The Student Room Group

why are most fat people so obsessed with skinny people on social media?

the whole 'body positive' movement thing is a lie and only fat people are allowed to be part of it. if you're skinny you just get attacked and accused of random stuff like 'body checking' or eating disorders. they're such hypocrites too. they cry about how much they hate their bodies but when you offer them advise they get insulted or rant about 'skinny privilege'

i'm having a bad day, i'm so sick of everything sometimes :/

Scroll to see replies

thats why i try and avoid social media. just toxic bs a cesspit of hate. does nothing but make your day worse
I'm of the chunkier disposition and think it's wrong too, I've never subscribed to 'body positivity' as for me personally I don't feel positive about it.
If other's do then that's great but for me it's an unfortunate side effect of PCOS, antipsychotics and birth control. Something I'm trying to combat with swimming.
I have had 'fat' etc shouted at me by complete strangers and made to feel ugly pretty much my whole conscious life.
Its just as wrong to pick on thin people as it is overweight people.
Original post by CoolCavy
I'm of the chunkier disposition and think it's wrong too, I've never subscribed to 'body positivity' as for me personally I don't feel positive about it.
If other's do then that's great but for me it's an unfortunate side effect of PCOS, antipsychotics and birth control. Something I'm trying to combat with swimming.
I have had 'fat' etc shouted at me by complete strangers and made to feel ugly pretty much my whole conscious life.

Antipsychotics here too. :wavey: Also combatting with swimming. I do 66 lengths 3 or 4 times a week. How about you? Have you lost much weight yet?

I agree with CC that I don't subscribe to fat positivity. It's not a good thing and I'm sick and tired of being fat. I have "excuses" which make me feel even worse.
I'm not sure whether it is the majority of visibly overweight people active on social media.
Culprits may just be a small number of very noisy keyboard warriors with lots of dupe accounts or spiteful trolls obsessed targeting those much slimmer than themselves.
Probably motivated by habitual envy, malice or deep insecurity arising from bitterness about their own appearance & health choices.
Skinny privilege? That’s a new one to me.
sorry but there's no such thing as "skinny privilege"
I used to be pretty small, I was barely a hundred pounds when I was into running.
I've gained like twenty pounds since quitting and being lazy ahah, and seriously I get treat exactly the same. there is no skinny privilege.
I used to be obese. People didn’t want to know me, they thought that they had the right to comment on what I eat- it was everyone’s problem, not just mine. Now I am about a size 8-10 people never treat me differently for my size.

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)
Its probably not great for my mental health but I follow skinny/toned guys on social media as I keep telling myself I'll look like that one day (it'll never happen I hate most exercise and love food too much) and they look hot. But I would never shame someone who's skinny just because I'm a little overweight and they are skinny, If I had a body like that id be posting more pictures on social media.
(edited 2 years ago)
Can you not use the word inbred as an insult please
Original post by Ciel.
the whole 'body positive' movement thing is a lie and only fat people are allowed to be part of it. if you're skinny you just get attacked and accused of random stuff like 'body checking' or eating disorders. they're such hypocrites too. they cry about how much they hate their bodies but when you offer them advise they get insulted or rant about 'skinny privilege'

Jealousy probs
Reply 11
Original post by CoolCavy

they can feel positive about it if they wish, doesn't bother me. i just wish they'd stop harassing others.
and yeah, i get that overweight people get a lot of hate too
Original post by Sabertooth
Antipsychotics here too. :wavey: Also combatting with swimming. I do 66 lengths 3 or 4 times a week. How about you? Have you lost much weight yet?

I agree with CC that I don't subscribe to fat positivity. It's not a good thing and I'm sick and tired of being fat. I have "excuses" which make me feel even worse.

crazy how meds can do that.. fear of weight gain was one of the reasons why i decided to stop taking my meds tbh

i wouldn't say that. i mean yeah, it's filled with a lot of toxic people but you can meet tons of fun people and learn lots of new things. you can make some extra £££ too
Original post by londonmyst
I'm not sure whether it is the majority of visibly overweight people active on social media.
Culprits may just be a small number of very noisy keyboard warriors with lots of dupe accounts or spiteful trolls obsessed targeting those much slimmer than themselves.
Probably motivated by habitual envy, malice or deep insecurity arising from bitterness about their own appearance & health choices.

yeah it's prob just a bunch of ***** but it's like they're everywhere, lol
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Skinny privilege? That’s a new one to me.

apparently it's a thing....
Original post by lucyyy12
sorry but there's no such thing as "skinny privilege"
I used to be pretty small, I was barely a hundred pounds when I was into running.
I've gained like twenty pounds since quitting and being lazy ahah, and seriously I get treat exactly the same. there is no skinny privilege.

it exists only in their minds
Original post by Cancelled Alice
I used to be obese. People didn’t want to know me, they thought that they had the right to comment on what I eat- it was everyone’s problem, not just mine. Now I am about a size 8-10 people never treat me differently for my size.

Spoiler

congrats on your weight loss
Original post by Fresher18
Its probably not great for my mental health but I follow skinny/toned guys on social media as I keep telling myself I'll look like that one day (it'll never happen I hate most exercise and love food too much) and they look hot. But I would never shame someone who's skinny just because I'm a little overweight and they are skinny, If I had a body like that id be posting more pictures on social media.

you can do it.. i believe in you, haha
Original post by Little pecker

can i use it as a compliment?
Original post by Smeraldettoi
Jealousy probs

probs..
Dunno because I don’t use other social medias. But, it sounds weird as hell and it sounds exclusively specific to social media, due to social media. Wouldn’t be surprised if they see it as a way to get free clout or whatever.
Original post by Little pecker

If you prefer to see & hear it used as a compliment, you could always relocate to alabama. :tongue:
My family tree includes centuries of consanguineous marriages and endogamy, accompanied by all the problems that arise from them. :facepalm:
Reply 14
Original post by 0ptics
Dunno because I don’t use other social medias. But, it sounds weird as hell and it sounds exclusively specific to social media, due to social media. Wouldn’t be surprised if they see it as a way to get free clout or whatever.

idk,.. some will go out of their way and post comments or video responses
Original post by Ciel.
idk,.. some will go out of their way and post comments or video responses

That’s for most every **** trend that goes on. Everyone posted videos on those who faked disorders, for example. Still doesn’t make that trend die down, unfortunately…
Reply 16
Original post by 0ptics
That’s for most every **** trend that goes on. Everyone posted videos on those who faked disorders, for example. Still doesn’t make that trend die down, unfortunately…

it's kinda messed up. tbh like on tiktok there's suddenly an influx of people with did. and yeah i do think that some of them are faking it but still, actually making videos about them is pretty *****y. you never know for sure, like you're not their doctor.
Reply 17
Original post by Ciel.

FR
Nuff said.
It’s social media... people always looking for something to cry about.

In the real world i never hear about such things.
Social Media certainly doesn't help with body image stuff in my experience

But for me the whole concept of body image is wrong. The important thing is body health. If you're looking at your Kg and have a goal for what that number should be, that needs to be in the context of your age, height, sex. The target should actually be a healthy BMI.

This discourse in my view should mostly be about information, not pictures and clothes sizes.

Quick Reply

Latest