The Student Room Group

graduate prospects for pharmacy?

hi all, i intend to begin studying pharmacy this year and ive read about medical affairs. this is something that interests me but ive read that around 70% of graduates (dont remember the exact number) end up working in community pharmacy, which i havent heard great things about. how could i bolster my applciation during university/ as a graduate to secure roles like medical affairs or even in finance firms? TIA
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LilGoat7
hi all, i intend to begin studying pharmacy this year and ive read about medical affairs. this is something that interests me but ive read that around 70% of graduates (dont remember the exact number) end up working in community pharmacy, which i havent heard great things about. how could i bolster my applciation during university/ as a graduate to secure roles like medical affairs or even in finance firms? TIA

Obviously you're a long way from this, but this sounds like an interesting Post-grad Masters.
https://www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/pharmaceutical-science-msc/
Boots have just announced all newly qualified pharmacists will begin on £42k p.a. (see Chemist and Druggist online.)
Reply 3
Original post by mrlittlebigman
Boots have just announced all newly qualified pharmacists will begin on £42k p.a. (see Chemist and Druggist online.)

thank you for telling me about this, i will look more into this!

Bleep - (looks like they are trying to s attract more people to Stay/ address their high turnover

What's the salary like after 5 years for experienced pharmacists? Still £42k? That's why I think hospital pharmacy long term is better.
thank you for telling me about this, i will look more into this!

What do you think of the Post-grad at Kingston? Is that the kind of work you would like to do?

(And yes Quasa, I think they had to do something after a decade of stagnant pay, especially as PCN and CCG jobs start at around £40k now don't they on a Band7?)
Original post by Sharpshooter
What's the salary like after 5 years for experienced pharmacists? Still £42k? That's why I think hospital pharmacy long term is better.

Hospital, pay is banded, which you can easily Google to see what the rates are. I think pre-reg is around band 6, then you start on Band 7, and then senior pharmacists work up Band8, a, b, and c roles.
Band 9 I think is very senior, like head of department, etc.

As for after 5 years in community, who knows?! Locum rates have been stagnant since about 2008, and are only now starting to increase, mainly due to the new jobs popping up in CCG/PCN organisations for the NHS. My average rate is around £23 for local work. I have recently received £32/hr and also £28/hr, but the market is very much in flux at the moment.

If you join Chemist and Druggist website you can read more there if you register (for free!).
Reply 8
What do you think of the Post-grad at Kingston? Is that the kind of work you would like to do?

(And yes Quasa, I think they had to do something after a decade of stagnant pay, especially as PCN and CCG jobs start at around £40k now don't they on a Band7?)

im interested in becoming a final signatory/medical affairs, but im not sure about what it entails after graduating from pharmacy-i know that i must be registered with GPhC, but other than that is there anything i can do during/after uni to bolster my CV? Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by quasa
Bleep - (looks like they are trying to s attract more people to Stay/ address their high turnover

Others join the party now!
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk/CD136217/How-much-do-Superdrug-and-Lloydspharmacy-pay-newly-qualified-pharmacists

Superdrug £45k
Lloyds £43.5k

And if you work 100 hours a week you too can earn £100k a year, drive a ranger rover and live in a mansion. Who needs to go to med school!?
im interested in becoming a final signatory/medical affairs, but im not sure about what it entails after graduating from pharmacy-i know that i must be registered with GPhC, but other than that is there anything i can do during/after uni to bolster my CV? Thank you!

Do lots of extra curricular work in uni / have well rounded cv. Pass your prereg. Get entry level med info role in pharmaceutical company or work as hospital and / gp practice for a few years and apply for jobs in med affair. Do signatory training for 2 years.

Downside is - extremely competitive
Original post by ChillBear
And if you work 100 hours a week you too can earn £100k a year, drive a ranger rover and live in a mansion. Who needs to go to med school!?

The pay increase is a positive thing, no need to be pessimistic

42k starting outside of London / 48k inside London for band 7 with 0 experience. Upper end is 52-53k for London / High 40s outside London for band 7 with some experience for nhs. I can confirm however you can earn over 50k outside of London whilst working 37.5 hours / week as a band 7 but it involves a Saturday - Wednesday work week instead of Mon-Friday with the odd weekend or night shift (plus side far far far better working conditions than community)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ChillBear

Exactly 😂:rofl:

1 thing worth noting however is that in Claremonts neck of the woods, 5-7 bedroom houses are less than £200k. Or for a description for southerners, a 5 bedroom house up north s the same price as a 1 bedroom flat in the home counties, Kent, Surrey, sussex

Saying that however another thing worth noting is Claremont started practicing in the UK in their 40s and had a pharmacy and military career beforehand abroad, thus are likely to have saved a lot of money by the time they started practicing
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15
Original post by quasa
Do lots of extra curricular work in uni / have well rounded cv. Pass your prereg. Get entry level med info role in pharmaceutical company or work as hospital and / gp practice for a few years and apply for jobs in med affair. Do signatory training for 2 years.

Downside is - extremely competitive

is it possible to do signatory training straight after passing your pre reg, or would i have to get an entry level job first? how long would i have to work before being eligible to do signatory training? whats the applicaiton process like? sorry if this sounds silly, im not very knowledgable about this
is it possible to do signatory training straight after passing your pre reg, or would i have to get an entry level job first? how long would i have to work before being eligible to do signatory training? whats the applicaiton process like? sorry if this sounds silly, im not very knowledgable about this

Not possible to do straight from uni / prereg as you need to have a lot of experience. You need to be a medical advisor in order to do the 2 year course to be a final signatory but in order to be a medical advisor, you need experience in the speciality you are interested in, which you can only do via working in a med info / reviewer role or working in hospital / gp for a few years.

You're really looking 10 yrs down the track here, as Quasa has mentioned. You could look at some of the websites of BigPharma companies to see what careers are on offer in this field, and also which degrees they are most interested in you having.

Have you totally given up on Medicine now? ( a quick look at your other posts )
Don't do pharmacy if you really want to be a Dr. Take a gap year and re-apply. Doing pharmacy then GEM, if that had crossed your mind will take much longer, be more expensive, and much more competitive to access, (as Dr. Ecolier will tell you!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending