The Student Room Group

Chemistry Olympiad

I am currently in year 12 and I want to apply for chemistry at Oxford next year. I’m looking into sitting the chemistry olympiad and just wondered what score would look impressive on my application? I know the competition is designed for second year A-level students so I’m assuming even bronze looks good - is this the case?

Scroll to see replies

yes
I'd definitely recommend taking part - it's a fun exam and you'll enjoy it if you're applying for chemistry. You can worry about results after you've got them back :smile:
Original post by Plagioclase
I'd definitely recommend taking part - it's a fun exam and you'll enjoy it if you're applying for chemistry. You can worry about results after you've got them back :smile:

Haha yeah I know - I’ve loved doing the past paper questions so far and I’m definitely going to sit it either way. I was just curious about the awards and how much of an achievement a bronze/silver/gold actually would be for a year 12 :smile:
Original post by bluewhale87
I am currently in year 12 and I want to apply for chemistry at Oxford next year. I’m looking into sitting the chemistry olympiad and just wondered what score would look impressive on my application? I know the competition is designed for second year A-level students so I’m assuming even bronze looks good - is this the case?

I'm also applying for chemistry at Oxford next year but I'm in year 13, I didn't do olympiad but I'll just do more wider reading and super-curriculars ig
Haha yeah I know - I’ve loved doing the past paper questions so far and I’m definitely going to sit it either way. I was just curious about the awards and how much of an achievement a bronze/silver/gold actually would be for a year 12 :smile:

I got a silver in Year 12, and apparently that's pretty good - not as good as a gold obviously, but the benefits is more what you learnt from it, and what you take from it rather than the colour of your award - unless you get to Round 2 and then to the British team camp.

Something that you may want to look at is the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge - because it's geared towards Year 12s, and then a good target would be to achieve the Roentgenium award, because about 30 people in the country score that highly - if you want to impress Oxford, that should probably be on your radar.
Original post by summerbirdreads
I'm also applying for chemistry at Oxford next year but I'm in year 13, I didn't do olympiad but I'll just do more wider reading and super-curriculars ig

Ah nice - what super-curriculars are you thinking of? I’m trying to build mine up at the minute but it’s tricky since there isn’t a hugeee amount of challenging but still accessible chemistry content out there (at least not that I’ve found) :frown:

I think any award is good - getting anything is evidence that you have genuine aptitude for chemistry rather than just learning mark schemes.
Original post by kangadoo
I got a silver in Year 12, and apparently that's pretty good - not as good as a gold obviously, but the benefits is more what you learnt from it, and what you take from it rather than the colour of your award - unless you get to Round 2 and then to the British team camp.

Something that you may want to look at is the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge - because it's geared towards Year 12s, and then a good target would be to achieve the Roentgenium award, because about 30 people in the country score that highly - if you want to impress Oxford, that should probably be on your radar.

Ah this is so helpful, thank you!
Ah nice - what super-curriculars are you thinking of? I’m trying to build mine up at the minute but it’s tricky since there isn’t a hugeee amount of challenging but still accessible chemistry content out there (at least not that I’ve found) :frown:

I'm planning to read books recommended by Oxbridge and watch documentaries, podcasts, some recorded lecture and maybe even do some kind of online course etc.. but I have time since I'll be taking a gap year though.

What are your A-levels?
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm planning to read books recommended by Oxbridge and watch documentaries, podcasts, some recorded lecture and maybe even do some kind of online course etc.. but I have time since I'll be taking a gap year though.

What are your A-levels?

I’m doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics :smile: what are yours??
I’m doing maths, further maths, chemistry and physics :smile: what are yours??

Same!! I hate my life, hate physics
Same!! I hate my life, hate physics

Hahah yeah it’s defo my least fave of the four… What were your GCSEs? :smile:
Hahah yeah it’s defo my least fave of the four… What were your GCSEs? :smile:

Separate sciences
Maths
Eng Lang
Eng Lit
History
Business
PE
RE
Sociology
Economics

All 9s because I didn't take the exam lol. Yours?
Separate sciences
Maths
Eng Lang
Eng Lit
History
Business
PE
RE
Sociology
Economics

All 9s because I didn't take the exam lol. Yours?

Woww that’s amazing! I got ten 9s - triple science, maths, lit, lang, geog, drama, french and spanish as well as an A in add maths. What college were you thinking of? :smile:
Woww that’s amazing! I got ten 9s - triple science, maths, lit, lang, geog, drama, french and spanish as well as an A in add maths. What college were you thinking of? :smile:

Either Somerville or St John's
You?
(edited 2 years ago)
Either Somerville or St John's
You?

LMH :smile:

I’m not applying for Chemistry so I can’t say specifically what would look good, but I think even just taking part is good! I remember doing the exam, only because I thought it would be fun (some of the questions they had last year were genuinely so interesting) and regardless they will give you something to talk about in your personal statement (perhaps you can talk about how something you encountered in the Olympiad, e.g. a mechanism, inspired you to do further research/reading).

Also, the exam is very difficult and as a year 12 you will find many things that are just out of your reach however just try think a broad way. When I was going into the exam last year (I’m in Y13 now), I remember telling myself that this exam is just for fun and a certificate will just be a bonus. I was quite proud to come with a Bronze (tho I was annoyed since I was 2 marks off silver!).

Good luck & hope you like it!
I am applying to do chemistry @ Oxford this year. I am on a gap year and did the olympiad in y13. It is hard, do lots of past papers. I think tutors really like it. Good luck
Original post by Destinexx
I am applying to do chemistry @ Oxford this year. I am on a gap year and did the olympiad in y13. It is hard, do lots of past papers. I think tutors really like it. Good luck

You mean you applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending