The Student Room Group

Labiaplasty options

Asking for a family member...
They have labial hypertrophy however is becoming irritating and causing pain/discomfort when wearing certain clothes etc.
Labiaplasty is usually seen as a cosmetic plastic procedure so I'd assume the NHS don't provide it however in her case its due to discomfort which is affecting her quality of life so in this case would the NHS fund this type of surgery?
If she went to the GP about this would they refer her to gynaecology or would they just say it would require a private cosmetic procedure?
Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience w this at all.
Would getting private health insurance cover this cost if the labiaplasty is for medical reasons and not purely cosmetic reasons as currently cosmetic plastic surgery is not covered by private insurance?

Thanks!
As it’s causing them pain and discomfort, the NHS are likely to consider funding such a treatment, depending on the severity and which health authority you live in. Definitely advise them to talk to their GP, they will be able to help
Reply 2
Original post by jessica1801
As it’s causing them pain and discomfort, the NHS are likely to consider funding such a treatment, depending on the severity and which health authority you live in. Definitely advise them to talk to their GP, they will be able to help

I've read other peoples threads in the past saying they had similar experiences and the NHS didn't fund it so Im not if its worth the fuss and embarrassment she has of going to the GP.
Original post by Anonymous
I've read other peoples threads in the past saying they had similar experiences and the NHS didn't fund it so Im not if its worth the fuss and embarrassment she has of going to the GP.

It’s nothing to be embarrassed about, she can request a female GP and they will be understanding. It’s definitely worth a shot as some places may fund it, every local authority is different. Even if they don’t they may be able to offer some creams etc. If people can get boob jobs on the NHS there is definitely a chance she can get labiaplasty funded, especially when it’s causing her pain

Quick Reply

Latest