The Student Room Group

A101 GEM University of Oxford 2022

Scroll to see replies

Rejection 😭
Reply 81
Original post by KMaisey
Rejection 😭

I’m so sorry :frown: I still haven’t gotten an email :/ what time did yours come and from what address
They’re out people, rejection as expected 🥲

Stats; 1st Class honours in Biomed
BMAT 4.6 4.4 3A
A-Levels: A*A*A*

2+ years HCA
2 weeks shadowing and hospital ward volunteering

I hope this is helpful for future applicants, and best of luck to those who were shortlisted!
Original post by luna-l
I’m so sorry :frown: I still haven’t gotten an email :/ what time did yours come and from what address

Came out at 7.31. From [email protected]
(edited 2 years ago)
Rejection too. 2:1 EEE degreeA*A*AB at a level BMAT 5.4 , 3.6 , 3A
Hi guys I got an interview. My stats are 1st class BSc Biomed, AAA* and 6.2, 5.4 and 4A in the BMAT.
Congratulations! Can I ask what sort of work experience etc. you did?
Reply 87
Hi, I also got accepted for an interview. 4.6, 4.7, 3.5A. 1st class hons in physiology from Ireland. I worked as a cancer researcher in the US for two years where I also shadowed and then I got an MPH in the US also. Currently research environmental epidemiology.
I was also shortlisted for interview which was a huge surprise - I thought the BMAT went badly and felt my supplementary form was rushed

I have a first in Biochem, got 5.2, 5.2, 3A for the BMAT, and my A levels are AABB (so not great in comparison to other people’s)

Hopefully this is helpful for future people looking to apply!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tsraccount786
Congratulations! Can I ask what sort of work experience etc. you did?

Of course - I graduated uni in June and since then I’ve got a job as a Pharmacy Assistant in a hospital, I’m a Home Support Volunteer with AgeUK/MacMillan and I did a week’s work experience in a microbiology lab a couple of years ago. I also have a job tutoring A-Level sciences. Hope this helps :smile:
Also shortlisted.

- 1st class BSc biochemistry
- current PhD in molecular biology
- A*A*A a levels (these were resits)
- bmat 5.9, 3.6, 3.5A
- worked as a vaccinator across pandemic, shadowed in hospital, volunteered as a befriender and also did some public health/science policy work
Original post by convection10101
Congratulations on being shortlisted for an interview. :smile:

When you say your a-levels were resits, do you mean you resat them during before your degree or after your degree?

Before my degree. Sorry to hear about the rejection. Hopefully, your other options get back to you.
Reply 92
Congrats everyone! Got an interview as well.
1st class in Chemistry, was unable to sit BMAT, I have not done A levels but have Italian equivalents. In terms of experience, I am working as an HCA in theatre and have spent 2 years volunteering with patients at risk of developing bowel cancer. Hope this helps!
Reply 93
Rejection. I don’t know whether to reapply next year. Did anyone here reapply then get an interview this time round?

I have! Got an interview this time around after a pre-interview rejection last year.
Reply 94
How long did everyone spend preparing for bmat? I’m trying to think about improving my results for next year’s cycle

two days tbh, but then again I didn’t do all that well in it despite managing to get an interview
Shortlisted here as well!

Experience: 2 months as a care assistant in a care home, 2 months part-time volunteering on an NHS acute mental health ward, very low commitment NHS responder role during pandemic, BSMS Virtual Work Experience (much less impressive than some other people here!!)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Coquito
I have! Got an interview this time around after a pre-interview rejection last year.

Congratulations - hope the interview goes well. Would really appreciate advice on what you did different! Also, was the previous rejection prior to graduating?
How long did everyone spend preparing for bmat? I’m trying to think about improving my results for next year’s cycle

I spent about two weeks on and off as I was working full time in labs but I wouldn’t recommend my way of preparing for it. There are definitely candidates out there with far better BMAT scores than mine so it’s up to you if you find this helpful!

I did all the practice papers from 2014 onwards (on average I did better in the real thing than in my mocks). I mainly focused on improving my Section 2 score as I’m awful at mental maths, and I thought Section 1 had some overlap with the UCAT, which went well for me. If I had more time I would have tried to memorise all the content from the BMAT Section 2 preparation guide, and done more calculation practice. I know not everyone does the UCAT for GEM but I felt that the speed strategies you learn for it helped me with the BMAT, especially with the new online format.

Sorry for writing so much but I hope this helps a little bit!

Hiya, soon to be Chemistry grad here - I also only spent 2 weeks prepping for BMAT because I am full-time in labs. I'd do 2ish hours every evening for those two weeks and then a bit more on the weekends (maybe 4 hours per day). I know it's widely recommended but I honestly can't big up medify enough for it's help. If you can fork out the £40 it costs it's a godsend - I spent all of my revision using their question banks and it did absolute wonders for my grade.

I'll admit I only spent 2 weeks because I did UCAT and GAMSAT revision earlier in the year which definitely helped prep me for all the time pressure of all the BMAT sections as well as the content for section 1. I'd also say in regards to the essays (I didn't do any practice ones before the exam because I felt like I didn't have enough time) that less really is more. I probably only wrote 250-300 words in total for my essay and keeping it short really helped me keep it focussed and directly answering the question with every sentence (the medify tips for essays really helped as well).

- Hope this helps! Am happy to answer any questions but am by no means an expert xx
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 99

If you get an offer for one of your other 3 unis for this cycle, I would take it. There's still no guarantee your BMAT score would increase, or you'd be offered an interview/offer for the next cycle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending