The Student Room Group

There’s no more Adjustment from 2022?

It's true but there's still Clearing :redface:
Reply 2
i mean the adjustment and clearing places available are the same just different names.
Original post by 3908
i mean the adjustment and clearing places available are the same just different names.

They are different because Clearing is for people with no offers, or no offers they want to accept on results day. Whereas Adjustment used to allow people with offers to apply to another uni that had vacancies to see if they could "trade up". There was no risk as they didn't have to give up their original place but as long as they had met or exceeded the grades required by their Firm choice uni, they could use Adjustment to apply to a uni that required higher grades.

With Clearing, if you have an offer but want to try applying to a "better" uni requiring higher grades, you have to first of all decline the place you have so it is risky.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
They are different because Clearing is for people with no offers, or no offers they want to accept on results day. Whereas Adjustment used to allow people with offers to apply to another uni that had vacancies to see if they could "trade up". There was no risk as they didn't have to give up their original place but as long as they had met or exceeded the grades required by their Firm choice uni, they could use Adjustment to apply to a uni that required higher grades.

With Clearing, if you have an offer but want to try applying to a "better" uni requiring higher grades, you have to first of all decline the place you have so it is risky.

I mean the places available on a course were the same regardless whether you went through clearing or adjustment.
As in at University XYZ on their biomed course they have 28 available spot, they don't assign a portion of them to clearing and the rest to adjustment, its just 28 spots available.
Original post by 3908
I mean the places available on a course were the same regardless whether you went through clearing or adjustment.
As in at University XYZ on their biomed course they have 28 available spot, they don't assign a portion of them to clearing and the rest to adjustment, its just 28 spots available.

That is true.

Adjustment just carried less risk for the applicant, that was the only advantage but a good one
If you get very high grade you can still phone any Uni on Results Day and see if they have a place for you - this has not changed - and you do not need to be 'on Clearing' to do this. Once a Uni has said 'Yes' you can ask for this in an email before you let your other place go. High achiveving applicants have actually been doing this for years - 'adjustment' was recorded on so few applicant records UCAS realised it was totally out of date it was time to formally drop it.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
If you get very high grade you can still phone any Uni on Results Day and see if they have a place for you - this has not changed - and you do not need to be 'on Clearing' to do this. Once a Uni has said 'Yes' you can ask for this in an email before you let your other place go. High achiveving applicants have actually been doing this for years - 'adjustment' was recorded on so few applicant records UCAS realised it was totally out of date it was time to formally drop it.

So if i applied to X,Y university for say economics or management, and my predicted grades led me to being rejected by these universities. Could i phone the same universities if i received exceptional grades in the actual A level exam.
Thanks in advance
Original post by 716318
So if i applied to X,Y university for say economics or management, and my predicted grades led me to being rejected by these universities. Could i phone the same universities if i received exceptional grades in the actual A level exam.
Thanks in advance

Yes

You can ring any university in August.

If they aren’t advertising vacancies in clearing then there’s a higher chance that they’ll say no
Reply 9
What unis have you applied to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending