality-assure/medical-schools/new-schools-and-programmes-under-review

So the newer unis can for now award degrees right?

Thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by studentLuna
Hi @GANFYD
Just had a pretty dumb question but wanted to double check just incase. I recently emailed KMMS for a query and at the end of the email it states this:
‘Please note that this information is for indicative guidance only. KMMS is a new medical school and the BM BS programme is subject to successful progress through the General Medical Council’s quality’ assurance programme.’
This does mean that by the end of the 5/6 years you’re guaranteed to get a medical degree right?
I mean they are on the ‘reviewing’ list of the GMC https://www.gmc-uk.org/education/how-we-quality-assure/medical-schools/new-schools-and-programmes-under-review

So the newer unis can for now award degrees right?

Thank you.

KMMS is mentored by BSMS, so if there are issues identified by the GMC that mean KMMS are not accredited (and I cannot see what they may be) then the degree would be awarded from BSMS
Original post by GANFYD
KMMS is mentored by BSMS, so if there are issues identified by the GMC that mean KMMS are not accredited (and I cannot see what they may be) then the degree would be awarded from BSMS

Ah. That makes sense. Thank you!
Reply 10
Hi, My UCAT is 2550 Band 2. I am thinking of applying to Kent as my predicted grades are A*AB My GCSE's are A*9888877666 One thing I don't really understand is how they're going to contextualise us against our school performance, I understand the GCSE aspect but what about A Level's do they compare our predicted grades with the rest of our cohort or something??? Do I have a chance? :/
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by yaspsa
Hi, My UCAT is 2550 Band 2. I am thinking of applying to Kent as my predicted grades are A*AB My GCSE's are A*9888877666 One thing I don't really understand is how they're going to contextualise us against our school performance, I understand the GCSE aspect but what about A Level's do they compare our predicted grades with the rest of our cohort or something??? Do I have a chance? :/

They do not consider predicted grades at all
Reply 12
Original post by GANFYD
They do not consider predicted grades at all

So what are they using for 'contextualisation' against people in our school ?
Reply 13
Original post by yaspsa
So what are they using for 'contextualisation' against people in our school ?

Yes, I believe so. They look at your performance versus the performance of the rest of your school cohort. So if you got 5 x9s, 2 x 8s a 7 and a 6 but everyone else got 3s and 4s, you would score more than comebody with the same scores whose peers got all 8s and 9s
Reply 14
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, I believe so. They look at your performance versus the performance of the rest of your school cohort. So if you got 5 x9s, 2 x 8s a 7 and a 6 but everyone else got 3s and 4s, you would score more than comebody with the same scores whose peers got all 8s and 9s

Oh alright makes some sense, thank you!
Reply 15
Original post by yaspsa
Oh alright makes some sense, thank you!

It does? Clear as mud to me :lol:
Reply 16
Original post by GANFYD
It does? Clear as mud to me :lol:

Not really but I guess we have to work with what we have 😬
Reply 17
Original post by yaspsa
Not really but I guess we have to work with what we have 😬

You are gonna be a great doctor :lol:
Hi guys, here is my info:
GCSEs and grade breakdown : 99999888A*7A (9s in bio chem maths business and french, 8s in English lit, geography physics, 7 in English language, A* in further maths and A in statistics)
A level achieved: AAA (bio chem maths)
UCAT: 690 avg (2760)
SJT band : 3
Brief mention of work experience : Brighton and Sussex, observe gp, ongoing clinical experience as hca
I meet WP criteria: low household income, bursary student etc.

Is KMMS a reasonable choice, or will my band 3 put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 19
UCAT score 2700. Biomedical sciences 2:1. SJT band 1. Not worked in Kent. Is it worth applying? Or is Glasgow a safer option? Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending