The Student Room Group

a level help

hi

i'm currently choosing my a levels and i know i want to take english lit, psychology and maths. however, i don't know whether i should take fm or not.
i want to do law at uni, so idk how much it will help me.
however i do enjoy maths, and i'm predicted a 9, so i'm not sure whether it's a waste of time or not.
also if i do take fm, i would also like to do an epq, so would it be too much to do 4 a levels and also an epq?
or should i take 3 a levels and the epq?

thank you!
Original post by mmm100
hi

i'm currently choosing my a levels and i know i want to take english lit, psychology and maths. however, i don't know whether i should take fm or not.
however i do enjoy maths, and i'm predicted a 9, so i'm not sure whether it's a waste of time or not.
also if i do take fm, i would also like to do an epq, so would it be too much to do 4 a levels and also an epq?

thank you!

Hello,

I would definetly not recommend 4 A levels and an EPQ! The content is A levels is a riduculous amount (even EPQs take a lot of time) and it just would't be worth it.
Universitites really like students who do three A levels really well plus an EPQ. If you can ace three and have a good EPQ on top you'll have a good chance of getting into any uni.
Trust me, I do A level maths and there's plenty of content to keep you busy. And if you d get bored, you'll never find enough exam questions!

Hope that helps
Regards
~ Trail_Blazer
Original post by mmm100
hi

thank you!

4 a levels and an epq is way too much

also don't take further maths for Law even normal maths isnt of much use but if you like thats fine but fm wouldnt be worth you'll suffer for nor eason
Original post by mmm100
hi

thank you!

Just three A levels are fine, in the three subjects you've mentioned. EPQs are a bit of a waste of time, and you'd be better off putting your efforts into the three important A levels with an aim to get A*A*A or higher, which would give you a chance at any law school in the country.

Don't waste time and energy accumulating extra A levels and EPQs which will not help your application.
Original post by Trail_Blazer

Universitites really like students who do three A levels really well plus an EPQ.

Do you have any evidence of this claim?
Original post by Reality Check
Do you have any evidence of this claim?

It's what I've been told by my careers officer and many other teachers. An EPQ gives you extra UCAS points so it would help any university application.
Original post by Trail_Blazer
It's what I've been told by my careers officer and many other teachers. An EPQ gives you extra UCAS points so it would help any university application.

That’s not evidence. It’s anecdote.
Original post by mmm100
hi

thank you!

There is not much benefit of doing 4 a levels. I’d argue even the EPQ is unnecessary. It’d be better to focus on exceeding in your 3 subjects and don’t forget 3 a levels is still a LOT of content. Get work experience to make sure law is what u wanna do tho.

Quick Reply

Latest