The Student Room Group

Are EPQs worth it?

Is doing an EPQ worth it for healthcare courses? Cuz i really dont want to do a presentation infront of other people.
Original post by Lemon 24
Is doing an EPQ worth it for healthcare courses? Cuz i really dont want to do a presentation infront of other people.

It's so not worth it. I did mine starting this year in year 13 but didn't get a predicted grade for it so none of my offers even includes the EPQ. It's a massive time sink especially in Y13, maybe consider it if you can do it in Y12 which i know some colleges offer. The presentation wasn't too bad, we just had to talk for around 10 mins and the supervisor had really basic questions which we knew would come up.

The only real benefit it has gained me is probably something to talk about in my interviews. Also, I'm not sure about all unis but my choices want a A grade or else they don't even adjust the offer for you which sucks.
Reply 2
don't do it its another annoying thing to add. I started mine in Yr12 and didn't finish until a few weeks ago. I kept stressing about now and now falling behind on content! Don't do it!
If you're in year 13, or going to take it in year 13 I wouldn't recommend it - if you can do it all in the summer break before then maybe. I would first research what Unis and what courses give you reduced offers for EPQ, and which Unis consider it in your application. It's not a huge time sink, realistically you can get it done in a couple of weeks The presentation isn't hugely daunting, for me it was only about 5 of us in a room, one teacher, the rest of us students doing presentations. Ultimately, it is an extra competitive edge on your application - which is always helpful
I found it worth it, but all year 13s at my college had to do it anyway unless you took 4 A Levels. It meant that I could select one of my uni offers as my insurance (due to lower grades as long as I got a good enough grade in EPQ) that I definitely would not have been able to use as an insurance without the EPQ.

Depends on the uni you apply to though. Not all universities consider it and it is a major time sink as others have said, but it can be worth it if your uni and course considers it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending