The Student Room Group

How do I make up for lack of extracurriculars in my personal statement?

Hi, this is my third post on TSR.
What course are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
What course are you applying for?

Sociology.
Original post by LZX2004
Sociology.

You don’t need extra curriculars for an academic degree like sociology. Your PS should be focused on your academic interests.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
You don’t need extra curriculars for an academic degree like sociology. Your PS should be focused on your academic interests.

I now understand. Thank you for answering! :smile:
Original post by LZX2004
I now understand. Thank you for answering! :smile:

In the US system, extra curriculars are seen as an important part of the application, but in the UK it is super curricular activities that unis are looking for (so wider reading, watching lectures, essay competitions etc.)
Original post by LZX2004
Hi, this is my third post on TSR.

Hi there, I'm also applying for sociology and am in the same position as you (no EC activitities). Do you mind explaining a bit about what you've included such as the structure and how you've explained your interest for the study?:smile:
Original post by booklover1313
In the US system, extra curriculars are seen as an important part of the application, but in the UK it is super curricular activities that unis are looking for (so wider reading, watching lectures, essay competitions etc.)

Wait, is this actually true?
Most universities don’t even read your personal statement so it’s not worth worrying about
@cleveranimal56 In terms of the US, obviously they are looking for super academic achievement, but they are also interested in you as a person and also your hobbies. So I have known people who had to write an essay on 'If you were a dessert what dessert would you be' as part of an application to a US Ivy League. That kind of question would just not be asked by UCAS/a university interview (unless it was Oxbridge being strange in a philosophy interview or something, but that would be very rare).
In the UK, although extracurriculars are impressive and can be useful for some degrees, so for example if you apply for dentistry, knitting would be good to show manual dexterity, the number of instruments you play would not be part of the offer-making process if you were applying for English. They want to see your engagement with the subject and how dedicated you are to it, which is where your super curricular activities come in.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by booklover1313
@cleveranimal56 In terms of the US, obviously they are looking for super academic achievement, but they are also interested in you as a person and also your hobbies. So I have known people who had to write an essay on 'If you were a dessert what dessert would you be' as part of an application to a US Ivy League. That kind of question would just not be asked by UCAS/a university interview (unless it was Oxbridge being strange in a philosophy interview or something, but that would be very rare).
In the UK, although extracurriculars are impressive and can be useful for some degrees, so for example if you apply for dentistry, knitting would be good to show manual dexterity, the number of instruments you play would not be part of the offer-making process if you were applying for English. They want to see your engagement with the subject and how dedicated you are to it, which is where your super curricular activities come in.

Ah, ok. Thanks for that. I'll aim for more super curriculars then. That's a long paragraph, thanks for writing it out :biggrin:
Original post by cleveranimal56
Ah, ok. Thanks for that. I'll aim for more super curriculars then. That's a long paragraph, thanks for writing it out :biggrin:

You're welcome! & no problem, I'm always happy to help :smile:
Hello!

I did my degree in Sociology and now lecture in the social sciences. Here is a useful UCAS video about personal statement writing which I show my students https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8hFkMAjW-I

I utilised my work experience from working in Asda to demonstrate skills such as time keeping, working to deadlines, team work and communication etc. My extra curricular activities are largely going to the football and listening to Dua Lipa, so my work experience was very useful

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 13
Original post by spicycat
Hi there, I'm also applying for sociology and am in the same position as you (no EC activitities). Do you mind explaining a bit about what you've included such as the structure and how you've explained your interest for the study?:smile:

I've applied for 2022 and also had no extra curriculars, I made up for it by mentioning books such as 'the protestant work ethic' by max weber and mentioning the growth of economies related to the book. As well as virtual lectures attended.
Original post by 123jc
I've applied for 2022 and also had no extra curriculars, I made up for it by mentioning books such as 'the protestant work ethic' by max weber and mentioning the growth of economies related to the book. As well as virtual lectures attended.

Do you think if I also mentioned a book, without the lectures that would be enough?
Original post by spicycat
Do you think if I also mentioned a book, without the lectures that would be enough?

I think you should aim for 2/3 supercurricular things, so try to find another book or something else you can talk about? But you don't need to have lectures, it's ok if you just read books!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending