The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree

Is maths, further maths and physics a good enough combination for me to be able to study computer science at a decent uni?

Is there anyone who has had this combination that has made it onto a course they enjoy.

Or should I stick with maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I’ve had a look at the entry requirements for some Russel Group unis, the common thing they ask for is an A/ A* in maths, there’s not really any specifics about your sciencey subjects, so i would say you’d probably be fine sticking to physics rather than taking 4 A levels.

If there’s any particular universities you’re interested in, just search the course onto the UCAS website and you’ll be able to view the entry requirements :smile:

Attached a link for you!! https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/providers?searchTerm=computer%20science%20&destination=Undergraduate
CompSci look for Maths applicants! So having Further Maths and Maths will be a massive help. Are you doing Discrete Maths as part of your FM course?

Only drop Chemistry if it's impacting your Maths grades/if you're not really enjoying it, otherwise continue :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by aliaa03
Hi :smile: I’ve had a look at the entry requirements for some Russel Group unis, the common thing they ask for is an A/ A* in maths, there’s not really any specifics about your sciencey subjects, so i would say you’d probably be fine sticking to physics rather than taking 4 A levels.

If there’s any particular universities you’re interested in, just search the course onto the UCAS website and you’ll be able to view the entry requirements :smile:

Attached a link for you!! https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/providers?searchTerm=computer%20science%20&destination=Undergraduate

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by bette4545
CompSci look for Maths applicants! So having Further Maths and Maths will be a massive help. Are you doing Discrete Maths as part of your FM course?

Only drop Chemistry if it's impacting your Maths grades/if you're not really enjoying it, otherwise continue :smile:

Thanks, and no I'm not doing discrete maths. I only want to drop if it will leave my chances unaffected plus the fact that then i will only have 3 subject.
Reply 6
Original post by Dylan8421
Thanks, and no I'm not doing discrete maths. I only want to drop if it will leave my chances unaffected plus the fact that then i will only have 3 subject.

You only need 3 A levels for entry. Not even Oxbridge ask for 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending