The Student Room Group

Can you learn German easily???

Is it easy to learn German?

Scroll to see replies

No.
I started to learn German a few years back and I found it was easier to remember translation for words but not so much to speak.
It depends on what you mean exactly, but probably no.
Relative to other languages, German is fairly easy for an English speaker, but learning another language with any sort of fluency is always difficult.
Reply 4
Not really, thankfully it's phonetically consistent so pronunciation isn't difficult to figure out, but god damn if it isn't tedious learning all that ihr and ihm and ihnen and all the -ein endings
The question is a bit broad. Learning is always going to be relative to the person doing the learning. Maybe you have a natural affinity for languages, in which case, maybe? In general, I think learning any language other than your own past 10 years old will prove a challenge.
(edited 2 years ago)
no, but this song can help you:

it's a bop
If you want to speak, then you will need to have a German teacher and Duolingo can also help, but your question is rather broad.

I'm half German by the way :smile:
Original post by Il1L

I never knew that!! I can't speak any German I'm afraid :laugh: closest I've got is Danish :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Il1L
If you want to speak, then you will need to have a German teacher and Duolingo can also help, but your question is rather broad.

Wow ! Where in Germany are you from??
Original post by Cidgirl
Wow ! Where in Germany are you from??

Norddeutschland so not in Bayern (the accent is very different there)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 11
Wow nice. Btw are accents from all regions different???
Reply 12
Original post by Il1L
Norddeutschland so not in Bayern (the accent is very different there)

Original post by Cidgirl

This
Original post by Cidgirl
This

No, I don't think so, but have you ever compared Bovarian German with other parts. I know they have their own dialect
Original post by Il1L
No, I don't think so

But I might be wrong
:eviltongue:
Original post by Cidgirl

Original post by Il1L
No, I don't think so, but have you ever compared Bovarian German with other parts. I know they have their own dialect

Accents do vary across regions, as do dialects. There's even a quiz somewhere to see if you can guess which region each accent is from. (It's not necessarily a strong variation though, if the regions are geographically close.) As for dialects, dialects across southern Germany in particular can be really different, and people from different regions may find each other's dialects incomprehensible. Even the local way to say hello varies, e.g. different phrase in northern Germany vs. southern Germany. Interesting fact: "standard" German was actually the dialect identified as most understandable by all other regions of Germany.
(edited 2 years ago)
Nein
Reply 18
The accents and dialects are even more extreme the UK, they differ from region to region and there are big differences. In Bavaria they have a dialect that is more like Austrian and very hard to understand if you're not used to it. In Saxony it is also like that where the accent is extremely strong and they have dialect and use words only people in that part of Germany use. Regarding your question I have learnt French and German and would say they are both about the same difficulty level, if anything German is a bit easier at the start because at its basic level it is like English as it is in the same language family. But once you get going it is pretty hard.
Original post by Cidgirl
Is it easy to learn German?

Nooo..... Too many cases.

Quick Reply

Latest